REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

I Phone 7

airmedic1
On 12/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, drummer's stump said:

the problem is that the old 3G towers are going to be turned off, so those old phone will not work to well. 

Verizon is scheduled to shut 3g down December 31, 2019,  I just bought $12k worth of 4g modems to allow us to transmit EKG data.  I’m not sure a Verizon 3g phone will work after December 31 at all.

oldbird

What Mike said. Had my 7 done at Best Buy. Definitely worth it. 

Snipeaholic

@gunsrus coincidentally my wife had her iPhone 7s battery changed today. She went to a place called Battery Plus. I believe it’s a small chain/franchise with several stores in our area. Cost around $60 and took about an hour. Don’t know if you have anything like that up your way but she had a good experience. This shop was also an EZ GO cart dealer but she didn’t bring one home ....

Speaks
3 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

Apple was caught doing that, I think they had to fix that issue but not sure since I can’t remember.  There might have been a class action suit. The other thing that upgrades will often do is turn everything back on.  For example if you have turned the location services off on your photos (a good idea so no one can find where that picture was taken) when you update, all of that will be turned back on and contributes to less battery life.

Yea I dont recall the details anymore but it was along those lines. I do manage settings pretty closely and see the same thing you mention with most updates. All that said I am pretty set on upgrading phones about every 2 years anyway, technology just jumps enough that it is worth it. Used to be the same way with laptops but we seem to have hit a wall at I7 and 16 gigs ram where I have not seen much change in 4-6 years and Moore's law is obsolete now. Though we seem to be just on the edge of a huge jump in quantum computing so im just holding out a bit longer waiting for that before I drop the next several K on a machine.

Really though on a phone that costs a grand but lasts 2 years before you want to upgrade you are in it for something like $1.37 per day, not to trivialize that number but its not really that bad compared to other things I spend money on given the level of use and value it provides. I have very few bills that are even close to that value level that I pay.