• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• sharptail grouse

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK!!  I am NO LONGER the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts!       Well.......  actually---- I guess I am just a good guide.   As mentioned above, my young nephew has a n

I sat in my spot for a couple hours yesterday afternoon.  Nothing was moving, but there were lots of tracks around.  I have a few more days to go.   On my way back into the house, I picked u

"Tilting at windmills" Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.  

Posted Images

I thought I felt the earth shake last Saturday in the late afternoon. It must have been the time of impact. Well done by you, your nephew and Sharon!

Wow nice deer.

In regards to deer movement, I read a study that showed nothing impacts deer movement as materially as wind.  Lots of hunters don't hunt in the wind but the study showed the deer moved the same amount as less windy days, its just that where they go changes.   I've found that to be true.  Now I don't mind windy days, I just look for sheltered areas and target them and have had some success.

Birdcountry70

I've felt that windy days have provided some real advantage at times. Where I live, any outdoor hobby that can't be done on a windy day probably won't be done very often.

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

Wow nice deer.

In regards to deer movement, I read a study that showed nothing impacts deer movement as materially as wind.  Lots of hunters don't hunt in the wind but the study showed the deer moved the same amount as less windy days, its just that where they go changes.   I've found that to be true.  Now I don't mind windy days, I just look for sheltered areas and target them and have had some success.

I agree as far as it goes, but once it gets much above sustained 40 mph  or so I think animals hunker in cover so thick its hard to access them. But if you have flexibility and a good forecast the times immediately before and after a blow are prime times to be out among 'em. 

Wind is great cover for still hunting in woods,  the leaves and branches blowing around cover both your movements and sounds 

windy days especially if it’s drizzling are the best days to still hunt slowly upwind.

Dont sit go look for them

1 hour ago, bobman said:

Wind is great cover for still hunting in woods,  the leaves and branches blowing around cover both your movements and sounds 

windy days especially if it’s drizzling are the best days to still hunt slowly upwind.

Dont sit go look for them

But Bob, they are soooo far away from the truck when you get one!...SelbyLowndes

I got up to let the Setters out this at about 5 this morning.  The thermometer was at 7.  No thanks---I went back to bed.  I'll head out this afternoon.

Look for a southern exposure with lots of sun that is where the deer will be when it is cold.

Nice buck by the way for a 4 point 😁 

I went yesterday afternoon.  The loggers have finally wrapped up their operation and quiet has returned to the woods I hunt.  I hunt from a ground blind due to age.  Four does past in front of my stand yesterday afternoon.  Two got by me close without offering a shot but two more lingered offering a perfect shot to finally make meat for the season.  I didn't do it...SelbyLowndes

3 hours ago, atticus said:

I got up to let the Setters out this at about 5 this morning.  The thermometer was at 7.  No thanks---I went back to bed.  I'll head out this afternoon.

Was 4 degrees here, I did the same thing.....

I understand the cold...sorta...I bought insulated coveralls for coyote calling/hunting in mid to late winter. Can't remember brand.  I use it for late season bow and rifle deer hunting now. I can sit in single digit temps for 2-3 hours or more. It's my toes that send me home even with felt lined boots, toe warmer packs, wicking socks and wool socks. A good thick coverall is much like one of those Heater Body Suits that I'm too cheap to buy. 

I sat in my spot for a couple hours yesterday afternoon.  Nothing was moving, but there were lots of tracks around.  I have a few more days to go.

On my way back into the house, I picked up my two trail cameras.  We set them up on my nephew's buck's gut pile just to see what is out there.  I live in a semi rural area --houses around but lots of conservation land ---and see bears, coyotes, fox and fishers often but never seem to get them on camera.  I was very pleased with the result.

Fox

STC_0022-XL.jpg

STC_0023-XL.jpg

STC_0028-XL.jpg

Coyote

STC_0118-XL.jpg

STC_0134-XL.jpg

STC_0129-XL.jpg

STC_0130-XL.jpg

birds

STC_0094-XL.jpg

STC_0047-XL.jpg

STC_0087-XL.jpg

Even a blue jay

STC_0125-XL.jpg

I'll put the cameras back up for deer movement this afternoon.