Glad I got to hunt one more year

4 hours ago, tut said:

IMO its priced high.  He dropped the price recently by 150K, but that's a drop in the bucket as the new price is 1.6 M.  Lots of land, but I'm thinking most of it won't perk and a lot of it is nothing but rock.  It is perfect for what it is.  Nice big modern farmhouse, with outbuildings and barn and 255 acres of really good hunting land.   I'm hoping now I can sneak another turkey season out of it.   

PS.  The owner told me last week, that he was told that the average time for a farm of this size to be on the market is roughly 3 years.  He's in no rush to sell from what I've seen.  No one has looked at the property in 3 months, but now that he dropped the price a tad someone new may discover it. 

I remember your post from last year about this property. You were thinking about moving there someday? And there wasn't enough tillable land/timber/or oil/gas wells to make a living off of it? 

The problem with most country places like that is there are so very few buyers in that category. And establishing "fair market value" is very hard bc/ of so few, if any, close comparable properties.  Appraisers usually don't have a clue either. We sold a 120 acre 95% wooded property in the West Coast region of Mi. a couple of years ago. We had owned it for almost 20 years.

It had everything for wildlife: food, cover and water. We spent  many hundreds of hours improving everything for wildlife, all kinds. Extensive timber management, several food plots, swtchgrass plots, improved roads and trails, thousands of conifers and wildlife trees/ shrubs planted, several robust blinds built, etc etc. It was next to a dairy farm with crop fields adjacent. And other active farms around too.

We had no problem selling that property bc/ of a special circumstance. The neighbor had an 80 directly adjacent. And there was a gun club with 500 members on the South line; they owned only 40 acres and had just bot a 20 on the other side of his 80. My neighbor had been after me to split off 20 acres, like forever. And he was scared to death the Gun Club would buy my 120 and ruin his life forever; literally. So after a short back and forth, we struck a deal. He got a greatly improved 120 acre hunting / recreational property which then gave him  200 acres in one piece. And we got a  good price and hunting rights for direct family members for certain dates for five years.. (first three days of rifle season , turkeys, birds etc) This agreement is Addendum #1 on the warranty deed.

It was a Win-Win deal and we remain good friends to this day. And winter venison was secured this year again. B|

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tut

• Virgil Kane

• Natty Bumpo

• Marc Ret

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mentioned that last year the owner put the farm up for sale in Va last spring, because he had moved his primary residence to Florida.  Well, he is asking for a pile of money and thankfully for me (not

Last one.  That's my little custom Mannlicher in .257 Roberts.  Best looking and best shooting gun I've ever owned.  Built for me by Dan Rossiter.

Posted Images

Compliments on a fine buck and fine rifle.  Most of all, kudos for having the savvy and presence of mind to make the stop and deliver a quick and clean killing shot.  Some folks just start whanging away in that sort of situation, very often with grim result. Good job.

6 hours ago, Natty Bumpo said:

I remember your post from last year about this property. You were thinking about moving there someday? And there wasn't enough tillable land/timber/or oil/gas wells to make a living off of it? 

The problem with most country places like that is there are so very few buyers in that category. And establishing "fair market value" is very hard bc/ of so few, if any, close comparable properties.  Appraisers usually don't have a clue either. We sold a 120 acre 95% wooded property in the West Coast region of Mi. a couple of years ago. We had owned it for almost 20 years.

It had everything for wildlife: food, cover and water. We spent  many hundreds of hours improving everything for wildlife, all kinds. Extensive timber management, several food plots, swtchgrass plots, improved roads and trails, thousands of conifers and wildlife trees/ shrubs planted, several robust blinds built, etc etc. It was next to a dairy farm with crop fields adjacent. And other active farms around too.

We had no problem selling that property bc/ of a special circumstance. The neighbor had an 80 directly adjacent. And there was a gun club with 500 members on the South line; they owned only 40 acres and had just bot a 20 on the other side of his 80. My neighbor had been after me to split off 20 acres, like forever. And he was scared to death the Gun Club would buy my 120 and ruin his life forever; literally. So after a short back and forth, we struck a deal. He got a greatly improved 120 acre hunting / recreational property which then gave him  200 acres in one piece. And we got a  good price and hunting rights for direct family members for certain dates for five years.. (first three days of rifle season , turkeys, birds etc) This agreement is Addendum #1 on the warranty deed.

It was a Win-Win deal and we remain good friends to this day. And winter venison was secured this year again. B|

You may be thinking about me moving into my mothers place, which is 22 acres about 4 miles from Harrisonburg Va.   Could hunt deer off the back porch, but unfortunately no turkeys to speak of.  It would allow the possibility of putting in a few nice food plots for deer that could double as dog training platforms.  That is still a possibility for sure.  My mom has decided she wants to put in another winter there and perhaps sell next spring.  Still trying to work out whether we want to move south 100 miles and have to readjust our lives in a big way. 

1 hour ago, tut said:

You may be thinking about me moving into my mothers place, which is 22 acres about 4 miles from Harrisonburg Va.   Could hunt deer off the back porch, but unfortunately no turkeys to speak of.  It would allow the possibility of putting in a few nice food plots for deer that could double as dog training platforms.  That is still a possibility for sure.  My mom has decided she wants to put in another winter there and perhaps sell next spring.  Still trying to work out whether we want to move south 100 miles and have to readjust our lives in a big way. 

OK, thanks for that clarification then. You will have a few decisions about future moves to come in the future . Best of  Luck with all of that when it comes time. And also hope you get another season or two on that wonderful farm with all the deer. :D

After shooting a doe late last week, I've been doing other stuff and trying to find a few Woodcock for Sophie.  Back at it again yesterday and the high winds just about blew me off the stands at the farm.  Today much better.  About 9 am this morning a bunch of nice doe came by.   Had the lead one lined up at 40 yards out the blind window and "Click".  I'd forgotten to load the gun.  Chambered a round and it was too late as they were hauling butt as fast as deer can haul butt.   Sat there for a bit and called myself names etc.  About 30 minutes later this fellow comes out of the woods and running the trail the group of does went down with his nose on the ground.   Just getting ready to get out of the field and I did the yell again and he stopped and looked up and the Mannlicher sent him to the great cornfield in the sky.  Not as big as last weeks buck, but still a decent rack.   PS.  The little .257 Roberts seems to just be magic for Va whitetails.  PS.  I did not pose him for the pic.  All four feet buckled when the round hit him and he dropped like a stone.  

20191125_090220.jpg

Gosh, I love that rifle, and it's got irons on it to besides the scope.  Love irons on a rifle.

Virgil

9 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Gosh, I love that rifle, and it's got irons on it to besides the scope.  Love irons on a rifle.

Virgil

Agreed. The rifles in my safe are split pretty much 50/50 with irons and without. The ones without just look incomplete to my eye. 

13 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Virgil

With the Talley detachable rings, should the scope be crushed in a fall, I can lever it right off and use the iron sights.  PS.  Mannlichers without iron sights are like cars without tires.