Hey Michiganer’s

It's only a song, for chrissakes. Kind of a catchy little ditty, IMHO.

Sweet Home Alabama is a catchy little ditty.

Wherewolves of London is also a catchy little ditty.

"Only a song"...Umm, this thread alone means that it's more, for whatever reason. I mean, it's jarring folks' memories back to their exploits of yore, right? Folks are lauding this song right here, right now. Bad enough I have to hear this song every 2.5 minutes on the radio, but now, I have to read folks I respect, calling this "song" great.

Now, had he added thought provoking lyrics, or a thought that went beyond "things", I MIGHT agree that this song has legs.

He didn't, and it doesn't.

I am happy for those of you who caught walleyes from a dock. I just question whether he did, or not. No matter, the song sucks with or without the walleye line.

Thanks for the anger management link, I need it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Crawford

• Roost em 1st

• Rugerdog

• Popple Pusher

Matt Crawford

Bad news, gang.

I think Rugerdog's head just exploded. I just tried to call him (I had the video all ready to play when he answered) but he did not pick up.

Worse news: If you heed Lon's (god rest his soul) advice and go back to 1989 to find a song to hum, you might end up with these gems:

My Prerogative...Bobby Brown

Straight Up... Paula Abdul

Wind Beneath My Wings... Bette Midler

Girl You Know Its True...Milli Vanilli

Right Here Waiting...Richard Marx

Lost In Your Eyes...Debbie Gibson

Heaven...Warrant

Blame It On The Rain... Milli Vanilli

Listen To Your Heart... Roxette

I'll Be There For You... Bon Jovi

Eternal Flame...The Bangles

If I Could Turn Back Time...Cher

Surely, Kid Rock's song is better than those.

Popple Pusher
They do play this song quite a bit here. And now after watching that video a couple times (for the eye candy of course) I can't get it outa my head. Playing some of Matt's suggestions to help alleviate the pain.... And take me back...

Man,

Some people take their entertainment quite personally. I do know that on today’s radio I hear a lot of "Sampling". I am not really a Kid Rock fan but I get a kick out of the song. I think most of us look back at the time from School till real responsibility kicked in as a great time in our life. I feel bad for the guys who went straight to the service or had an early baby.

-Jeff

nobirdshere

I mean, it's jarring folks' memories back to their exploits of yore, right?

Well perhaps, but with the very obvious exception of REP.

I suppose this will still be in regular rotation in the Michigan bars in September. This might replace the obligatory and oft heard Brad Paisley selection "Elkahhaaaauuuul".

While 1989 was alright, I am unfamiliar (perhaps thankfully) with any of the etudes posted by Matt. I also never sang Sweet Home Alabama, but performed with a group that would break into Freebird whenever it was requested. This was typically a simple and brief segue into King Crimson's "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part II" or "Asbury Park".  

Lon, if you ever want to come to my May walleye camp, we will catch walleyes in boats, and later in the evening from the shore of the island as they move in to feed. I can assure you that you will not be subjected to any Kid Rock.

Edit: Sadly, I am familiar with the Midler and Milli Vanilli selections noted.

Matt Crawford

Top song of 1989 - Love Shack, B-52's?

Well, other than the incomparable "Wind Beneath my Wings," I'm gonna have to say "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" by Neil Young.

I have a "Wind beneath my wings" story, unfortunately.

(I am still alive, btw...I am speaking with Crawford, he said I should tell this story)

It was 1990, my team was good, my team was strong

We just won the state ti-tle again

He was Kenny Clark he was co-captain with me

It was time to skate our trophy around the rink

Waving to our parents

Kisses for our girlfriends

Thinking what it took to get us there

A song came on the PA

You all know what they'll play

We are the Champions will fill the air!

We were saying different things

And we were laughing about things

Skating round the rink to that perfect song

Squirting water from our bottles

A screaming coach did follow

Thinking We are the Champions, sounds kinda weird

Why doesn't this song rock?

Kenny, what's this, WTF?

This doesn't really sound like Queen to me...

Wind beneath my wings?

The song Bette Midler sings?

Oh my God, what? How in the F can this be?

Now nothing was as strange as the song they played that day

To this day is doesn't make no sense

Now I hear that song, and a smile comes along

I replay that great day in my head again

Matt Crawford

You...won...a...state...championship...and...they...played....

"Wind Beneath my Wings?"

(Luckily, there are newspaper archives from that glorious day. Here's a photo)

blades1.JPG

Roost em 1st

1989 Music, hmmm, mainstream, hmmm....

Mostly I listened to casettes Lon, alot of bootlegs from the boys...But I thought about it and do remember listening to Petty that summer...

Mostly though it was casettes. Oh, and I remember Skid row

other stuff I listened to that summer...

Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home and Warren Zevon's Werewolves always sounded a lot alike to me, but LS tune was released earlier if I remember. No offense to Mister Zevon, rest his soul; I think he was one of the most imaginative artists out there and not just trying for the bucks.

I'm not usually the hater, or agree with the haters, but I think this Kid Rock song is underdone, overplayed and has too much of someone else's work in it. Some stuff is just so classic no other band should cover it, sample it, or reference it. Whatever, hope he spends the royalties trying to find a cure for the Hep C he got from Pam.

I like it........I agree with Crawford....it's just a song.

I highly doubt it will have any affect on the walleye fishing, people peeing in the crystal clear water, the amount of drinking and unprotected sex on boats and beaches and I am fairly certain Michigan will survive even though it was ....OMG......shot in TN.

L-dog will somehow also recover from his exploded head. (I wrote that just so Crawford could correct my good english skills) because lets face it his head being exploded really doesn't change much.......might even improve his shooting.

I just noticed the title. Is there such a thing as a Michiganer? Is it like a Mainer where you have to have had 5 generations all born there including yourself to be one? Do Michiganers like out of staters to come up and fish and hunt or do they only like the money? Just wondering.