REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
fourtrax57

Another Garmin Instinct Question

fourtrax57

New Instinct watch arrived. After reading quick start guide & taking a run through the downloaded manual

a couple questions to me are unanswered. (lack of fundamental computer savvy on my part perhaps...)

* A. Why pair it up with a smart phone?? I don't care a whit for all the gadgetry built in.

* B How the heck do you pair it up with the Garmin Alpha for point alarms? That is why it was purchased

and all I want it for. I didn't see anything at all about using it with an Alpha.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Kieffer

Try this Adding Dog Tracking Widget

I chose not to pair it with my phone.  I get too much email and don't want email alerts popping up on my watch.

fourtrax57

Kieffer,

I agree. Must be marketing folks that had that added to the book.

Thanks for the help.

It's listing both collars. Will have to field test.

grouse28

Curt
On 12/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, fourtrax57 said:

New Instinct watch arrived. After reading quick start guide & taking a run through the downloaded manual

a couple questions to me are unanswered. (lack of fundamental computer savvy on my part perhaps...)

* A. Why pair it up with a smart phone?? I don't care a whit for all the gadgetry built in.

* B How the heck do you pair it up with the Garmin Alpha for point alarms? That is why it was purchased

and all I want it for. I didn't see anything at all about using it with an Alpha.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

I have exactly the same questions regarding my new Instinct watch.  I don't even carry a smart phone so have no intention of pairing it with one.  My only interest in the thing is to track dogs and maybe tell time.  Have no intention of wearing it on a daily basis like a watch.

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, Curt said:

I have exactly the same questions regarding my new Instinct watch.  I don't even carry a smart phone so have no intention of pairing it with one.  My only interest in the thing is to track dogs and maybe tell time.  Have no intention of wearing it on a daily basis like a watch.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, fourtrax57 said:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

I have an Instinct and the only thing I use it for is tracking dogs in conjunction with an Alpha.  The only "widgets" I've activated are dog tracking and the compass.  Not even really sure why I have the compass activated--I've got a pin on when I hunt.

The dog widget is pretty simple, and it's easy to toggle between small numbers/multi dog and big numbers/single dog.

The watch has a LOT of functions but they are all controlled with 5 buttons.  I don't have the patience nor a real need to figure it out.  Heck, I've tried to use the timer for boiling eggs and manage to get it all hosed up just doing that.

I'm hoping to get a little better service life not using the watch all the time.

I've started to lock the buttons now--I kept changing screens and doing weird stuff when I put my cold hands in my pocket.  It's easy to unlock.

fourtrax57

I thought the Instinct watch was supposed to vibrate for a point alert?

This one doesn't and I haven't found a setting yet for that.

??????????????????????

Cooter Brown
40 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

I thought the Instinct watch was supposed to vibrate for a point alert?

This one doesn't and I haven't found a setting yet for that.

??????????????????????

It definitely should.  Try removing and re-installing the dog tracking widget.

fourtrax57

Cooter,

It definitely does. Just got off the phone with another UJ-er (that likes long tangs) and he walked me through the settings

to get unit to vibrate. It's under "sounds" in the settings. There is a "vibrations on /off" setting within the sounds menu. All this within the "system" group.

grouse28
5 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

Cooter,

It definitely does. Just got off the phone with another UJ-er (that likes long tangs) and he walked me through the settings

to get unit to vibrate. It's under "sounds" in the settings. There is a "vibrations on /off" setting within the sounds menu. All this within the "system" group.

Secrete handshakes and code words on these electronics baffle me.

Fortunately the vibration worked on my watch right out of the box. Otherwise would have caused me hours of head scratching.

Dave Erickson

My only beef with my Fenix 3 was with my wrist bumping the button and changing screens. I just figured out how the screen-lock works this morning (after a couple years). 

Cooter Brown
43 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

Cooter,

Glad you got it fixed.  I didn't even know you could turn off the vibration.

fourtrax57

LOCK the buttons on the watch. It's not unlike the Alpha afield with the touchscreen unlocked. Next time you look at it your on some screen you didn't even know was in the software.

blanked

On the watch with my Astro 430 already communication with the dog.... hit the left center button 2 times.  It will automatically pair itself to the Astro.  You do not have to leave the watch on that screen to get a vibrate.