Tilting at Windmills--Part III

Great pics from the trail cam Billy.  I need to get a couple set up here in NH, tracks are all over the place in the snow.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• sharptail grouse

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK!!  I am NO LONGER the worst deer hunter in Massachusetts!       Well.......  actually---- I guess I am just a good guide.   As mentioned above, my young nephew has a n

I sat in my spot for a couple hours yesterday afternoon.  Nothing was moving, but there were lots of tracks around.  I have a few more days to go.   On my way back into the house, I picked u

"Tilting at windmills" Verb: (intransitive) To attack imaginary enemies. (intransitive, by extension) To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.  

Posted Images

On 12/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, River19 said:

Great pics from the trail cam Billy.  I need to get a couple set up here in NH, tracks are all over the place in the snow.

They are fun to have.  It's amazing the amount of animals that are roaming around.

On 12/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, Brad Eden said:

I understand the cold...sorta...I bought insulated coveralls for coyote calling/hunting in mid to late winter. Can't remember brand.  I use it for late season bow and rifle deer hunting now. I can sit in single digit temps for 2-3 hours or more. It's my toes that send me home even with felt lined boots, toe warmer packs, wicking socks and wool socks. A good thick coverall is much like one of those Heater Body Suits that I'm too cheap to buy. 

I have the same problem.  A couple of years ago I got some battery powered insoles for my boots.  They hold a charge for about three hours on the high setting.  They are remote operated so I don't turn them on until my feet start to get cold.  Warms them up nicely.

Boot blankets.... ignore the sizes and get the largest ones they make so they  are easy to get on when you get situated in your stand

nothing else comes close,

their hand muff is fantastic as well

icebreaker brand

Well,  my season ended this afternoon in the same spot it started a month ago.  It was a damp and quiet sit with nothing moving and no tracks in the new fallen snow which was fine with me.  It was a terrific season, and although I didn’t get out as much as I had planned, I saw 6 bucks and a few doe in my woods.  The highlight of course was my nephew taking a terrific 8 point. 

My afternoon set up in the damp woods.  It got foggy right around sunset so I called it a season at 4:23pm. 

59951494329__4A00819E-E87D-4EF1-B5D1-884

59951507903__A69EF3C5-3482-41F8-9F47-044

MyT/C .56 at the ready 

IMG_0952-X3.jpg

Unloading on the way home—If I had seen a worthy buck, at least the gun would’ve gone off. 
IMG_0953-X3.jpg

Tomorrow I’ll clean and oil all the guns, sharpen the knives and put it all away until next season.  The weather looks mild this weekend so casting a few flies may be in order. 

Now for the tough time of year—the doldrums between hunting seasons close and maple season.  

17 hours ago, atticus said:

MyT/C .56 at the ready 

Nice to see one still being used. A nice handy rig.

Mine wasn't accurate so I put on a Green Mountain BBL on it to shoot slugs.

3 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Nice to see one still being used. A nice handy rig.

Mine wasn't accurate so I put on a Green Mountain BBL on it to shoot slugs.

The shots in my area are all under 50 yds and I am confident in it to there. My issue with it is now the ammo.  Its a smoothbore and throws a patched round ball had to buy some new ones for it and they have "lumps" where they were cut from the mold.  I'll have to test them next year and likely smooth them out or they will break like a major league curve.