Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

Garmin Fenix 5S

Recommended Posts

Jim Vander

I used my  garmin instinct for the first time this year on my Michigan trip after receiving it for fathers day.Its a game changer. I don't think I pulled my alpha out but a few times it was that good. Had to reach into pocket a few times for correction but that was it. Highly recommend this capability regardless of which watch you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood

Which is simpler to use the Fenix or the Instinct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaks
24 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Which is simpler to use the Fenix or the Instinct?

 

Im interested in this as well. Im pretty much sold on a watch that connects to my alpha, had been thinking the Fenix but with the current sale on the instinct its pretty darn attractive, especially if also simpler to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus

Pretty sure the Fenix has more bells and whistles but not in respect to the Alpha . Both show direction and distance and that's what's necessary . I bought the Fenix on sale this Summer , a no brainer .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OutlawTorn

Looks like there's a couple apps available to connect the Alpha to the Fenix 5 - which one do you guys like best?

 

I do have a few complaints about my Fenix 5, wondered if others had the same problems or if I potentially have a warranty issue?

  1.   Whatever app is in my "favorite" position, usually the dog tracker app - but it's also happened with the HRV monitor, tends to turn itself on by itself several times throughout the day.  I'll glance at the watch and it is searching for an Alpha to connect to.
  2. Occasionally the flashlight feature turns on by itself.
  3. [Resolved - thanks Locher] Connecting the watch to my Alpha is not always seamless.  Sometimes it pairs right away, other times I mess with it for 10 minutes and can't get it to work.  I didn't end up using it that much this hunting season as a result.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locher

There's widget that comes preloaded on the Fenix 5.  If I remember correctly, it doesn't show up automatically, you have to tell it to show up (I don't remember exactly how to do it but I found how to do it online).  Basically, I push the button on the left side of the watch at the 9 o'clock position and it starts searching for my alpha.  It usually connects in a few seconds.  It really couldn't be any easier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OutlawTorn
1 hour ago, Locher said:

There's widget that comes preloaded on the Fenix 5.  If I remember correctly, it doesn't show up automatically, you have to tell it to show up (I don't remember exactly how to do it but I found how to do it online).  Basically, I push the button on the left side of the watch at the 9 o'clock position and it starts searching for my alpha.  It usually connects in a few seconds.  It really couldn't be any easier.

 

 

Oh man, it's a Widget not an App!  I found it and it connected immediately!

 

I assumed it was an App and had been using something I downloaded from the Connect IQ store.  Granted, the App seems to have more features but it was a pain to use...but this widget is great!  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locher

Glad to help.  I went through the same thing when I got mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sidelock

Can the Instinct connect or be paired with the PRO 550 PLUS ?  On Garmin's 550 plus page it shows that the Instinct is "compatible" but in the overview it only shows the 550 plus pairing with the Fenix and DriveTrack and on the Instinct page it only shows that the watch connects with the Astro or Alpha and no mention of the 550 plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sidelock
9 hours ago, sidelock said:

Can the Instinct connect or be paired with the PRO 550 PLUS ?  On Garmin's 550 plus page it shows that the Instinct is "compatible" but in the overview it only shows the 550 plus pairing with the Fenix and DriveTrack and on the Instinct page it only shows that the watch connects with the Astro or Alpha and no mention of the 550 plus. 

Just checked out the link to gundog supply and discovered that the Instinct does link to the pro 550 plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood

 so when one fires up a Fenix or Instinct how many times does one have to press various buttons to get to the screen showing the dog locations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ScottGrush
16 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

 so when one fires up a Fenix or Instinct how many times does one have to press various buttons to get to the screen showing the dog locations?

You can change the order. So it could be as little as one button push. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood
7 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

You can change the order. So it could be as little as one button push. 

Excellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus
9 hours ago, Dogwood said:

 so when one fires up a Fenix or Instinct how many times does one have to press various buttons to get to the screen showing the dog locations?

Mine is one button push also .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus

I have another question . I'm assuming that when I save truck's location on the Alpha that somehow it registers to the Fenix . How does one show that on the Fenix ? I've never tried it and just realized it can be done . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×