REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×

Garmin Fenix observations

I bought a Fenix 5 early this summer. The intention was to wear it while running dogs, and continue wearing my Sekio auto daily. 

It's all I wear. Was talking to the wife about that yesterday.

I'm not athletic, I'm not techy... I honestly didn't expect to like it as a watch all that much. 

WPG Gizmo

One thing about the Fenix is that with the number of watch faces available to download you can make it what ever you want. 

Same with dog tracking and other apps 

GLS

I use the analog face which also shows the moon phases and location of the sun and moon in relation to each other at all times of the day.  Gil

50 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

One thing about the Fenix is that with the number of watch faces available to download you can make it what ever you want. 

Same with dog tracking and other apps 

Still can't make it a light and sleek automatic.

But the pros outweigh the cons! 

OutlawTorn

I have the "Data Lover" face downloaded on mine.  It displays the following:

• Sunrise/sunset times
  • Day/Date
  • Weather/temp/windspeed
  • Digital time
  • Battery life
  • Steps, step goal progress, heart rate

I'm not a fitness nut either, but it's been helpful to track my activity (Garmin Connect app for your phone also has good data on sleep, stress, heart rate, steps, etc.) and I like all the information right on the face. 

Hub

I have mine set up like Outlaw Torn.  I love all the crazy info it gives me (steps,sunup and sundown etc.).  I never wore a watch in my life and I bought this to track dogs only, an then ended up wearing it every day.  One note on the sunup/sundown.....it's based off the last location that you turned the mapping function on.  That want be a significant amount off depending on how far from home your are.

61bhs

The watch is not for the technically challenged!  I bought it just so I would not have to look at my Alpha 100 while moving to a dog on point!  Today a dog was on point and when I looked at the watch it had switch to a different face !  Needless to say as I tried to get the watch back to dog on point face the pheasant departed without a trigger being pulled!  It took me another five minutes of fumbling to get the watch back to the dog face!  I am close to putting on the for sale page!

OH Grouser
12 hours ago, 61bhs said:

The watch is not for the technically challenged!  I bought it just so I would not have to look at my Alpha 100 while moving to a dog on point!  Today a dog was on point and when I looked at the watch it had switch to a different face !  Needless to say as I tried to get the watch back to dog on point face the pheasant departed without a trigger being pulled!  It took me another five minutes of fumbling to get the watch back to the dog face!  I am close to putting on the for sale page!

One thing I started doing with mine is using the 'lock keys' setting in the controls menu. That prevents inadvertent bumps or key presses from changing the screen, and locks it on the dog tracker...that's pretty much the only screen I'm worried about when hunting anyway. Easy enough to unlock with one button push if you want to look at a different screen.

Something else I'be been playing around with...I have never really liked wearing a watch, and found between shirt and jacket sleeves and gloves I always seemed to be covering the watch with clothing. I decided to try hanging the watch off my strap vest, and after a few para cord versions I've rigged up this strap with snaps. I know that defeats conventional thinking on two hands on the gun and being able to see direction to the dog, but it's worked out pretty well so far and is still much better than digging out the Astro hand held unit.

Roger

1162390596_20191212_2123521.thumb.jpg.0bd2be114e4004f3e13a6fb95d93bd88.jpg

Cooter Brown
13 hours ago, 61bhs said:

The Instinct has a button lock.  I don't know if the Fenix does but I'd be surprised if it didn't.  On the Instinct the button at around 10 o'clock brings up a list of functions and the button lock is one of those.

It's pretty convenient and it's very quick to unlock the button if you need to.  Makes a lot of sense to use especially if you have only one dog and don't need to switch back and forth much.

The manual that comes with these things is minimal.  But the Garmin site has comprehensive manuals you can download in PDF.

airmedic1

I purchased a Fenix 5X Sapphire on Black Friday and was worried that I would have trouble figuring it out. So far, there is nothing that I don’t like about it.  I used it yesterday to keep track of the dogs while pheasant hunting and it worked well.  It recorded over 25,000 steps trudging through CRP fields and so far the battery life has been great. I charged it a week ago today and it still has 63% battery life.  I don’t have it synced with my phone or have the GPS turned on but I don’t need that on my watch since I carry an Astro and have to carry a phone.

aje4

I just downloaded the Data Lover face....It says to “select RUN activities” to sync?  Can’t figure that out?

airmedic1

You can sync between your phone and watch from this screen on your phone. Just tap the little blue circle on the top right. 

5AA87BB5-4EE3-42BA-983B-B6F14706549A.jpeg

aje4

Ive done that and it still isn’t populating one area?  Not sure.....

Drew_Lesch
2 hours ago, aje4 said:

Ive done that and it still isn’t populating one area?  Not sure.....

Not sure if by one area you mean heart rate or if none of the data is coming through garmin connect... But make sure that you have the phone and watch connected via Bluetooth. And not all models have heart rate monitoring. 

Drew_Lesch

I’ve got the fenix 5x sapphire and bought it specifically to use the “tracker plus” software to pair with the 550+ for an alpha “light” solution. I like everything about the combo so far other than the dog data isn’t saved anywhere (or not that I can find). I never could find where the alpha allowed you to export dog work data. If I could confirm that I can export the data I’ll probably pick up an alpha hand held too to be able to log dog work. 

I tried a bunch of watch faces and ended up sticking with “TSWF03”. I picked up a free app “connect stats” which syncs with my “tracker plus” data but provides some breakdown of speed, HR, route, etc at any given point. Works great for picking up dog points so I can go back later and flag within on-x for bird locations.

There isn’t anything I don’t like about the watch, but updating the firmware wasn’t easy, and the sleep monitoring is only OK. There are great deals on the fenix 5 series (not the 5 plus) and honestly I don’t see that there have been additional features to the plus nor 6 that would warrant an upgrade. I hadn’t worn a watch in years and am comfortable wearing the fenix everyday now. 

With all that said, I do still have a dogtra t&b attached to the garmin collar. He can run totally silent and we’re in contact with a glance at the watch and when he’s on point I can locate him without having to rely on the GPS. The garmin and dogtra point indicators seem to run based on separate logic, dogtra on head movement and garmin on body movement. For a legit point the garmin’s response is after three beeps from the dogtra!