REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
CoryO322

RED Light on Garmin TT 15 mini

Craig Doherty

I would not trust a collar that gave me that much trouble and willingly pay the $89 for a replacement.  I had two -- a T-5 and a TT-15 quit within a day of each other in early November.  Tried everything I know about resetting and charging then called Garmin -- got a really helpful person as I always have with them -- and quickly had a return authorization and the two new collars were on the way shortly.

These are sophisticated electronic devices that we strap onto a dog and then they get pounded in the woods -- stuff is going to break and I don't go out without a back-up Alpha, a spare Alpha battery, and a few TT-15s.  Redundancy of systems seems important when you have come to depend on it.

Cooter Brown
40 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

These are sophisticated electronic devices that we strap onto a dog and then they get pounded in the woods -- stuff is going to break and I don't go out without a back-up Alpha, a spare Alpha battery, and a few TT-15s.  Redundancy of systems seems important when you have come to depend on it.

Good points.  I can't think of an electronic consumer product that takes more abuse than a GPS dog collar.  I've got spare collars and I strap one to my vest when I hunt.  I'd love to have a spare Alpha, especially since mine started failing in the UP  this year.  Before I went north there was one for sale on the forum here for $350--If I'd been enough ahead I'd have bought it and saved some headaches while a thousand miles from home.

As an FYI, if you do have a collar or handheld go south on an out of town hunt, Garmin will send the replacement without having the bad unit in hand.  They charge double the cost of the replacement--$110 in the case of the Alpha--but refund it when you do send in the old unit.

dogrunner

Even though they take a lot of abuse almost sounds like they have an issue with these particular model. 

airmedic1
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Even though they take a lot of abuse almost sounds like they have an issue with these particular model. 

I would agree with this!  I bought my first Astro 220 with the DC40 collars in 2008 or 2009 and I never had any trouble other than having to replace the antennas.  I bought the Astro 430, four T5 minis and two T5 collars for my dogs two years ago and have not had the greatest of luck, having this last battery failure and one that keeps disconnecting while in the field.

rolawson

I will stay with my DC40's as long as I can. I have never had any issues other than antennas and batteries. 

GLS
6 hours ago, rolawson said:

I will stay with my DC40's as long as I can. I have never had any issues other than antennas and batteries. 

Yep, The DC50 I have will intermittently lose tracking ability, but only for seconds at a time.  The DC40s I have keep on keeping on.  I  bought another DC40 rebuilt and it works fine.  My original needed a battery, but that was after 4-5 years of use.  The  15 works okay.

Felix

I have a 2+ year old 320 Astro and T5 mini collar.  About a week ago the collar just stopped putting out a signal.  I know the hand unit was working because I have an older collar that was still showing up and working. The new collar kept saying it was 22 miles away, which is the last place I hunted and the last place that it worked.

I called the customer service and the guy said that I could send it in and get a refurbished one for $70.00 (I think) but first I should try some things. 1) He said to try the general reset on the collar by pushing the power button 8 times.  This didn't work.  2) He asked if I had the latest update.  I had never updated.  So he directed me to the update website (www.garmin.com/express) which had fairly simple directions for updating.  You have to download a file or two but not too complicated.  Also he said make sure that you update all your devices (handheld and all collars) at the same time.  I updated them all and that did the trick. Everything is working as intended.

Dogmountain

Master Reset on the Mini is actuate the on/off button 8 times when connected to a power supply

4 for TT 15

If that does not work, try and connect to Garmin Express for update via PC

If that does not work contact Garmin at 800-800-1020

If you bought from FRGD we will pay all shipping on returns (contact us)

E7D1FCD8-7A15-4C68-9E8D-5F36899D3E2C.jpeg

Cooter Brown
53 minutes ago, Dogmountain said:

Master Reset on the Mini is actuate the on/off button 8 times when connected to a power supply

4 for TT 15

Good info here!

dogrunner
22 hours ago, Dogmountain said:

4 for TT 15

Sounds good but the button did nothing and calling Garmin was a waste of time for me. 

Rockford Setters

Call  the Collar Clinic in Traverse City