Annual 2019/2020 Weather Check Topic

Wife and I decided to try our hand at the snowbird life and rented a place in a Florida for the month. Not bad, not bad at all.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Samuel Hoggson

• bigjohnsd

• max2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we ever had any weather I couldn't hand with the snowblower, I have an Ace in the hole.

-17 this morning and calling for -20 tonight. And being the caring husband I am I will go start the wife’s car to warm it up 20 minutes before she leaves for work. 😉

65F here in Western South Dakota today, I can't remember the last time I went for a motorcycle ride in February. I rode about 100 miles stopped for lunch and finished up with this great piece of

Posted Images

RuffChaser

When KI got out of bed at 5 am it was -5F ambient, -20F with the wind chill. It's supposed to warm up today and we're supposed to get 2-6 in of snow this evening/tonight.

drummer's stump

After a beautiful clear night, we are paying for it this morning -21. I headed to town here in a minute to shoot a few rounds of skeet.

• 2 weeks later...
Brad Eden

-4° this morning. A bit crisp. Was supposed to be closer to -12° so practically a heat wave. The old ‘06 truck cranked a bit but caught strong. Sure do love having the pellet stove cranking, after bringing house and basement up to temp early AM with hot air furnace. Next best thing to wood heat, and not nearly as messy or laborious. (I did wood for 26 years at old farmhouse) The drawback is it needs juice to run.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Low 20's this morning and more snow. Get to plow at least once every day, sometimes twice. Supposed to be minus 10 tonight, so at least it won't snow much. Twenty five years ago I thought freezing to death in the dark built character, now I just realize that I'm stupid.

After about two weeks of temps in the 80s we finally have a nasty day.  Overcast with a north wind, temp 59.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should do like Noah and build an Ark. We've so much rain it's just not funny.  Also the weather fluctuations are crazy. Highs in the upper 70'- low 80's a couple days then highs in the 30's - low 40's.  looks like more rain on the way next week.  We need a break.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, mccuha said:

I'm beginning to wonder if I should do like Noah and build an Ark. We've so much rain it's just not funny.  Also the weather fluctuations are crazy. Highs in the upper 70'- low 80's a couple days then highs in the 30's - low 40's.  looks like more rain on the way next week.  We need a break.

I’ve seen that in the news. Good luck. I hope it stops soon, and we may be taking a winter break in SC in March. We miss visiting Charlotte when my daughter lived there. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I’ve seen that in the news. Good luck. I hope it stops soon, and we may be taking a winter break in SC in March. We miss visiting Charlotte when my daughter lived there. 

Yep. According to the local weather man , we usually average about 4” this time of the year.  We so far have gotten over 8”.  Some parts above us got 8” n 24 hrs week before last.  March can be a really nice time to come.  Normally by mid March were in the 70’s possibly 80’s.  

bigjohnsd

I drove from Minneapolis to Spearfish yesterday, high 40's most of the way, a little breeze out of the NW, beautiful blue skies.  

My plan was to head to AZ tomorrow morning for a week long motorcycle ride. 

Departure for AZ delayed by a winter storm.

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 12
inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...The Sturgis/Piedmont Foot Hills and the Northern Foot
Hills.

* WHEN...Until 11 AM MST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing
snow could significantly reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather
conditions are expected. This will create dangerous conditions.

Road conditions are available on your smartphone from the
5 1 1 app for your state.

At the moment it is snowing horizontally, I cannot see I-90 which is 200 yards behind my house. 4" on the deck since 0900.

Will wait until Wednesday morning to head South

bigjohnsd

Freya, my motorcycle, on the trailer in the garage, ready for a trip to AZ to escape winter.
Just blew a foot and a half of heavy wet snow off the driveway.
Roads in NE Wyoming are closed, storm warning expires at noon, still snowing heavily now.
Sitting here waiting to leave.
I intensely dislike winter today.

Brad Eden

37° and will get to 40° most likely. A predicted snow storm of 8-12 “ of wet snow has been downgraded to wind and rain and some snow mixed in with no significant accumulation. Wind means our power will likely go out at some point. Don’t blink up here in Maine.

Natty Bumpo

Whiteout road conditions here at the moment. That big storm went South of us yesterday and today we are getting the wraparound winds which follow those weather makers. Estimated 8-.12 inches of lake effect snow here the next two days.

Very little of LK MI is frozen over, so the conditions are perfect for LE snow out of the NW. Lake Michigan is at historically high watermarks right now and many shoreline properties are getting pounded and badly damaged; with some being beyond repair. Glad we don't own one of these but my brother does. :(

Samuel Hoggson

toothpastesnow.thumb.JPG.2c9eddbab2db09655114c20c0f1c5160.JPG

We didn't get downgraded enough.  6" of sticky, abrasive USP Bore Paste.  Tractor could manage just 30' throw.

Slow going on the Tubbs, too.  Dogs don't care.