Tilting at Windmills--Part III

"Tilting at windmills"

Verb:

(intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies.

(intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.

It's go time for the Worst Deer Hunter in Massachusetts. 

The Massachusetts shotgun season for deer opens at about 06:27 tomorrow morning and if its not blizzard like conditions, I'll head out behind my house and see about filling by buck tag--for the first time in 23 years.  It's not as bad as that though; in those years I've passed on spikes and small deer, I don't get Doe tags and I've even missed a couple.  Like all hunting, its really about being out there and enjoying yourself.  Still, it would be nice....

The last couple years "close but no cigar" moments sure were funny though.

There has been a bunch of activity in my area as you can see in the trailcam pics as well as deer in my yard each night.  All my gear is ready and the shotgun sighted in.  Now if there could just be a lull in the storm for a few hours in the morning.....

Trail cam pics from where I'll be set up.

lots of scrapes around

IMG_0766-X2.jpg

IMG_0770-X2.jpg

Does are around

WGI_0003-X2.jpg

A young Spike or fork

WGI_0004-X2.jpg

the one who has been making the scrapes?

WGI_0005-X2.jpg

I have 30 days- not counting Sundays -to get it done.  12 days with the shotgun first.  I'll keep you all posted.

IMG_0805-X2.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• sharptail grouse

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK!!  I am NO LONGER the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts!       Well.......  actually---- I guess I am just a good guide.   As mentioned above, my young nephew has a n

I sat in my spot for a couple hours yesterday afternoon.  Nothing was moving, but there were lots of tracks around.  I have a few more days to go.   On my way back into the house, I picked u

"Tilting at windmills" Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.  

Posted Images

Good luck Billy! The worst deer hunter in NJ will be out with the smoke pole, either locally or up in the Federal lands by us depending on road conditions. In the zone by my house I have until Feb 15 to kill a deer. Still haven’t been able to in 3 yrs now.

sharptail grouse
30 minutes ago, atticus said:

"Tilting at windmills"

Verb:

(intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies.

(intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.

It's go time for the Worst Deer Hunter in Massachusetts. 

The Massachusetts shotgun season for deer opens at about 06:27 tomorrow morning and if its not blizzard like conditions, I'll head out behind my house and see about filling by buck tag--for the first time in 23 years.  It's not as bad as that though; in those years I've passed on spikes and small deer, I don't get Doe tags and I've even missed a couple.  Like all hunting, its really about being out there and enjoying yourself.  Still, it would be nice....

The last couple years "close but no cigar" moments sure were funny though.

There has been a bunch of activity in my area as you can see in the trailcam pics as well as deer in my yard each night.  All my gear is ready and the shotgun sighted in.  Now if there could just be a lull in the storm for a few hours in the morning.....

Trail cam pics from where I'll be set up.

lots of scrapes around

IMG_0766-X2.jpg

IMG_0770-X2.jpg

Does are around

WGI_0003-X2.jpg

A young Spike or fork

WGI_0004-X2.jpg

the one who has been making the scrapes?

WGI_0005-X2.jpg

I have 30 days- not counting Sundays -to get it done.  12 days with the shotgun first.  I'll keep you all posted.

IMG_0805-X2.jpg

Looks to me like all you need to do is go sit down and keep still. The deer are there. Keep us posted.....!

These yearly Topics are great. I almost hope you don't get a deer so they continue!

Truth is chit happens when you least expect it. Most deer and bucks Ive shot seemed to appear out of nowhere. For example....You just got to put in the time. I had all but given up on a rifle deer this season. The season ended Saturday and Muzzleloader season starts today for two weeks in my area. I had checked my Muzzleloader gear and bought some new .209 primers and was gonna go online and buy my ML license.  Then on Saturday afternoon, just as I was gonna call it a season and start down off my ladder stand, I saw a small group of does through the trees crossing in front of me and headed towards me (I had drawn a Doe Permit). I never would have seen them but for the snow on the ground. I lost sight of them for over 5 minutes as they minced through a section if woods. Not a big buck coming in but my heart was beating a tune. It was getting very dusky but still legal. The biggest one gave me an opportunity and is hanging in my garage and will be skinned today and processed over the next few days. Back to hunting (ruffed grouse) and bone with the bow, weather permitting til the 14th...never give in, never give up. 

Well I just looked at the clock after reading this and it's 6:25  opening day . Good luck !

There is about 8" of snow on the ground and I'll need to do the driveway for my wife before I head out, probably around 8.  The snow is letting up for the day so maybe they will be moving around.  I can still hunting some too.

14 minutes ago, atticus said:

There is about 8" of snow on the ground and I'll need to do the driveway for my wife before I head out, probably around 8.  The snow is letting up for the day so maybe they will be moving around.  I can still hunting some too.

There's the first problem. A "real deal" deer hunter would have been in a stand before first light while the wife cleared the driveway...

(joshing you...sometimes I think Jo only keeps me around for snow removal so she can get to work!)

Sorry to say Billy, the snow isn't done for the day.  Another round coming later......get out there in between.

14" here in NH so far......

I will admit when Billy bags his buck, I can take over the annual Tilting at Windmills series.........I'm so unmotivated for deer most years.  I find it boring as hell after 90mins.... Especially after 2 months of constant action of following dogs through the woods.......

Add to that, at our VT cabin we have a deer super highway through our property that is 98% doe.  And I swear these are either the ugly chicks or all lesbian doe (not that there is anything wrong with that) as there is NEVER a buck following these chicks......ever.  In 10 years we have seen 2 bucks to hundreds of doe sightings.  Finally this year we saw small 4 pointer.......he strikes me as the guy in high school who is "friends" with every girl but never progresses things further with any of them.......

OK off to blow snow....

4 minutes ago, River19 said:

............I'm so unmotivated for deer most years.  I find it boring as hell after 90mins.... Especially after 2 months of constant action of following dogs through the woods.......

image.jpeg

Not sure if you have shot a deer, but that can change a bit when it comes together and you get to walk up on a buck on the ground. 

IMG_1101.JPG

And after putting on rub and wrapping a venison roast in thick bacon and smoking with hickory and cherry wood, letting it cool and slicing for sandwiches with some horseradish mayo...

I’m in my spot now and cut several fresh tracks on the way in. Per usual if I had been out earlier....

I’ll sit for an hour or two with intermittent grunts and bleats then still hunt around. A few other folks in the woods too per a report from Sharon so maybe they will move them around. 

There is about 10” on the ground here. Very glad I picked up gaiters and new pants this year. 

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

image.jpeg

Not sure if you have shot a deer, but that can change a bit when it comes together and you get to walk up on a buck on the ground. 

IMG_1101.JPG

And after putting on rub and wrapping a venison roast in thick bacon and smoking with hickory and cherry wood, letting it cool and slicing for sandwiches with some horseradish mayo...

I have, but only a couple over my lifetime......it's "fine" just hasn't tripped a trigger with me yet.

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, atticus said:

I’m in my spot now and cut several fresh tracks on the way in. Per usual if I had been out earlier....

I’ll sit for an hour or two with intermittent grunts and bleats then still hunt around. A few other folks in the woods too per a report from Sharon so maybe they will move them around. 

There is about 10” on the ground here. Very glad I picked up gaiters and new pants this year. 

Put your phone away and sit still! ;) Sit! Sit! Sit!