Fun: caliber input needed

Heartily agree with BC70. I have a custom 25-06 by Darrell Holland.  Worked excellent on speed goats and mule deer plus 'yotes and rock chucks too, on some of those trips. Near perfect all round Western cartridge.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clueless1

• sharptail grouse

• lee sykes

• Samuel Hoggson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be li

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things t

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem.    *There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

Posted Images

Samuel Hoggson
15 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Like both, but if I'm getting a barrel I want to do something I haven't had.  The 6.5 Creedmore is interesting but it's waaay too trendy right now, can't really do something with 'Creedmore' in the name right now 😁.

Kinda like the Swede idea, to really piss off the Creedmoor sycophants.  Especially when you stuff alot of RL-22 or 7828 in it. 

.260 Remington is another way to draw snarky comments from them. 

.25-06 is the elephant in the room, tho.  Need to be different........240 Weatherby in a Mk5 UL.   

We have a WBY UL in .243 Win.  Don't like it for use here, but in open country would be fine.  That little rifle is a tack-driver, about 5.75# without scope.

.270, .280, 7-08 would be downright sensible.  So I wouldn't go that way....maybe bring a .375. 

If I had a 308 and 7mm 08 barrel and wanted to add another I'd probably opt for a 358 barrel and keep it all in the family....I'd take the 308 on the hunt...

17 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Skip the Creedmore and just hunker down with a Swede:)

1909 6.5x55 Swede is the gun I use most of the time.  It's been sporterized since I was 14 and read an article about it.  The problem is at the time I didn't have enough money to get some of the barrel turned and blued so there's still a bit of metal on it.  Heavy for what I'm looking at.  I have thought about just getting a 6.5x55 barrel for the Encore but then I'd load them up beyond what I'm comfortable with the 1909 gun (because I would) and I don't want to have to worry about which box of bullets I'm grabbing.  I would grab the wrong one.

15 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

500 yards is a loonnggg way. More fun to close the distance! You are a bow hunter remember!

It is a long way.  Much farther than anything I've done to this point in life.  It's another adventure is what it is and this part is fun.  I may go through a few barrels on the T/C, just because. 

14 hours ago, Auto-5 said:

Imho you should be good to go with what you’ve got.  I’d probably find a good 120- 140 gr.  load with A bullet with higher ballistic coefficient  for the 7mm-08 and go hunting.

Yes I am.  But where's the fun in sticking with what ya got??  😁 

The thing is the rifles I have now are heavier than what I want to carry back in, we go in 5-8 miles.  Walking.  Every ounce makes a difference.  Teh T/C Encore is lighter than anything I have, plus the three of us can share it and one carry the barrel/scope and one carry the stock.  The only two barrels I have for it now are a .50 inline and a .204 for groundhogs, so this is wide open.  And I've got all summer.

10 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Lots of good answers on this thread from knowledgeable people but they are all wrong except for the ones that said 25-06.😉 Seriously though, in my very biased opinion ( I love mine) it is the perfect pronghorn and mule deer caliber. 

11 hours ago, Wirehair said:

Given the available barrels and since it's a single shot so action lenght doesn't matter and you already have 7mm-08 then I'd go with the 280.

These are two I'm strongly considering, along with the .270  and 7x57.  I also have always wanted to mess with the WSM's and WSSM's but not sure I want to get into those with this gun. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Kinda like the Swede idea, to really piss off the Creedmoor sycophants.  Especially when you stuff alot of RL-22 or 7828 in it. 

.260 Remington is another way to draw snarky comments from them. 

.25-06 is the elephant in the room, tho.  Need to be different........240 Weatherby in a Mk5 UL.   

We have a WBY UL in .243 Win.  Don't like it for use here, but in open country would be fine.  That little rifle is a tack-driver, about 5.75# without scope.

.270, .280, 7-08 would be downright sensible.  So I wouldn't go that way....maybe bring a .375. 

I like the way you think🤣

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

These are two I'm strongly considering, along with the .270  and 7x57.  I also have always wanted to mess with the WSM's and WSSM's but not sure I want to get into those with this gun. 

I shot a Ruger M77 Ultralight (or whatever they call it) in .270 and found the recoil an impediment to accurate shooting. But thats just me. Great caliber in a standard rifle though.

If you go with a 7x57 and handload PM me and I can give you a suggestion on a load with a .120 grain Barnes. Very little recoil. Deadly out to 200 yards - It has tipped over 6 elk in as many shots as well as the deer antelope mentioned above. Much beyond that and you lose too much impact velocity for the copper bullet to open properly - its just a hole like shooting an animal with field point instead of a broadhead.

7 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

😁   Yeah, Makes sense to me.

Samuel Hoggson
21 minutes ago, Spin said:

😁   Yeah, Makes sense to me.

20197pt.thumb.JPG.dcb153de096853be12a20db134e62708.JPG

Kinda liking the .375.  Him, not so much. 

I guess I misinterpreted what guns you have and what barrels as well...you seem to have a large supply of calibers but in different delivery tools...for the encore? get a 338 federal barrel...done.....it's fun right?

just shot my second buck with a .270 tika.  The 130 barnes was devastating to both. Drops 11 @300 . If I had to shoot longer I would use my 7 mag or 300WSM. If I was going to add more to the safe I might play around with something between .280 and .284 non magnums.

I've never shot anything larger than a 30-06 on this T/C.  I have shot a 209x50 caliber inline barrel on it.  Not sure I'd like the recoil of something larger than a 30-06 so anything above that might be out. 

Looks like a gun show in December in my area.  There is also the possibility that I emerge with a barrel in hand, something that I was not expecting.  Depends on what is there. 

Was under the impression that if I zero at 250 with a .270 I should be fairly good out to 500.  I haven't shot a .270 in years and when I did 300 was the limit.  Anyone with real life experience confirm?

Samuel Hoggson
34 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Was under the impression that if I zero at 250 with a .270 I should be fairly good out to 500.

Not unless you're shooting at barns.  Ran some calcs using my favorite online ballistics program (link).  Have fun and mess around with it.  Change the parameters as you like:  sight height, BC, zero distance, wind speed, increments, eieio.  

.270 with sorta typical 130 gr load