Tilting at Windmills--Part III

OK, it was an awesome morning for the "not quite the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts"!

I made it out to my spot just before 9 and cleared a spot to sit.  my view

IMG_0810-XL.jpg

IMG_0811-XL.jpg

After an hour or so I caught some movement to my left--a spike....no 2 spikes and a third following....... a button buck.  Jeez--3 bucks!

I decided not to shoot right away--I'm looking for bigger and don't really need to fill the freezer so I enjoyed watching them.  One walked to within 10 yds, they stayed together and didn't seem concerned. All offered me many easy shots. 

I could have ended my slump--but decided not to, so its not really a slump anymore. 

IMG_0813-XL.jpg

IMG_0814-XL.jpg

Maybe I do know what I'm doing!  A nice warm lunch then back out looking for something with a beam and brow tines.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• sharptail grouse

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK!!  I am NO LONGER the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts!       Well.......  actually---- I guess I am just a good guide.   As mentioned above, my young nephew has a n

I sat in my spot for a couple hours yesterday afternoon.  Nothing was moving, but there were lots of tracks around.  I have a few more days to go.   On my way back into the house, I picked u

"Tilting at windmills" Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.  

Posted Images

Oh yeah, forgot. World traveling trophy hunter....😉

That's does sound like a great morning sit.

Good luck Billy last evening while plowing I had a monster 8 point walk across the road in front of the truck. I stopped to let him pass on his journey fur covered in snow looking for love.

Another terrific sit this afternoon.  I had two of the spikes walk past again going the other way.  I only saw one other hunter all day and only a few shots.  I think I can get out in the morning again before heading to a meeting.

5 bucks in one day---I think the gods of deer hunting have decided I have suffered enough!

Now, if Mr big could walk bye...

The only way you will kill a big one is to let those little ones walk. 

Great photos I hope you get a booner!

Slump over, as long as you pointed your finger at them and said 'bang'. Hope you get a chance at an antlered buck. But as a wise person once said, "Don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last..." Cool pictures either way

I was able to get out for a few hours today, but nothing was moving. There is now 20 odd inches of snow on the ground so 

perhaps that kept them bedded. I only saw one set of tracks and that was from last night. I'll head back out Saturday. 

Samuel Hoggson

Thought they were heavy on apples, but evidently still plenty of acorns.  They're pawing through about 18" of white to get them, but the ground is still reasonably soft and no crust layers.

4 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Thought they were heavy on apples, but evidently still plenty of acorns.  They're pawing through about 18" of white to get them, but the ground is still reasonably soft and no crust layers.

They never hit the apples hard in my area of Maine. Strangely so actually.

I found tracks in the 10" of fresh snow coming out of the Marsh and crossing my back yard. Lots of stagger, big buck likely. Could have shot him from my deck. Not that I would ever, ever do that....dot, dot, dot.

Samuel Hoggson
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Could have shot him from my deck. Not that I would ever, ever do that....dot, dot, dot.

Shot a couple meat does with BRI slugs from my bedroom window in Sharon, CT.  Place was overrun with deer.  Bucks would battle right on the front lawn.  Up here, shot several with a .22-250 from Dad's attic in Guilford.  Everybody kids me about doing that from the barn in D-F but, in point of fact, son and I never have.  But if we were pressed.........

Last night they went right past the orchard just to hit the bird feeders.  OTOH, oaks are tracked/dug up like a barnyard.  Pics from today. 

acorndiving12.4_19.thumb.jpg.1d11fd8572cd3c738aa6f4dc128f0d37.jpg

acornpoop12.4_19.thumb.jpg.f043136ae224d146637f55ad05bdfbd6.jpg

Keep us posted Billy. We are living vicariously through your quest. 

BTW even an average 8 pt whitetail,would make a nice european mount for your trophy room....

IMG_0183.JPG

Sorry for the delay and you bet that would look great in the Fortress of Solitude! 

I went out yesterday accompanied by my nephew--who has expressed an increasing interest in the outdoors.  He was supposed to come out Monday but had to work.  We spent 6+ hours in the woods and saw the usual--nothing.  The snow is still over knee deep and only a couple new tracks were visible.  We stopped in at the local checking station during out break at a nearby diner and saw a couple spikes and a doe come in.  He enjoyed being out there and will be back next Saturday--if not sooner-- I gave him the keys to the house and he knows where to sit. 

I checked my 2 cameras and found there was movement right before the storm and including a different buck-- a 5 point.

WGI_0001-XL.jpg

STC_0008-XL.jpg

It is supposed to rain and be in the 50s for a couple days this week so that should melt some of the snow.  My nephew also made my day as we were putting gear away.  He was looking at my bookcase and asked about a good book for learning about grouse hunting. I took him to the Berkshires for a day last month which I thought he had enjoyed.  Apparently he really did!  I sent him home with a copy of Frank Woolner's "Grouse and Grouse Hunting" as a start. 

A questions for you deer hunting enthusiasts:

Since the bucks were still chasing prior to the storm which left 2 feet in the woods, does the rutting activity get pushed off or does it shut off?  More specifically, will the chasing resume or will things just go into winter mode and possibly a second rut after some melting?

sharptail grouse
24 minutes ago, atticus said:

A questions for you deer hunting enthusiasts:

Since the bucks were still chasing prior to the storm which left 2 feet in the woods, does the rutting activity get pushed off or does it shut off?  More specifically, will the chasing resume or will things just go into winter mode and possibly a second rut after some melting?

I think it  depends. If you are in the middle of the rut the chasing may slow down but it will absolutely resume - one of my favorite times to hunt the rut is the sub zero calm clear weather following a big storm. But if you are at the tail end of the rut I can see where it might signal the end that was coming any day anyway. Where I live this generally means that by the end of November major rutting is over - most of the does have been bred and those that haven't may cycle again for a second few days of activity in early December. I have never seem very much activity during the second rut, but I'm generally not out sitting on my ass where I would most likely see it.

The rut is triggered by the amount of daylight and the angle of the sun in the bucks eye so elevation  variation will affect it in the same locale GEORGIA has several rut peaks over the state from the mountains to the coast because of elevation differences 

deer movement is usually greater right after a weather system comes thru so if you get a rainy windy spell make sure you are on stand right when the rough weather stops. The does that have been not moving and feeding a lot during the storms will be out moving and feeding and the bucks will be dragged behind them in their lust