Fun: caliber input needed

May have a chance at combining mule deer and antelope rifle with archery elk for 2020.  This will, of course, require much thought as it is a backpack hunt for the mule deer.  I am only carrying one gun, if I even decide to do that.  Already carrying a bow, so....

If you had to choose one caliber to take mule deer and antelope, what would it be?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clueless1

• sharptail grouse

• lee sykes

• Samuel Hoggson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be li

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things t

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem.    *There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

Posted Images

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem. 

*There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

I've settled on if I do this it's going to be my T/C Encore, and with that I can get a barrel in the $300 range.  The guns in the safe are too heavy.  Wide open on calibers. 

I would probably drag out the .243  It's a nice flat shooting round and is plenty for deer sized critters and smaller.

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

May have a chance at combining mule deer and antelope rifle with archery elk for 2020.  This will, of course, require much thought as it is a backpack hunt for the mule deer.  I am only carrying one gun, if I even decide to do that.  Already carrying a bow, so....

If you had to choose one caliber to take mule deer and antelope, what would it be?

How far are you comfortable shooting?

58 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem. 

*There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

I ran across a pushfeed,  70 Lightweight in .280 at the local gun counter Hardware store about 20 years ago.  Wish I had bought it.  

4 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I ran across a pushfeed,  70 Lightweight in .280 at the local gun counter Hardware store about 20 years ago.  Wish I had bought it.  

I can point you in the right direction of this one, Lee? It's a new manufacture CRF Model 70. I only mentioned it because it would be perfect for Clueless' needs if he wasn't just looking for an Encore barrel and he also frequents the site where it is. I love my .280, just about perfect for anything North America. 

P.S. Same site there's a Rem M700 Classic .350 Rem Mag for the same money. That one's tempting me. 

1 hour ago, Marc Ret said:

I can point you in the right direction of this one, Lee? It's a new manufacture CRF Model 70. I only mentioned it because it would be perfect for Clueless' needs if he wasn't just looking for an Encore barrel and he also frequents the site where it is. I love my .280, just about perfect for anything North America. 

P.S. Same site there's a Rem M700 Classic .350 Rem Mag for the same money. That one's tempting me. 

Thanks Marc.  I am all set with rifles, I think, :)  I do have a crf fwt. and love t.

270 is my go to. 25-06 or 280 would also work. 30-06 is not bad either. Other interesting calibers but the classics work in this case and there is something to be said for easy access to ammo.

I recall once reading that the .280 is what the .270 should have been.   Gunwriter talk but in the real world, it doesn't lose much to the 7 mm rem mag.