2020 UJ Fly Swap

browndrake

As you read back through the UJ Fly Swaps, you see that they used to start earlier than we have the last few years. I like that.   I thought it would be nice to get it posted up here so that people can start thinking about it.

I don't know if jbeck's Fly Swap of 2011 was UJ's first, but it is the first that I can find record of.  Being that this appears to be the 10th UJ Fly Swap, I thought that it might be neat to honor the first by repeating its theme:

"- We will be tying trout flies with upland materials (using at least some material from a bird / rabbit you have shot while hunting) "

Every year, we have had a lot of fun tying flies and fishing each other's flies.  I am sure that this year will be no exception.  Being that this is the 10th year, let's get lots of people participating in this year's swap.

Rules (same as every year)

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps the annual auction) 

- Commitment deadline: lets say Valentine's weekend  (this is when people need to commit that they are in the swap).

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by March 15th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes! 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Participants:                      

browndrake                            

Big Pine                                  

Bird_Man_mike                      

john mcg

D. Case                                   

Nick                                        

Keith                                       

WMassGriff                           

shoot-straight                       

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• browndrake

• Keith

• Mike da Carpenter

• D. Case

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sent mine off today. Saw a video of a soft hackle streamer and liked it.   

I will re-up as well. I haven't decided what to tie, though. I need to come up with a nice juicy one. 🙂 Maybe a variant of this one....Hatches Emerger. Its a killing fly.

I'll tie a couple patterns,  my version of a 20 incher, which has both pheasant and Ruffed Grouse feathers and a bead head Woodcock and orange soft hackle which has really worked well for  me on both

Posted Images

Count me in. Reckon I’ll tie a ruffed grouse and peacock and if I have time maybe a Baker’s Hole soft hackle with hare’s fur and hun hackle. Been really obsessed with soft hackles the last few years.

Bird_Man_mike

I would like to participate.

I'll do a traditional Irish lough fly with some pheasant tail from one I have kilt and also some mallard from one defeated by the angry chicken.

I will re-up as well. I haven't decided what to tie, though.

I need to come up with a nice juicy one.

🙂

Maybe a variant of this one....Hatches Emerger. Its a killing fly.2-36.png.25b45b98952b5c76395c2eb07b55f31e.png

I'll tie a couple patterns,  my version of a 20 incher, which has both pheasant and Ruffed Grouse feathers and a bead head Woodcock and orange soft hackle which has really worked well for  me on both trout and blue gills.

20 incher.jpg

Woodcock and Orange.jpg

Count me in! I've got pheasant from South Dakota, Grouse, woodcock, turkey, whitetail, and snowshoe hare from Michigan. Sounds like fun!

Mike da Carpenter

Glad to see this being done again this year.  Although I do not tie flies, my son Nick (posted above) has been doing a wonderful job at it and will represent us well.  I’m once again looking forward to all the wonderful patterns you guys come up with to tie.

2 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

I would jump in, but I am terrible at small flies.  I will enjoy watching the action though.

You are welcome to watch, but if you want in, just jump on in. We are all at different skill levels.

1 hour ago, browndrake said:

You are welcome to watch, but if you want in, just jump on in. We are all at different skill levels.

Imagine a cotton ball glued to a hook, then attacked with an electric toothbrush with wire bristles.  That's about average.

I do tie a heck of a mop fly...