REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

2011 Xterra

Tim Frazier

Found a clean one with 70,000 on it   Off road package to include electronic locker in the rear differential. 5 speed auto. 

Anything in in particular I should look for?  

Jacquidog

Some year Nissan products had a transmission cooler / radiator leaking problem.  Be prepared to install a transmission cooler if this year / model is affected.  

rolawson

After 2010 the trans cooler issue had been fixed. Nice vehicle. Gas mileage is not great but the 4.0 is a strong motor.

walt lister

I had three Xterras, 2002, 2010 (totaled in a wreck at 40K mi), and 2015. Didn't put more than 80K mi on any of them but no problems at all except that the gas tank vapor recover filter would clog with dust here in AZ and have to be replaced/cleaned about every 30K mi. Would have bought another but they stopped making them so bought a Jeep in 2018.  

Wet Dog

I bought a 2011 for my boys to use in HS and college with 35K miles.  At just under 80K miles now I haven't to do anything but regular maintenance and added new tires.

Jacquidog

I have had 2 Nissan Frontier 4 wheel Pro 4 pickups and both were bulletproof.  No mechanical issues what so ever.  

john mcg

We have had a Maxima, Pathfinder, Xterra and a Frontier and my daughter an Xterra.

Same motor in all of them.

Rock solid.

apachecadillac

Rock solid.  I have a 2015 with 95k on it, and utterly no issues whatsover.  Gas mileage is so-so as is turning radius.  That's as close as I can come to criticism.  Sitting here today, I can see keeping the thing forever.  It's the ideal mid-size SUV--jack of all trades, master of none.

The transmission issue--the dreaded Strawberry Milkshake of Death (SMOD, one of the great all time acronyms)--was a problem from 2004-2009, or something like that, and affected that drivetrain across the Nissan line.  But it was history by 2011.  And, without stirring up a hornet's nest, some say that the problem didn't develop if you followed the scheduled maintenance with respect to changing out the drive train fluids.