Fun: caliber input needed

17 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

How far are you comfortable shooting?

Well, 200 yds with current set ups.  I have access to an 800 yard range that I will use often over the summer.  It's been many years since I was a die hard ground hog hunter and could shoot chucks at 300 yards consistently with my deer rifles loaded with hollow points. I'd like to be comfortable at 500 by the time I leave.  A scope is on the list as well. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clueless1

• sharptail grouse

• lee sykes

• Samuel Hoggson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be li

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things t

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem.    *There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

Posted Images

Why no love for the .308?  Inherently accurate.  Probably more reloading and basaltic data available than any other round.  Usually in stock at WalMart.   Kill anything and Sierra makes a 165grain GameKing bullet that is close enough to the the 168gr MatchKing and even available in some factory ammo.  I just checked and new Encore barrels can be had for under $260  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845616531

22 hours ago, Ozark said:

or if you want to be trendy - 6.5 Creedmoor.

Trendy would be a 6mm Creedmoor, which I would pair with Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter 103gr.  The barrel's $20 over budget though

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003787739?pid=322094

I have a .308 and 7mm-08 already.  Like both, but if I'm getting a barrel I want to do something I haven't had.  The 6.5 Creedmore is interesting but it's waaay too trendy right now, can't really do something with 'Creedmore' in the name right now 😁

.270 is where I might end up but I have had one of those as well.  Have heard good things about the .280 Remington and always wanted to get around to messing with it but never did.  It's a strong contender.     

(The budget isn't $300 it was just what I figured on a 'roundabout'.)

You want something that will do different than what you have now?  Pick up a Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby.  If you have to stick with an Encore barrel then a 25-06 AI is very close to the 257 Roy.

Virgil

sharptail grouse
7 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Well, 200 yds with current set ups.  I have access to an 800 yard range that I will use often over the summer.  It's been many years since I was a die hard ground hog hunter and could shoot chucks at 300 yards consistently with my deer rifles loaded with hollow points. I'd like to be comfortable at 500 by the time I leave.  A scope is on the list as well. 

I'd roll with a light rifle with low recoil. 243 seems good. Also a 7mm-8 or a 7x57 (my favorite - I have shot many deer and quite a few antelope with mine but I try to keep it under 200 + yards) or a 6.5 Swede. I'd just remember if you go with a light gun keep the recoil down.I personally have a single shot Ruger, but I really like the Model 70 Winchester Featherweight.  Remember that those last two calibers can be loaded up to make a dandy elk rifle in case that opportunity presents itself in the future. Good luck to you!

sharptail grouse
Just now, sharptail grouse said:

I'd roll with a light rifle with low recoil. 243 seems good. Also a 7mm-8 or a 7x57 (my favorite - I have shot many deer and quite a few antelope with mine but I try to keep it under 200 + yards) or a 6.5 Swede. I'd just remember if you go with a light gun keep the recoil down.I personally have a single shot Ruger, but I really like the Model 70 Winchester Featherweight.  Remember that those last two calibers can be loaded up to make a dandy elk rifle in case that opportunity presents itself in the future. Good luck to you!

500 yards is a loonnggg way. More fun to close the distance! You are a bow hunter remember!

sharptail grouse
24 minutes ago, Spin said:

A .270 worked fine for Jack O'Connor

So did a 7x57......he nearly always had one around.

3 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

I have a .308 and 7mm-08 already.  Like both, but if I'm getting a barrel I want to do something I haven't had.  The 6.5 Creedmore is interesting but it's waaay too trendy right now, can't really do something with 'Creedmore' in the name right now 😁

.270 is where I might end up but I have had one of those as well.  Have heard good things about the .280 Remington and always wanted to get around to messing with it but never did.  It's a strong contender.     

(The budget isn't $300 it was just what I figured on a 'roundabout'.)

Imho you should be good to go with what you’ve got.  I’d probably find a good 120- 140 gr.  load with A bullet with higher ballistic coefficient  for the 7mm-08 and go hunting.

Given the available barrels and since it's a single shot so action lenght doesn't matter and you already have 7mm-08 then I'd go with the 280.

Birdcountry70

Lots of good answers on this thread from knowledgeable people but they are all wrong except for the ones that said 25-06.😉 Seriously though, in my very biased opinion ( I love mine) it is the perfect pronghorn and mule deer caliber.