REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

E collars. Am i asking for too much

blanked

I currently have the dogtra edge.  Have had tritronics and sport dog before.   Seem to have the same performance issues on all of them.  Collar and dog perform and react great in the close range like within 30 yards.  Dog starts pushing out like 100 yards have to crank up the intensity to get a reaction.   The further out the more intensity.  Out past  400  yards for get it.  All line of sight.  3 different dogs same issue.  I try tightening the collar to where i think its too tight just to see if it makes a difference.  No change. All one mile e collars.  

like i say within 30 yards works great.  Has to be an e collar tech flaw correct?   Anyone else have this

Jim Vander

Im pretty surprised to hear this. Ive corrected labs well out beyond 200 yards with Tritronics with no issues. Don't know what to make of it. 

WPG Gizmo

Never had that issue do you have the collar tight to the dogs neck??

john mcg

I don't have that problem either.

Have you tried the longer set of prongs?

Some dogs with long thick hair or big jowls might not get proper contact.

A collar has to be terribly tight to be too tight.

blanked

Isn’t it fair to say that the collar and dogs response at close range eliminates any fitting issues ?

but as noted I went tighter just to see what would change if anything

john mcg
4 minutes ago, blanked said:

Isn’t it fair to say that the collar and dogs response at close range eliminates any fitting issues ?

but as noted I went tighter just to see what would change if anything

Perhaps a loose antenna connection? Or a bad battery.

dogrunner

Here's my thoughts. I was having the same issues with my old Dogtra's even after Collar Clinic tuned them up. I could not tone or seem to give a correction out past about 300 feet.  So i took mine and dads controllers for a walk with him standing there at the truck.  Out to  400yds I could still tone both of them but on a dog it don't work like that, not sure what the difference is but that was what I found out. 

ryanr

Perhaps it is more of training issue than an equipment issue? Ie. The dog listens and responds to a correction much better at closer range but once it's out of sight it takes a little more persuasion?

Korthaar

I've never had an issue unless I forgot to turn them on or they were too loose when the dog had its nose to the ground. That is an odd issue with 3 separate popular brands. I had a 2 mile sportdog model that lasted 16 years until I broke the transmitter. 4 years into my second set without issue.

WI Outdoor Nut

Put it on your wrist, go out 200 yards, and have your wife zap you on low (high if she is upset with you).  Then you will know if it is the transmitter/collar.  From there you can trouble shoot. 

Sage Hen

I had issues with what seemed to be inconsistent results until switched to the longer prongs on my griff.  Now I don't have to over tighten the collar and things work the same at any range within reason.

pjourn

Just a guess, but it might be that the dogs know you're less likely to buzz them at long range. I have one in particular that gets braver and tougher as she gets farther out. 

OutlawTorn

I'd enlist a helper to see if the collars actually perform differently at long range vs. close range.  Try to simulate both the distance and obstacles in which you notice the problem as best you can.

I'd be willing to bet it's at least possible the dog gives less of a @#$% about your instructions when it's out of sight/hearing range - that's what I discovered when I had the same suspicions with my collars.  I was surprised at how yard drills fixed the electronics. 

Chukarman
On 1/8/2020 at 7:21 PM, pjourn said:

Just a guess, but it might be that the dogs know you're less likely to buzz them at long range. I have one in particular that gets braver and tougher as she gets farther out. 

I tend to agree that this may be the case. It's the dog, not the quipment.

I have used Dogtra e-collars for 30 years and they are reliable.

Coveyrise64

I have found trying to determine if the collar is stimulating by using my finger tips or the palm of the hand to be very unreliable. I purchased one of the test lights from Sportdog to use for trouble shooting. Easier to see the neon light even at a low stim level and the light will glow brighter as the intensity level is increased. Using the longer collar prongs will help also even on the shorter haired dogs.

Capture.JPG.29819e1d570bad1acb007605c454cfca.JPG

cr