Battery is weak . Last phone I tried to get a battery replaced they told me I was better off with a new phone . I don't want a new phone . This one is fine .

Is the logic that the old phone will not take the updates and will become obsolete ?

Where can I have the battery replaced without going back to Apple ?

Go to a Verizon store. It should still take updates if you have enough space left.  Or just get a new one, I went from a 7 to a 10 just before hunting season. 

What do you mean battery is weak? Doesnt last long after a full charge?

Ive found that if I plug my iPhone into a charger, unplug and replug a second time it charges normally. Ive had times when I just plugged it in once and found it with the battery drained and almost dead. I have an aged iPhone 5 and way behind in OS updates. It's a real problem I have stemming from back when the digital revolution began. As a graphic designer every update on anything meant a huge headache and hassle. 

Brad , battery time just doesn't last long , phone dies sometimes in a couple hours . OS updates are a real PIA and a headache . 

I have heard that apple updates purposely cause battery issues on obsolete phones to force an upgrade. I dont recall if that was confirmed or debunked but i think confirmed, could be wrong though. That said the X and 11 are both huge upgrades over the 7 and might be worth it anyway. Otherwise office max does screens and batteries at reasonable cost though any level of water proofing will be gone forever.

Sucks to replace a device over battery alone. I have a 4 year old surface i paid 2k for that is fine except for battery. New ones best specs are i7 and 16 gigs ram which is what i have (though clock speed has improved its incremental at best). But i cant get through a 2 hour meeting with it so I likely have to.

42 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

What do you mean battery is weak? Doesnt last long after a full charge?

Ive found that if I plug my iPhone into a charger, unplug and replug a second time it charges normally. Ive had times when I just plugged it in once and found it with the battery drained and almost dead. I have an aged iPhone 5 and way behind in OS updates. It's a real problem I have stemming from back when the digital revolution began. As a graphic designer every update on anything meant a huge headache and hassle. 

Apple no longer supports iPhone 5 or older models. Model 6 iPhone will drop off soon. Those phone will not get upgrades or any software updates. 

40 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Brad , battery time just doesn't last long , phone dies sometimes in a couple hours . OS updates are a real PIA and a headache . 

Take the phone into an ATT or Verizon, or whatever store chain you bought it from and get them to check the phone out for flaws. If you have all the comms  choices in “settings” turned on that will run the phone battery down fast.

as smart phone makers up grade their phones capabilities they make changes to the software, including changing the operating system. They then must go back and add the changes in the older phones software language which is obviously more expensive. After X number of system upgrades no one is going to pay to keep upgrading 5-6-7 year old smart phones. So all you cheapskates with very old smart phones are simply not going to have a working phone after a while. 

Dave Erickson

I was having battery problems with my iPhone 6. I took it in to the Best Buy and the guy dug out a whole bunch of lint that was stuck up in the recharge port. That helped immensely, but after a couple weeks still felt the battery was getting weak, so I had the battery replaced and despite their warnings about it being an older phone and not keeping up with the new software my iPhone 6 seems to be fine now and as good as ever. Seems ridiculous to spend a grand on a new phone when the battery gets old. Grr!

Mike da Carpenter

Go into the setting and check your battery “Life”.  If it is under 90%, I’d go get a new battery (I have, and so have both of our sons).  There are stores around that do it, although they will e more expensive than the Apple Store.  It was much more convenient to go closer to home and pay a little extra than to wait for the appointment and fight the crowds. 

What Mike said...

go to the settings icon (gear looking thing)

scroll down to "Battery"

Choose "Battery Health"

This will tell you what your current battery is capable of.  While you are there you can also go back one screen to see what is using battery the most.

It's a PIA but if you don't want to spring for a new battery you can always buy a mophie or other brick battery charger and carry around to recharge during the day. I would personally get a new battery; but I don't spend other peoples money...

Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Illini said:

What Mike said...

go to the settings icon (gear looking thing)

scroll down to "Battery"

Choose "Battery Health"

This will tell you what your current battery is capable of.  While you are there you can also go back one screen to see what is using battery the most.

It's a PIA but if you don't want to spring for a new battery you can always buy a mophie or other brick battery charger and carry around to recharge during the day. I would personally get a new battery; but I don't spend other peoples money...

Good luck!

Thank you .

Mike da Carpenter

If you just recently did the new update, you are going to notice there is a ton of “stuff” turned on that is very battery draining.  Go into settings once again and go down to “Passwords and Accounts” and open everything below that and see what is turned on.  Cellular data is a HUGE drain and so is location services.  I turn those off except for the obvious ones (maps, OnX, safari...etc.).

You’ll be surprised what got turned on and how much of a drain it is on your system. 

I'm sure the techies will say I'm wrong but if all you use the phone for is to make calls, text and browse the interweb, don't do the updates. My experience tells me you don't need them and your phone will function considerably longer with fewer glitches.  My 10yo IPhone 4 has never had an update and is still going strong on it's original battery being used as an IPod. Current phone, a 3yo SE, is doing fine as well without them. 

It's absurd to think we're convinced we have to spend $700-$1000+ every year to keep up with the latest phone. 

drummer's stump

the problem is that the old 3G towers are going to be turned off, so those old phone will not work to well. 

On 12/18/2019 at 6:38 AM, Speaks said:

I have heard that apple updates purposely cause battery issues on obsolete phones to force an upgrade. I dont recall if that was confirmed or debunked but i think confirmed, could be wrong though. That said the X and 11 are both huge upgrades over the 7 and might be worth it anyway. Otherwise office max does screens and batteries at reasonable cost though any level of water proofing will be gone forever.

Sucks to replace a device over battery alone. I have a 4 year old surface i paid 2k for that is fine except for battery. New ones best specs are i7 and 16 gigs ram which is what i have (though clock speed has improved its incremental at best). But i cant get through a 2 hour meeting with it so I likely have to.

Apple was caught doing that, I think they had to fix that issue but not sure since I can’t remember.  There might have been a class action suit. The other thing that upgrades will often do is turn everything back on.  For example if you have turned the location services off on your photos (a good idea so no one can find where that picture was taken) when you update, all of that will be turned back on and contributes to less battery life.