REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
CoryO322

RED Light on Garmin TT 15 mini

CoryO322

I have the Garmin TT 15 mini collar, just charged it and when I unplugged the unit the light is on and will not shut down.  Can not find what to do to shut it down to have the red light go off.  When I push the on/off button nothing is happing.  Any suggestions   

bobman

Hold the button for about 10 seconds see if the color changes

Cooter Brown

UJ member dogrunner had the same issue.  I forget what the resolution was.

The reset on a regular TT15 is to press and release the on/off button four times in succession, fairly quickly.  Worth a try.

bobman

When you figure out a what fixes it please post it 

dogrunner

After about 10 days the light went off, I hit the button and it was working again.  I have been running it ever since with no issues. I hunted in a lot of wet weather and the only thing I can think of is that it got extremely wet and had to dry out. Sounds crazy but it works good now and has been in rain since.   I did call Garmin but lets just say the lady I got on the phone didn't speak hardly any English and was no help even though I asked for another person I did not get one. 

Cooter Brown
18 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

After about 10 days the light went off, I hit the button and it was working again.  I have been running it ever since with no issues. I hunted in a lot of wet weather and the only thing I can think of is that it got extremely wet and had to dry out. Sounds crazy but it works good now and has been in rain since.   I did call Garmin but lets just say the lady I got on the phone didn't speak hardly any English and was no help even though I asked for another person I did not get one. 

I went and found your thread about this--that's just bizarre.  It's so different from any experience I've had with Garmin customer service I wonder if you misdialed the number!

Except for one person everybody I've talked to there has been super helpful, and none had any accent other that what I'd expect from somebody in Kansas, and none of them have tried to sell me anything least of all virus protection.  Weird!

dogrunner
3 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I went and found your thread about this--that's just bizarre.  It's so different from any experience I've had with Garmin customer service I wonder if you misdialed the number!

Except for one person everybody I've talked to there has been super helpful, and none had any accent other that what I'd expect from somebody in Kansas, and none of them have tried to sell me anything least of all virus protection.  Weird!

No misdial they called me back and I don’t speak Spanish. I even asked for a different representative and she seemed pissed and hung up. I did buy another new collar and haven’t even used it yet because the other one fired back up. 

MilRob

They just replaced a TT15 mini for me out of warranty for free.    Collar would show it was charging but never turn green and it would not turn on.   

bill
On 11/23/2019 at 7:59 AM, dogrunner said:

Be better off call folks at Collar Clinic Michigan helpful folks and they sell garmin stuff plus refurbish other brands also.

CoryO322

Well I tried all of the suggestions and not one of them  worked.  I emailed Garmin and they will exchange my collar for a new one for $89 since its out of warranty time.  

dogrunner

Give it a few more days and see if the red light goes out and then mess with the on/off switch and try it on the charger a few times. 

CoryO322

I did that and all it did when I changed it again it go’s red. 

dogrunner

Well then maybe the $90 is worth it. Heck I bought a new one and haven’t even fired it up yet because I got mine working again. 

hmm363

You may have to update the collar, seems when they need to be updated they do crazy stuff. My last conversation with Garmin, they recommended update to both receiver and collar every three months. 

A couple examples. 4 years ago in Wisconsin, the needle on my Alpha that indicates the direction of the dog would flip around 180 degrees from where I knew my dog was (I also run a bell, can't seem to break that habit). Garmin's fix,  update. 3 years ago in the UP the needle to show direction of the dog froze. no matter where the dog was the needle would not move, the distance to the dog would change but not the needle. Garmin's fix, update. Glad I was running a bell. 2 years ago here in Ohio, same problem as 3 years ago, same fix. Last year in PA. the Alpha just froze up. Direction needle would not change and the distance would not change. Shut the unit and collar down and restarted, it would be okay for awhile then it would freeze up again. Garmin's fix, update.

Okay, just one more. This year I purchased a Garmin 550 Pro Plus, it is just so much easier to train with and it has a GPS and I really like it, just easy to use. The only thing it lacks is the ability to mark the truck if you need to find it and on occasion I do need to find it. So, I'm in the UP, morning of the last day. Turn on the 550 and it says I need to pair the collar, follow the directions in the manual and the collar will not pair to the receiver after several tries. But the system seems to be working okay, shows direction and distance to dog. So, off we go. Works great for the first three covers, in the fourth cover the receiver freezes up, distance and direction will not move and I'm not feeling real good towards Garmin. But, seeing how the 550 lacks the feature of marking the truck I started using the Alpha to mark the truck in case I should need to find it and on occasion I do. The 550 collar can be paired to the Alpha receiver which I had done so the day was not lost.

Almost finished. Got back home and the next day I fired up the 550 in preparation to give Garmin a call. The direction arrow pointed in the direction of Michigan and the distance indicated the collar was 730 miles away. What the...……………….! Called Garmin, their fix was update the system. I told them the 550 was only 5 months old, their response, update the system receiver and collar every 3 months. All the issues I've had with Garmin systems have been cured with an update.

The moral to this story is two fold, for Garmin users, update your system before you good out of state on a hunt  and second no matter what manufacturer you use for your GPS system, it sure is handy to have a back system with you.

So, it took awhile to get here, but if your still having problems with the light staying red, try up dating your system. Garmin will walk you through the process, you just need the UBS cable that came with the system and know where to plug it into your computer.

airmedic1

I had the same problem with my T5 Mini and it is less than two years old and the problem started after the update.