REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Talon1

Topper for UTV

Talon1

I have a Polaris Ranger 6 x 6. While it has a larger bed than the standard Rangers (and it has a storage box), Storage can still be an issue with 2-3 guys using the thing. I've considered building a 4 dog topper so I can utilize the bed space below the topper for spare tires, water, and  extra fuel, etc. 

I'm thinking a pretty basic design out of aluminum. Not sure if I will put in a top storage or not. No water tanks, seats, or anything like that.  I've also considered plywood (put aluminum doors on it), but with the size of the bed on this Ranger, I can't get plywood in those sizes. 

I was wondering if you fellas have done something similar with your rigs. Homemade or custom built.

I would love to see some pics, or just get your ideas.

Thanks.

Mike da Carpenter

If you stop into a specialty plywood store and ask what is available in 60” widths and 120”-144” in length.  Sure, you are gonna pay a premium, but you will get what you are wanting.  My choice of plywood for exterior usage is MDO (Medium Density Overlay).

Also, you could use two sheets side by side on top and then on bottom also.  Have the seam oriented North/South on the bottom and East/West on the top this locking the entire unit together.  Use some ice/water shield roofing to keep the weather out.  Lots of possibilities, just need to think outside the box (pun intended).

dgfavor

Not sure if this is similar to what you had in mind but here is my setup.  3/4" osb mounted to Polaris bed rails with their quik attach anchors - flip 4 levers and whole thing lifts right off.  I "painted" the plywood with truck bed liner.  Setup for two 2-hole DeeZee aluminim boxes.  3 long rectangular totes in the bed for each persons vest, gun, snacks, etc.  I plan to put a hi-lift jack and shovels on top of one of the boxes.  I commonly will throw one of the boxes in my FJ (thats where the second box is currently - i was too lazy to put it on just for quik video) so pretty quick ratchet strap dismount/remount.  Actually was fairly inexpensive...the totes by far cost the most.

Now if I could just get the Ranger to run reliably...dang thing giving me grief

fourtrax57

ColdIron built a topper like box for his standard ranger of plywood. It's pretty slick

but not like a fiberglass topper.

Talon1

Thanks Mr. Favor for the video.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but I like your set up. I like the fact that it can come off of the rig pretty quick if needed.

15 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

ColdIron built a topper like box for his standard ranger of plywood. It's pretty slick

but not like a fiberglass topper.

I spoke to him about his set up, and he actually had sent me some pics.

These are good ideas. 

Coveyrise64

I used 3/4" BC plywood for the base with a coat of polyurethane then black paint. Added GripPro UTV anchors to hold it to the side rails. A cordless drill with a socket attached makes quick work for removing. I plan on the crates for the storage area.

20190925_190439.thumb.jpg.a2bb54d20853b9441f44859ef54f081d.jpg

Roading both from one side would be better but one of mine likes to play grab a$$ when I hook them up together. My Polaris has power steering so it is easy to set in the middle of the seat so I can see both dogs. I'd like to see pictures of your rear roading receiver mount. I like that option but like the fact I can slide the extensions in for storage when not in use. The extensions come in handy as a tie out when needed too.  Provided a friend who has a computer aided plasma cutter with a template for the front brackets. He made quick work of those and the tubing that so all I needed was 4 bolts and a couple of u-bolts to mount to the front. I have to trailer mine when I want to use it so I added a front receiver to make parking the trailer a little easier when not in use. Used e-track and wheel chocks on the trailer to make sure I load the utv in same place on the trailer. This makes it quicker/easier when strapping it down and keeps the tongue weight where I want it when rolling down the highway.

20190919_164258.thumb.jpg.01b830f8ab9d9f9bc5b4a2b3d878bc47.jpg

20190919_165021.thumb.jpg.0586ee3e8bb0c618e686984a5c4b44bb.jpg

20191222_091429.thumb.jpg.36e9da612dfee0563b904e9724b90344.jpg

dgfavor

I like having the deck sit down flush on the bed like you did.  My setup will collect alot of dust into the bed if conditions are dusty.  I am pondering a cover system for my totes to keep dust out of my hunting gear.

On my roading rig I can run the bars out of each side so can run em driver and passenger side on both front and back all at same time.  My preference when I am alone is front and back driver side where i can see them.  Ive got video descriptions of everything...i need a life! 😂

Cold Iron
On 12/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, Mike da Carpenter said:

If you stop into a specialty plywood store and ask what is available in 60” widths and 120”-144” in length.  Sure, you are gonna pay a premium, but you will get what you are wanting.  My choice of plywood for exterior usage is MDO (Medium Density Overlay).

Also, you could use two sheets side by side on top and then on bottom also.  Have the seam oriented North/South on the bottom and East/West on the top this locking the entire unit together.  Use some ice/water shield roofing to keep the weather out.  Lots of possibilities, just need to think outside the box (pun intended).

Lot of good information in this, given your handle makes sense though! 

Aluminum would be nice however very expensive for a custom fabrication. I went with 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood for most of the skin, it is extremely strong, dimensionally stable and uses exterior glue. Standard size is 5'x5' but you can get it in almost any size from 4'x8' to 5'x8'.

First year for sealing the joints I used caulk and put oak corner molding over the top of the joints. Epic fail after the first trip and ending up using RV roof tape like Mike mentioned. And aluminum channel over top of that, perfect and it is the way to go.

The trails I go down are lousy with chlorophyll

30834943767_a31cf30a10_b.jpg

you can see the scrapes on the sides 

49259060746_1b1ba14e2e_b.jpg

and have resigned myself to painting the outside once a year. Considered building a fiberglass shell but glad I didn't the trees would have shredded it to pieces the first day. The Baltic Birch has taken some real hits and no real damage. I put 2 dog vents on each side but it is airtight enough (weatherstripping seals everywhere) that he will still fog up the inside of the Lexan windows I built, but he is wet more times than not so that adds to the moisture inside.

45049850874_340599ab75_b.jpg

I wanted storage in addition to safe storage for the dog so built a platform for the crate. Under the platform I use 32" Tractor Supply boxes which are water tight for storage of recovery gear and survival equipment.

45049860254_6d85c08302_b.jpg

They fit perfectly on each side and leave enough room in the middle for stuff that I often need access to. They are on sale right now.

I like them enough that I got the large one to put in the back for a seat shooting clays and can carry 2 additional people

47965802962_60592b6af1_b.jpg

Finally got around to putting struts on the lift door this summer

48956118622_47e0e10f9b_b.jpg

But they put pressure on the sides of the box and actually caused the bed to expand in width. Ran a piece of all thread under the bottom of where the platform sits and acorn nuts on the outside of the box to maintain width. @Crazy Setter found that black backpack in the middle of a trail one day, had an InReach and survival gear in it and the guy was smart enough to put his phone number on the InReach case. Didn't get back to cell phone reception for a week and a half but Olaf said the guy was thankful to get it back.

Still a work in progress and hopefully will get around to actually painting the shelf this summer LOL. I get asked about the box including where did I buy it and that makes me feel like I did a decent job. So far.

Coveyrise64
14 minutes ago, dgfavor said:

I like having the deck sit down flush on the bed like you did.  My setup will collect alot of dust into the bed if conditions are dusty.  I am pondering a cover system for my totes to keep dust out of my hunting gear.

On my roading rig I can run the bars out of each side so can run em driver and passenger side on both front and back all at same time.  My preference when I am alone is front and back driver side where i can see them.  Ive got video descriptions of everything...i need a life! 😂

I added a 3/4" x 2" border around the bottom outside edge of mine. This gives some extra clearance for the tailgate to close. About any plywood will sag over time so I notched the bottom of the deck border on each side and added two 3/4" square tubing struts across the width of the bed to help support any additional weight. I've seen covered crates similar to yours. Dust is a concern so that is the route I will go also.

20190925_190439.jpg.d91964621c10a9f197330b0b84581dae.jpg

cr

Coveyrise64
4 minutes ago, Cold Iron said:

I wanted storage in addition to safe storage for the dog so built a platform for the crate. Under the platform I use 32" Tractor Supply boxes which are water tight for storage of recovery gear and survival equipment.

45049860254_6d85c08302_b.jpg

Nice setup....!

dgfavor

Good stuff fellars!!  

ColdIron - how is your setup attached to the bed?  My reservation with going with boxes or totes like those tractor supply ones was they have to be pulled completely out to open the lid to get at your gear - i wanted to just be able to slide the box back, grab my stuff, slide it back in.  I think for my use probably two totes for quik access to vests and guns and one box like the Tractor Supply ones completely closed to hold tools, recovery gear, etc. would have been the way to go.

I am planning to run cross supports under my deck also anticipating sag.  

I am really pondering a whole new rig as well...first world probs.

Cold Iron

My Northstar has pocket stakes for 1x4's so I built it with vertical risers that slide down into them. The pockets are tapered so had to sand down the 1x4's to fit. The platform sits on 1x3's that run around the sides and front of the box. I have eye bolts installed upside down to the platform and then use turnbuckles from the eyebolts to the built in eye tabs in the bed. When it finally warms up here, in about 6 months or so, I plan on switching out the 4 turnbuckles for a cable and quick release ratchet cam system.  

Yeah having to pull the tractor supply boxes out means I have to untie them first, they are tied down to the bed. So only keep stuff in those that I hope I never need like survival and recovery gear. I even have an electric chain saw shoved in one, but only for emergencies would rather hunt then spend time clearing trails. But if a tree falls and blocks me in it beats the ax and bow saw I have carried for years in the truck.

The all thread I ran across the back to help keep the sides from splaying also serves as a cross support to help with sagging of the platform.

My first UTV, fought getting one or an ATV for years. Now wish I would have done it sooner. At my age hoping it is my first and last one so went whole hog and did a lot of research for months. And tried as many of them out first as I could. I have heat and AC. Keeping most of it stock and got an extended warranty. Absolutely love the ride and comfort going over rough trails that would beat me and the dog up in the truck puts a smile on my face, no regrets.

aje4

Very cool setups!  Now my mind it swirling....

Crazy Setter

IMHO Coldirons set up is about perfect for getting back in the woods. He has spent a ton of time researching EVERYTHING! And it shows. 

His box has taken some brutal hits from branches and trees that would simply have destroyed a Fiberglass or aluminum made box. 

I am amazed where his rig can go with heat and A/C to boot!!

All the best,

Olaf 

ThornApple
On 12/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, dgfavor said:

Not sure if this is similar to what you had in mind but here is my setup.  3/4" osb mounted to Polaris bed rails with their quik attach anchors - flip 4 levers and whole thing lifts right off.  I "painted" the plywood with truck bed liner.  Setup for two 2-hole DeeZee aluminim boxes.  3 long rectangular totes in the bed for each persons vest, gun, snacks, etc.  I plan to put a hi-lift jack and shovels on top of one of the boxes.  I commonly will throw one of the boxes in my FJ (thats where the second box is currently - i was too lazy to put it on just for quik video) so pretty quick ratchet strap dismount/remount.  Actually was fairly inexpensive...the totes by far cost the most.

Now if I could just get the Ranger to run reliably...dang thing giving me grief

Hey Doug, who makes those indoor kennel runs i see in your garage?