REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... Ă—
Brad Eden

Annual 2019/2020 Weather Check Topic

Big Pine

Better than 50 degrees today in Michiana. The highs will be back around freezing later this week, and everyone will get right back to complaining. 🙄 We’ve been roughly ten degrees above average for two months now, and I’ve had two days of local cross country skiing. Bums me out.

Brad Eden

B***lbuster couple days. Snow sleet, rain, freezing rain, repeat. Came very close to being a damaging ice storm, with power outages etc., but somehow most trees and limbs including my huge Pines didn’t buckle under the weight of ice. Although some limbs that are typically way overhead have tips that are about touching the ground. I’m not sure about the rest of Maine and New England. Wind picked up last evening which may have done some damage. Just a miserable mess. I managed to make a couple passes with plow early, then moved some frozen ice and snow with tractor, but hardly made a dent. Only about 3-5 inches, but it’s all frozen and crunchy and hard to deal with. Snowblower never made an appearance. I’ll see if the plow or tractor can do anything with it later. Only good is we had a mostly clear gravel driveway and yard prior and this should leave a hard packed coating which is imperative for plowing and bucket floating. Otherwise the plow and bucket catch and dig up driveway and the lawn where I push back snow. 

Winter has officially arrived. February is the death zone. Whoopee.

max2

I have worked outside for most of my adult life. Excluding the past 15 yrs. That said North Jersey you can work year round with for the most part the coldest temps in the teens.  February I have found can be a tricky month and in all the yrs have seen but one mild Feb. It was in the 90's. If Feb was a person I would call them a miserable son of a gun. As well as the first two weeks of March.

Just some of my observations . Here where I currently reside it can be winter up until mid-May & then starts up Mid-Oct.

Samuel Hoggson

Don't remember which one of you geniuses (said sincerely) first mentioned redundancy vis-a-vis snow equipment.  A truth that borders on the analytic.  So far used the big blower just twice.  Will be going out with the Toro this AM for the fifth time this season.  Other day used the loader's cutting edge to cut through ice and then scrape it.  

Suspect we had a bit less freezing rain than Brad.  More sand.....uh, sleet.....but even the Toro threw it just fine. 

drummer's stump

We got about a foot(ish) of snow, it is really hard to tell because when the wind comes from the east it picks up snow off the lake to dumps it. I cleaned the ends of the driveway yesterday about 3:00 and there was about 5", so I think a foot is a good estimate. I cannot wait until next year, I decided to get a 36" Honda snowblower. We sold the plow truck before Christmas, and decided that snowblowing was the better removal option. 

Brad Eden
45 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Don't remember which one of you geniuses (said sincerely) first mentioned redundancy vis-a-vis snow equipment.  A truth that borders on the analytic.  So far used the big blower just twice.  Will be going out with the Toro this AM for the fifth time this season.  Other day used the loader's cutting edge to cut through ice and then scrape it.  

Suspect we had a bit less freezing rain than Brad.  More sand.....uh, sleet.....but even the Toro threw it just fine. 

I’m taking credit for that....big ass snowthrower...plow truck...tractor...shovel...

gunsrus

I ordered a whole house generator 6 weeks ago here in Ma , already have one in Maine . We have had such mild temperatures that I can't schedule delivery of the unit . The truck will have to back up over lawn that I just had fixed from last year . That cost me $2000 to fix . 

I look forward to colder temps but nothing below freezing for at least two weeks . Time will tell , I'm in no hurry . 

I know I'm throwing gas on the fire . 

Brad Eden

We are getting a whole house generator next year. Wasn’t in the budget this year. I’m already kicking myself. I was perched to set up the portable 7500 Generac all day yesterday. Works great and runs whole house but it doesn’t when we are away in winter.

Brad Eden
49 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

We got about a foot(ish) of snow, it is really hard to tell because when the wind comes from the east it picks up snow off the lake to dumps it. I cleaned the ends of the driveway yesterday about 3:00 and there was about 5", so I think a foot is a good estimate. I cannot wait until next year, I decided to get a 36" Honda snowblower. We sold the plow truck before Christmas, and decided that snowblowing was the better removal option. 

I’m a lot further south than you so not a fair comparison. I dealt with the snow and our nearly 300’ driveway with a big Cub Cadet snowthrower for the first 3 years here. The were simply conditions that it couldn’t deal well with and the same goes for any brand. Heavy frozen slush, and frozen 4’ plus stone and sand filled berms at end of driveway left by town plow. Knowing I had to get Jo out the driveway to her hospital job had me up before dark trying to clear all that. Got the plow which is great, but the Kubota sub compact is the life saver. With that said when we have a nice fresh dump of 8’ plus, nothing does as clean and efficient a job as the snow thrower. It just takes longer.

drummer's stump

If we ever had any weather I couldn't hand with the snowblower, I have an Ace in the hole.

160m.png

gunsrus
18 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

We are getting a whole house generator next year. Wasn’t in the budget this year. I’m already kicking myself. I was perched to set up the portable 7500 Generac all day yesterday. Works great and runs whole house but it doesn’t when we are away in winter.

I've had the gasoline generator for 20 years with no problems but I was always home . Now , retired and want to travel a bit , a whole house generator makes sense . 

quailguy

So far here in kinda the middle of eastern PA we have had a mild winter except for 2-3 weeks in late November and early December. Those were frigid.  Had 1/2 inch of snow which started as almost an inch of rain yesterday. It’s 29 deg now, so not toooo bad for this time of year. Lots of rain and snow though. 

Samuel Hoggson
2 hours ago, drummer's stump said:

I cannot wait until next year, I decided to get a 36" Honda snowblower.

Looks like they now have independent track motion so to steer nicely.  The pull start models don't seem as popular, but hate changing small engine batteries out every two years.  They also have a new "hybrid" model?   

gunsrus

Whole house generator in Maine is getting a workout . Ahhhhh peace of mind !

Natty Bumpo

15 deg F presently in Lake Effect Central, MI. About 3" of light. fluffy stuff came down last nite. Sun is out now and will warm up into the 20s today. Three-six inches more snow  expected tomorrow. Big weather news here is that Lake Michigan (and LK Huron)  are at record high levels and lakeshore houses and cottages are being inundated by the high water and some are falling into the lake. Major renovations underway at Fishtown for example. My brother has such a house and they are spending ungodly amounts of $$$$$ to install more riprap to stabilize their waterfront bank. Several roads on Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas along the water have been closed recently and they will need major repairs before they can be reopened sometime this summer.