Fun: caliber input needed

No need to over think this. I just got back from Colorado and saw quite a number of Mulies  and pronghorn. The antelope were not in season but I shot a mulie at a whopping 120 yds standing broadside with my funky old savage  30-06 using superx ammo bought at Walmart.The group I was with collected 3 deer and the longest shot was just under 200 yds. The antelope were a bit more spooky but not impossible. I’d strap on the 7mm-08 bbl and not look back.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clueless1

• sharptail grouse

• lee sykes

• Samuel Hoggson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they don't show all the fxxck ups. This whole long range craze is the worst thing that has happened  to hunting in a long time. If someone wants to show off their long range skills it should be li

I'd stay away from those kinds of shots. You may pull it off on paper (where it belongs), but at that distance with a .270 an errant gust of wind down range that you don't even feel can cause things t

I'd be carrying my Model 700 Mtn Rifle in .280Rem.    *There's an unfired .280 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for $675 over on that other site that would fit the bill quite nicely, VF. 

Posted Images

On 11/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, Clueless1 said:

All on board for those if it wasn't this light gun.  Counting ounces and recoil just dont go hand in hand☹️

Yep It's pretty hard to argue with math. Particularly when you've  had your right shoulder relocated

an inch and a half to the rear.

If you want something fun, how about a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle.  The .223 with 60-70+ grain bullet would work.  Wear it on your back while bow hunting for the situation where 100 or 200 yards is close as you can get...SelbyLowndes

4 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

If you want something fun, how about a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle.  The .223 with 60-70+ grain bullet would work.  Wear it on your back while bow hunting for the situation where 100 or 200 yards is close as you can get...SelbyLowndes

Then it wouldn't exactly be bow hunting then would it?  or are you joking?  

14 hours ago, lee sykes said:

Then it wouldn't exactly be bow hunting then would it?  or are you joking?  

Maybe a little.  I wouldn't take a mini-14 off on a serious hunt, but they sure are fun guns.  Of course it would no longer be bow hunting after the hunter put down the bow, would it...SelbyLowndes

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:54 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

Maybe a little.  I wouldn't take a mini-14 off on a serious hunt, but they sure are fun guns.  Of course it would no longer be bow hunting after the hunter put down the bow, would it...SelbyLowndes

...and .223 isn't legal for big game here in Colorado...

Jakeismydog2

I would probably take my 25-06.... unless I was really hiking a bunch. Then I would grab my crazy light little 6.5 grendel I just got.

Mike Elliott

I have just purchased a Kimber Montanna in 300WSM. going to chop the barrel to 20 - 22 inches and fit suppressor (not regulated here in NZ can just buy off the shelf)

Will be my general purpose hunting rifle 0-600 yards with out deafening either me or the dog and still packing heaps of ompf

On 12/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

Not true in Maine.  Prima face evidence is the game warden's friend here.

For. a combo antelope and mule deer hunt I would take my .257 Roberts, my 7 X 57, or my 7mm Remington Magnum, depending on the country, distances anticipated, and how big the mule deer are. Of course, a .280, .270 or 30-‘06 would be a good choice to.

• 5 weeks later...
Fishnfowler

Good golly. I'd probably take my .308, but would wrestle with the 7mm-08, .243, 7mm mag also.  Truth is, I wouldn't take one gun.  I'd take two .308. 

8 hours ago, Fishnfowler said:

Good golly. I'd probably take my .308, but would wrestle with the 7mm-08, .243, 7mm mag also.  Truth is, I wouldn't take one gun.  I'd take two .308. 

I have three .308s.  Boring to some I guess but it does what I need a rifle do with one set of dies. Who reads the head stamps on their brass anyway?

And I don't have to read the same old endless stories about how joe soandso killed a thousand sleeping elephants with it.