REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Thinking of getting a utv

mccuha

I’ve wanted a utv for a while.  I think over the summer I finally get one.  For you guys that have one is one brand better than the other. What made you choose the one you have. Im probably going to get a basic model that does have 4x4.    So what do you say

Kansas Bound

Honda Pioneer from what I hear. 700 or 1000

sharptail grouse

We use ATVs extensively for work and I am thinking of starting to switch over to UTVs for their greater load capacity and safety. I have always been a solid Honda man (for many, many applications) but I am told by those in the know that Honda is not the best choice for a UTV. These folks tell me that Polaris and CanAm are the most reliable UTV brands. I too would be interested in what other folks have to say here.

RayB

I have the Polaris Ranger, fell for the advertising, test drive them all and get the best price. They are all good.

Talon1

I've had pretty good luck with my 2013 Polaris Ranger 6 x 6.

I bought it back in 16. I chose this one because I wanted a used rig (couldn't really afford the expense of a new one), and I couldn't find a used one that wasn't worn out. Most of the used ones around here were two years old with 6K miles on them.  I found this one at a local dealership and it had less than 2000 miles on the odometer. It had been well taken care of, and they didn't have a large price tag on it. Probably couldn't get rid of it being that it is a 6 x 6. It was a trade in from a guy that would trade in about every 2-3 years. He always got a new 6 x 6.

I'm sure people have different opinions on what brands are the best, but I have friends that have the Polaris Rangers and have had good luck with them. I also have some friends that bought Can Ams two years ago, and they love those as well. They are smooth riding machines for sure.

I like the larger bed on the my rig as well as the storage box. I like to be able to store my vests and extra clothes out of the weather. Some of the smaller rigs are more challenging when it comes to storage.

mccuha

any body have a Mule. I know they were the first UTV's to come out. Ive read some reviews on them.  I'd like to find a used UTV but I know there are plenty of people that dog them and are worn out by the time theyre done with them. I'm looking at getting a base model with no real bells and whistles.

aje4

I have a Honda Pioneer 2014 with the rear pop up seats.  I use it primarily to plow my driveway and ice fish.  It has been a wonderful UTV.  I don;t have many hours/miles and I tend to take care of my stuff.  I plan on having it for many years to come.  On a side note, my ATV’s are Polaris Sportsman 550’s and I have been pleased with them.  We use them for minor trail riding and ice fishing.  Only issue with them was starting in extreme cold temps.  Polaris told me it was a switch (that I changed last year) so I won’t know until later this winter if the fix works.

aje4

My toys....

AA803ADB-7F70-4A8D-A1EF-A43B4F20FFDC.jpeg

OldSarge

I’ve had both a 2008 Polaris 500 Ranger and now a Honda Pioneer 1000 LE. The Polaris wasn’t a bad machine but was maintenance intensive. It ate wheel bearings and bushings. I REALLY like my Honda. I will only be buying Honda going forward. 

BBFB6882-6ACC-45C0-8D10-3ABFDEF94BD3.jpeg

troutchops

I bought the Kawasaki Mule for deer hunting, firewood, and snow plowing on the homestead. For that kind of work its perfect, for sport riding not so much.  

SelbyLowndes

I bought an electric powered bad boy buggy a few years ago to use for put out quail "hunting".  It is quiet and works pretty well, but when the batteries go bad it's $900 to refuel...SelbyLowndes

Kansas Bound
1 hour ago, aje4 said:

My toys....

AA803ADB-7F70-4A8D-A1EF-A43B4F20FFDC.jpeg

I have the same Budweiser Mirror of a setter. 

aje4

Nice....one of my CL or garage sale finds!

MAArcher
20 hours ago, mccuha said:

I’ve wanted a utv for a while.  I think over the summer I finally get one.  For you guys that have one is one brand better than the other. What made you choose the one you have. Im probably going to get a basic model that does have 4x4.    So what do you say

I'd get out and evaluate the trail systems you'll be riding on.  Around here, a UTV can only access about 30% of what an ATV can.  They are just two wide and not maneuverable enough for the tight and ever overgrowing trails we have.  .  

mccuha
35 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I'd get out and evaluate the trail systems you'll be riding on.  Around here, a UTV can only access about 30% of what an ATV can.  They are just two wide and not maneuverable enough for the tight and ever overgrowing trails we have.  .  

want use it on trails. Just our property doing chores, used for hunting and used in TX on my quail property.  50/50 work/hunt.