REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bullseyebill

Which ecollar/ecollar combo recommendations

bullseyebill

I like the GPS collar on the dogs as reduces the risk of lost or wondering dogs.  Right now I have a dog whose sight is going and having a collar is good to track her down.  I like have the ecollar to do recalls and prevent really bad behavior like chasing a deer.  I'm not a fan of the constant tones of beeper collars.  I don't have one even though being able to have the collar tone on demand would be good if trying to find a dog.

With that being said, I want a combo gps/ecollar.  For those that have a combo collars, what brand are you using and pros/cons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cindy

gaberdeen

Cindy,

I run the Garmin Alpha but use it mainly for the tracking. Rarely have I used the e-collar functions on it. Mostly because I find it a bit complicated to use. That said I would look at the Garmin 550 pro plus. It has simple tracking and a much easier to use collar function. Probably will be the next one I buy.

grouse28

I have a Garmin Alpha and like it for hunting big woods and country. Also cool to see how far you and the dogs have gone.

The compass pointer is ok when a dog is on point, with a vibration notice on the handheld.

However I also have a Sport Dog 1875. Beeper is nice when dog is on point. I run in point mode only.

Drives me nuts to hear a beeper going off every 10 seconds or so. You can also shut off the beeper remotely with the hand held.

I often turn it off once I have a visual on the dog on point. Also can shut it off when taking a break.

I just started running both collars, sometimes I have a hard time locating the sound of the beeper and the Alpha points me in the right direction. I have talked to Garmin about adding a beeper to their GPS collar, but that fell out on deaf ears. “Why would you need that feature on a GPS collar?” I would like it.

The Garmin is somewhat awkward for corrections, especially running more than one dog.

I don’t care for the touch screen, tough to use under field conditions and It gets “touched” by bumping against my vest.

The Sport Dog is much easier for corrections. 

Many good products out there.

gunsrus

Expensive but worth it , Alpha . You can buy the Fenix watch to add later . Perfect combo . 

Dogwood

Bought an Alpha. More functions then I'll ever use and consequently too complex.  Exchanged it for a 550 Pro Plus.  Super simple.  Big arrow shows what direction and distance to the dog.  When it's on point. E-collar buttons right on the front with an adjusting knob on top. All I'll ever need and want.  Perfect.  Will pair it with my Instinct.

parker 20

I really like the 550 pro,simple to use,can track 3 dogs with the flick of a switch,arrow points towards dog ,gives you yardage to him,North indicator ,easy to use correction .Since I bought mine 3 of my friends have also bought them.  Front range gun dog a sponsor of   UJ sells them

great service, from a serious bird hunter

Wet Dog

I have the pro 550plus too and like it as well.  Just note to make updates to the TT15 collar you need a PC, won't work on a mac.  The  TT15 mini will work on both.

tut

Another vote for the  pro 550 plus.  I had a Astro 320 just for tracking and found it had more features then I need or wanted.  Sold it and this year bought the Pro 550 Plus and the TT15 mini.  The good thing is I had my old T5 mini left over from my Astro and synced that up with the collar.  I leave that one turned on back at the truck, so I can always get back there when I need to if I get turned around (aka lost).  My buddy does have the Alpha and loves it, but I found it to confusing for my pea sized brain.  I do like to see how many miles the dogs work in a given day and the Astro/Alpha provide that capability which the Pro 550 Plus does not.

PS.  I used to run a Tritronic G3 Upland and a Lovetts beeper.  Now, I still run the beeper but only on point mode.   Have to admit, running a pup while tracking her on the Pro 550 plus and then hearing the beeper go on while she is on point is pretty exciting.  Also, in really thick thick cover the beeper helps me pointpoint where Sophie is. 

gaberdeen

I'm seriously leaning towards buying a 550 plus for my new pup coming the end of December. Already have the TT15 mini collar so all I would need is the handheld.

terrym

I run an Astro 320 and a Dogtra 2500 T&B. Set it to only beep on point. If I had to replace I would likely go the 550 route as the only function I use on the Astro is the tracking. 

BIRDDOG 307

I use my 550 plus and T15 mini collars almost everyday and it is paired with the  instinct watch. Love it.

Birddog 307

Talon1

For dog training, I think that the Alpha is not a great system. It is tougher to make split second adjustments to the intensity levels that are often needed during training.

If you need a unit for tracking and you have dogs that are trained and may require corrections in the field, and where you sort of have a working stimulation level for that dog, the Alpha is the way to go.I like the fact that I can set up the training buttons on the Alpha for my dog, and can adjust that as needed.

I also like the ability to use a map system (I use On-X) as I hunt a lot of public land in areas that are heavily checker boarded with private land. I really need to be able to point to where I am at pretty much all times. I also like to be able to mark my truck and ATV as I tend to cover some miles on some hunts, so it's nice to know where I parked if I am out after dark or I miscount the ridges that I walked over.

If that is not a concern for you and you want the simplicity of knowing the direction and distance of your dog, the Pro 550 Plus is a great unit.

I currently have the Pro 550 for training (pretty much same layout as the Plus), and the Alpha for hunting. I want to upgrade to the Pro 550 Plus for training, hopefully this summer,  but I will still hunt with the Alpha.

I also use my Alpha as a stand alone GPS unit for deer hunting in the fall. If you have need of a GPS unit, you can use it for that as well.

sidelock

Is the Alpha capable of tracking a dog collar and your own track at the same time ?

Talon1
On 12/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, sidelock said:

Is the Alpha capable of tracking a dog collar and your own track at the same time ?

Yes.