Glad I got to hunt one more year

Mentioned that last year the owner put the farm up for sale in Va last spring, because he had moved his primary residence to Florida.  Well, he is asking for a pile of money and thankfully for me (not him) the farm is still on the market.  He told me about 3 weeks ago that we would get another season to deer hunt.  Well stands that were in a bad state of disrepair had to be fixed up and fixed up quickly.  Plywood walls on the various box blinds had been destroyed by squirrels need to be repaired and brush needed to be cut to open up shooting lanes.  In total I spend 4 days out there doing work along with him doing the repairs and running a chain saw.

Last Saturday rifle season came in and I had one spike and 4 point come by and held off.  Today was the second day of the rifle season and after seeing nothing but squirrels for 2 hours, I heard what sounded like to be a herd of elephants running through the dry leaves and looked up to see a doe running by me at Mach 1.  Nipping at her heels was a 4 point buck.  As they went blasting out of sight I heard another herd hit the woods and see a 6 point running the same trail as the first 2 also at Mach 1.  Never took it out of 4th gear at all.  As he went blasting by I heard the 3rd herd come from behind me.  Looked up and running at top speed was a 9 point with a spike buck as his wingman running the same path as the first 3.  This time I had the gun up and pointed and literally shouted at him as loud as I could and he slammed the brakes on.   Shot him looking right at me in the neck at 50 yards and down he went.

Another nice Va deer.  Guessing a 4.5 year old deer.   The biggest of the 4 bucks running that hot doe.

Perhaps my last deer there, but if so a good one to end it on.   He is at the processor now being turned into "Good Eats". 

PS.  Yes he is that big.  The owner said he was going to get the tractor with the bucket to take him to the skinning pole. 

Pics are large so I'll past a couple in a row.  

20191118_103718.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tut

• Virgil Kane

• Natty Bumpo

• Marc Ret

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mentioned that last year the owner put the farm up for sale in Va last spring, because he had moved his primary residence to Florida.  Well, he is asking for a pile of money and thankfully for me (not

Last one.  That's my little custom Mannlicher in .257 Roberts.  Best looking and best shooting gun I've ever owned.  Built for me by Dan Rossiter.

Posted Images

Last one.  That's my little custom Mannlicher in .257 Roberts.  Best looking and best shooting gun I've ever owned.  Built for me by Dan Rossiter.

20191118_092012.jpg

Nicely done, Tom. I'm not sure which is more attractive, the buck or the gun. Sort of fitting that you took him with the .257 that Dan built. Congrats.

WI Outdoor Nut

Very nice story, with a great buck to end it!  It seems all good things come to and end, but you are ending on a bang (pun intended)!  Very nice deer,

Soooooo, I guess you won't be needing that rifle anymore then? Wow, great buck and beautiful gun. 

Fire Marshal Bill

Wow, that farm is rich with game. Smart thinking to stop him by yelling, it works every time. Nice shot...gun too!!