• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clueless1

• sharptail grouse

• lee sykes

• Samuel Hoggson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be li

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things t

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem.    *There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

Posted Images

sharptail grouse
5 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Not unless you're shooting at barns.  Ran some calcs using my favorite online ballistics program (link).  Have fun and mess around with it.  Change the parameters as you like:  sight height, BC, zero distance, wind speed, increments, eieio.  

.270 with sorta typical 130 gr load

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things to go south in a big hurry. Its a damn good way to shoot a deer in the ass or blow its lower jaw off. You can get closer. If you can't - oh well. People are always hail marying their way into these disasterous shots. I have put my tag on the aftermath more than once. Sight in for 200 and make your upper limit 300. Then practice, practice practice. You wouldn't take a 100 shot with your bow would you? Please say you wouldn't.........

22 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things to go south in a big hurry. Its a damn good way to shoot a deer in the ass or blow its lower jaw off. You can get closer. If you can't - oh well. People are always hail marying their way into these disasterous shots. I have put my tag on the aftermath more than once. Sight in for 200 and make your upper limit 300. Then practice, practice practice. You wouldn't take a 100 shot with your bow would you? Please say you wouldn't.........

No, and it would have to be the exact perfect scenario to attempt that shot.  IF (a big if here) I even get to a point where I'm comfortable on paper at those type distances.  Along with the access to teh 800 yard range I also have access to a person very familiar with long distance shooting.  I will be spending time with him this summer.  Not sure I'll ever get there but it's a fun exercise here. 😉 

(Max distance in PA with a bow is in the 35 yd range, it stretches when I go west every other year.  One because a I practice a LOT more and 2 an elk is much bigger killzone,than a whitetail.  60 yards on a perfect scenario is it there.  I've passed 50 yard shots on elk though too.)  

Samuel Hoggson
9 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots.

You won't get an argument from me.  I bought a RPR .308 when our club built the 400m range.  Strictly as an education/skill development tool.  First lesson was how little perceived wind it takes to result in a hit on a steel target........uh.........one I wasn't aiming at.  The math is, well, not subjective.  Another useful exercise involves .22rf at 200 yds and up.  You can indeed run out of adjustment with a 30mm tube - even with a 25 MOA rail underneath.

Don't like those Pursuit channel long range shows.  Not saying it can't be done.  But they need to be taken with a grain of salt.  The vast majority of viewers will never develop the skill set to do so.  Let alone purchase all the necessary equipment.

sharptail grouse
2 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

You won't get an argument from me.  I bought a RPR .308 when our club built the 400m range.  Strictly as an education/skill development tool.  First lesson was how little perceived wind it takes to result in a hit on a steel target........uh.........one I wasn't aiming at.  The math is, well, not subjective.  Another useful exercise involves .22rf at 200 yds and up.  You can indeed run out of adjustment with a 30mm tube - even with a 25 MOA rail underneath.

Don't like those Pursuit channel long range shows.  Not saying it can't be done.  But they need to be taken with a grain of salt.  The vast majority of viewers will never develop the skill set to do so.  Let alone purchase all the necessary equipment.

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be limited to gongs or paper.

200 yards has always seemed a reasonable deer maximum, starting off with a 6mm Remington that writers seemed to equate to a .243 and that being good for 250 yards and maybe a few more, but I got chances much closer to 100 yards and it was fine.  Longer range efforts began with cowboy metallic silhouettes at 200m and that was basically coming up with effective rounds and adjusting peep sights.  When deciding to try the high power event out to 500 meters I doped out drops and showed up with the rest of the silhouette shooters who told me to expect to do poorly and that's exactly what we all did/do.  A couple of the guys are pretty into it but everybody's there for fun and the hunters among them don't set up their rifles for 400+ that I know of, although they'd have a better than average appreciation for the requirements.

That stuff is all offhand shooting, the chickens are at 200m and roughly represent the lung area of a deer, and my best day I shot 6 out of 10.  Enough to know taking an offhand shot beyond 100 yards is beyond my current capability and I'd better be sitting or using a rest in the field for anything beyond that and preferably for any shot at all.

WI Outdoor Nut
4 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

I've never shot anything larger than a 30-06 on this T/C.  I have shot a 209x50 caliber inline barrel on it.  Not sure I'd like the recoil of something larger than a 30-06 so anything above that might be out. 

Looks like a gun show in December in my area.  There is also the possibility that I emerge with a barrel in hand, something that I was not expecting.  Depends on what is there. 

Was under the impression that if I zero at 250 with a .270 I should be fairly good out to 500.  I haven't shot a .270 in years and when I did 300 was the limit.  Anyone with real life experience confirm?

I don't shoot hand loads, but off the shelf ammo.  95% of my shots are under 100 yards, but I not have a few spots that 500 yards shots would be possible (I know I am not there yet as a shooter, so I limit myself to 300 yards (confirmed with range finder)).  As I was prepping for our rifle season that starts tomorrow, I was comparing my .270 to the 7mm-08 I have lined up for my son.  Attached are the ballistics.  The .270 is the box on the left, 7mm-08 is on the right.  The 150 grain .270 is far from flat.  I know the 130 grain is better, but still not flat by any stretch. 

bal.jpg

slowly working my way out of handloading as well.  I just don't shoot enough to justify the time anymore.  Even if I put time in this summer for this experience I will go back to a box or two a year after that.   

Has anyone ever tries the 6.5-284 for long range shooting. I had a friend that had one he used on baited coyotes on the ice. For that mater a 284 is no slouch either in the right gun.

Samuel Hoggson
15 hours ago, Jacquidog said:

Has anyone ever tries the 6.5-284 for long range shooting. I had a friend that had one he used on baited coyotes on the ice. For that mater a 284 is no slouch either in the right gun.

I see your 6.5-284, and raise you one 6.5 WBY RPM 

Does "different" in spades.

Parent .284 is just too sensible.

3 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

I see your 6.5-284, and raise you one 6.5 WBY RPM 

Does "different" in spades.

Parent .284 is just too sensible.

Well, hell's bells and buckets of blood! If you're gonna go big, might as well go for one of the baddest and get a .26 Nosler or a fire-breathing 6.5-.300Wby. 

All on board for those if it wasn't this light gun.  Counting ounces and recoil just dont go hand in hand☹️

On 11/19/2019 at 12:15 PM, Marc Ret said:

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem. 

*There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

If that rifle is still available, would you PM me the info?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2019 at 7:28 PM, Clueless1 said:

All on board for those if it wasn't this light gun.  Counting ounces and recoil just dont go hand in hand☹️

Clueless, a new 25-06 blued Encore barrel popped up on HPA. No idea if the price is right or not but it's under your budget.