REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

Jeep Liberty ?

topdog1961

I know I’ve ragged on Jeeps recently based upon my experiences with a 2000 Cherokee ( lots of little nagging issues) but I’m actually thinking about another. A Liberty meets many of my needs. My BIL tows a drag car all over with one, so they will tow my 18ft aluminum boat, and my 5x8 equipment trailer. They will get me to work when the snow flies, and one in decent shape is not a lot of ching.  And it’s small size makes maneuvering my equipment trailer in customers tight drives much easier than my F150. 

I can replace a lot of window motors when an 07 of the original body style with lower mileage for that year KBBs for about $5,000. (maybe there’s a reason for that)

But I don’t want an unreliable vehicle in the powertrain dept. What say ye, those with experience with them?  Is the newer body style, 08-12 I believe, better or worse than the original?

grouse28

I had a 2010 Liberty, had 175000 miles on it before it was demolished. Now have a 2012 Liberty with 135000 on it.

No issues with either with power train. No other issues except alternator, u-joint, just minor items. I like them because of their square shape and usable space. Never towed with either but have them loaded down with roof rack and hitch cargo rack.

Wish they still made that body style instead of the sleek look soccer mom SUVs. Yea, I know air flow and gas mileage, etc.

markbrit

We had a 2005 Liberty that was a grocery getter for my wife. Had it for 12 years. Was very dependable and always started to scoot around town. Water pump at 40k and a few electric window motors over time. At 90k the trans dropped. I had it serviced for fluid changes so found it a bit surprising, but most miles were stop and go. Did not like the fuel economy of the V6, it was a gas guzzler like a V8 would be. In hind sight we probably should have bought a RAV4. I really cannot complain but no one of my favorite rides.

MAArcher

You could try and find a Jeep Liberty CRD diesel.  I think they made them up to 06.  I've thought of getting one myself.

terrym

I had one (2010) which to me was the perfect hunting vehicle. Small enough and capable enough to get into anyplace I needed to go. The V6 towed my boat no problem. Large enough to haul lots of gear. What it did have was a propensity/structural defect that caused it to eat heater cores. Replacing one of those is major surgery and not cheap. On the 3rd failure I sold it. Other than that it was reliable and I loved that thing. 

topdog1961
43 minutes ago, terrym said:

I had one (2010) which to me was the perfect hunting vehicle. Small enough and capable enough to get into anyplace I needed to go. The V6 towed my boat no problem. Large enough to haul lots of gear. What it did have was a propensity/structural defect that caused it to eat heater cores. Replacing one of those is major surgery and not cheap. On the 3rd failure I sold it. Other than that it was reliable and I loved that thing. 

That’s the kind of thing I definitely want to avoid, and shouldn’t happen in modern vehicles. I don’t mind relatively inexpensive failures I can fix myself, like window motors, but that’s major. I had a similar issue on the 2000 Cherokee with the AC evaporator leaking, which required dash removal. 

A buddy of mine has had an early 2000’s model for years and hasn’t had other than minor issues, as has my BIL. So maybe that’s isolated to the newer style. 

terrym
4 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

That’s the kind of thing I definitely want to avoid, and shouldn’t happen in modern vehicles. I don’t mind relatively inexpensive failures I can fix myself, like window motors, but that’s major. I had a similar issue on the 2000 Cherokee with the AC evaporator leaking, which required dash removal. 

A buddy of mine has had an early 2000’s model for years and hasn’t had other than minor issues, as has my BIL. So maybe that’s isolated to the newer style. 

I actually know a couple guys who also still own that style and they have never replaced the core yet. So, clearly they don’t all fail but I would Google the question and read up on it. If it wasn’t for the core issue that Jeep would still be in my driveway. 

WPG Gizmo

Libertys are OK but I am looking for a Commander only made for a few years 2010 being the last but you can get them with a V8 or V6.  Bigger then a Liberty and more room 

terrym

Yes the commander was a great size for hunters. Not many were sold so will be tougher to find a good one. 

Greg Hartman

It's a mixed bag, but bottom line: I wouldn't recommend buying one.  I owned an '04 Liberty for many years and used it as a toad (towed vehicle behind the motorhome), shooting brake, bad weather vehicle (we live up an a mountain) and general utility vehicle.

Here are the good points:  Price was right.  Handling is sporty - kinda fun to drive.  It has (just) enough room for two hunters, their dogs and stuff.  It never actually broke down and let me sit in all those years. It towed like a roller skate and was very easy to set-up for towing - a matter of seconds - same for getting back on the road after towing.  The A/C was good.  If you get an old one, you won't care about getting it dinged up in the field and that is very freeing.  It has a very short turning radius - important to have when off-roading in nasty stuff.  Mostly, it is just amazing where you could take the little thing and still get back alive.

9-29-10 - Willie make it.jpg

Negative points:  The seats are too short - it's like perching your butt on a window sill and I'm just an average sized guy.  It's loud, bouncy and uncomfortable.  The V6 engine is a real gas hog - I get better mileage from a V8 - plus, it seems underpowered - when you tromp on the gas, all you get is more noise.  The tailgate opens to the side, making it hard to get into the back if someone is parked close behind you and not giving you a platform to deburr dogs, etc.   It is small and no substitute for a real truck when you are trying to haul stuff like firewood.  The wheelbase is short and that creates issues when towing.  Overall build quality is poor - little things were always breaking - for example, the heat was either off or on at full blast - nothing in between - there were water leaks, etc., etc. There were also major issues with the suspension, rust, etc.  In the last year I owned it, I put over $5,000 into it to keep it on the road before selling it for $3,500.

I no longer drive a Jeep Liberty.  'Nuff said.

topdog1961

Thanks Greg. Trying to keep in the $5-$7k price range for a decent 4x4 vehicle with reasonable miles, I may also look at V6 Hyundai Santa Fe’s and Kia Sorentos. The 3.5 Hyundai is within a few HP and torque as the 3.7 Jeep, and both are near my current 98 F150 4.6 V8, and in a much smaller, lighter vehicle. I think they all would tow my boat or small enclosed equipment trailer as well or better than the truck. 

Dogwood

You're gettin' soft Greg. You always used to refer to it as your "POS Jeep".

grouse28

Jeeps get no love.

Marc Ret
14 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Jeeps get no love.

Just needs to be the "right" Jeep. My buddy seems to be loving his newest one...

image.jpeg

grouse28

Jeeps do not make good patterning boards. Ford Rangers are much better.😇