REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Thinking of getting a utv

WI Outdoor Nut

I have a buddy who own's a few powersports stores.  He carries Polaris, honda, and Yamaha.  I have rode all of them with his demo machines.  My brother has a Polaris 570 ranger, a buddy is now on his 2nd 6 passenger ranger, and another buddy with a can am.  I would not buy the Polaris, simply put, and I am sure I will upset some here, the fit and finish just isn't there.  Both my brothers and buddy's has issues slipping out of gear.  A lot of little things go wrong, and in comparison to the other machines, just lower quality. 

I am very impressed with the Honda 1000 Pioneer.  I had this unit on rough ice doing 60 mph and it felt solid and planted.  Fit and finish was excellent, and had a ton of power to do anything you needed.  Also very impressed with the Can Am models.  They feel a bit sportier too if you like that.  I didn't like the Yamaha lay outs as much as the Honda and Can Am, but they do make great machines as well. 

Good luck with your search. 

WI Outdoor Nut
2 hours ago, blanked said:

How many hours on a reliable UTV would be considered just getting broke in

if looking at the used market

To break in these 4 strokes, an hour or two would all it would take.  Then from there, it is all about how they have been used and maintained.  If abused, they can need many repairs with only 500 miles on them.  If they have just been taken down the dirt road to get the mail everyday and have 2000 miles, no big deal.  Just be very wary buying used - make sure you know what you are getting. 

SODAKer

I don't now anything about them but damn for the money, you  could get a well used 2 door Taco, lift and skinny tires for a chit less money or a lifted Subaru Baja. 

watermen
15 hours ago, blanked said:

How many hours on a reliable UTV would be considered just getting broke in

if looking at the used market

I drove this one around last week with 80 miles on it.  I asked how much it would cost me if I put it through the Ice?  I was told 37 grand.  They are getting way up there in price. If you live up north I would not have one without tracks, you really can do things that they were designed for.  I have an old beat up smaller one.  They are cheap used and get places I would not take even an old truck.  My Fil bought a Kubota summer before last with 1800 hours on the diesel  version about 7-8 years old.  He looked a long time and I trust his judgement.  He is an old motor head and figures it will last 10 more years.  My kids run the wheels off the thing and I like it when I drive it.  Simple and tough.  Like stated the maintenance  and abuse it has taken will be a big part of the value.  Mine is 14 years old now and I have not put $1500 in repairs and tires.  I change the oil every 2-3 years.  IT has electrical issues and other bigger repairs starting so it's not long for this world.  They can get you a long walk from anywhere pretty quickly.  Anything with less than 500 hours would be very reliable for some time to come I would guess. Mine has 3100 hrs. so about 35-40000 miles the way I drive?  They are very common here locally.  The Doosan diesels in the bobcat or kubota will go for ever I'm told.   

polaris with tracks.jpg

Tim Frazier

$1000 UTV

D1FC6927-EA2D-4419-A516-1F197A932BBA.jpeg

0BDE32FC-D063-404B-8170-32CA0F66F81D.jpeg

Cold Iron
On 12/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I have a buddy who own's a few powersports stores.  He carries Polaris, honda, and Yamaha.  I have rode all of them with his demo machines.  My brother has a Polaris 570 ranger, a buddy is now on his 2nd 6 passenger ranger, and another buddy with a can am.  I would not buy the Polaris, simply put, and I am sure I will upset some here, the fit and finish just isn't there.  Both my brothers and buddy's has issues slipping out of gear.  A lot of little things go wrong, and in comparison to the other machines, just lower quality. 

I am very impressed with the Honda 1000 Pioneer.  I had this unit on rough ice doing 60 mph and it felt solid and planted.  Fit and finish was excellent, and had a ton of power to do anything you needed.  Also very impressed with the Can Am models.  They feel a bit sportier too if you like that.  I didn't like the Yamaha lay outs as much as the Honda and Can Am, but they do make great machines as well. 

Good luck with your search. 

A year and a half ago started my search for a UTV, researching on line first and reading forums for most of the vendors. I had decided on the Yamaha Wolverine and was waiting for the 850 to come out. When it was finally released went to a Power Sports dealer that had one of the first in the State when I went to shoot Sporting Clays at Horse and Hunt. Crazy Setter went with me, we stopped after shooting 270 clays.

The new Yamaha Wolvie was an obstacle course getting in and out. And the layout really left a lot to be desired. They worked hard to keep it under 60" but did a poor job of it IMO. And fit and finish left a lot to be desired. Next to it was a Honda P 1K, that was my second choice. We got in it and the layout was better but still left a lot to be desired. And the fit and finish was absolutely horrible. I'm a retired Navy Machinest Mate so maybe a bit picky but don't care who you are, it was horrible. 

Totally deflated my balloon, now what. Can Am owners complain of heat in the cab from the engine and the ones that went from Polaris to Can Am said there was no gain in quality. As we got out of it a salesman, an older guy, came up to us and asked what we thought. I told him what I thought.

He said Honda is not what it used to be. Said a lot of guys come in that owned a Honda 3 wheeler years ago or a quad that lasted forever and expected the Honda quality to be the same. He said it no longer is, even though he sells them. Told me I needed to go up to the showroom and look at some of the Polaris machines. Said no thanks lots of complaints about them on the internet. He smiled and said well there are more Polaris machines sold than all the others put together, at least in Mn. So a larger sample. Took him and Crazy Setter to have me even look at them pretty much had to drag me there.

Before we went into the showroom there was a Polaris NorthStar sitting in the front. HVAC and full cab. I said let me look at it and I couldn't shut the door without slamming it. He said it was too airtight, crack the window. Fit and finish were perfect. Everywhere.

Went home and did some more research trying to talk myself out of it and Polaris. Found out they built the HVAC UTV for the Canadian military in that sand box in hell. And the US Military uses Polaris for Lightweight Tactical All Terrain Vehicles (LTATVs) especially special forces. By Polaris.

dagor-location-2-lg.jpg?v=53b34b39

Hmmm...

No regrets after more than a year.

Agree you have no idea how it was broken in or used and that is a risk buying used. First maintenance for Polaris is 20 hours. I was some where between Duluth and Thunder Bay Canada when I did mine. Babied it for the first 30 hours, lot of moving parts outside of the engine like splines and gear mesh. On the tip of the Arrowhead took it to the gas station in town down on 61. Full oil change kits for Polaris models in the gas station, you see almost as many of them running around as cars and trucks. The mechanic that did the change came out to talk to me and said it was the cleanest grease he had seen on one when he replaced it. Asked me what I did different. Makes me wonder just how hard others run them, too soon.

blanked

Is a 700 enough horsepower to climb anything?   I don’t need to go fast just get me from point A to point B

Cold Iron
1 hour ago, Tim Frazier said:

$1000 UTV

D1FC6927-EA2D-4419-A516-1F197A932BBA.jpeg

0BDE32FC-D063-404B-8170-32CA0F66F81D.jpeg

On 12/22/2019 at 8:02 PM, SODAKer said:

I don't now anything about them but damn for the money, you  could get a well used 2 door Taco, lift and skinny tires for a chit less money or a lifted Subaru Baja. 

I have a 2013 Taco, Baja Edition TX|TRD suspension. The trails if you do them enough will knock your eye teeth down to your piss sack. To quote a friend of mine that shot 3" shells in his 20 ga. Monte.

Ride. A good UTV with decent suspension is so much superior than any truck, SUV or jeep. They will put a smile on your face. You can't get there from here with a truck suspension. And trucks are inferior to a vehicle with weight in the rear as far as off roading is concerned. Like my FJ55 back in the early 80's.

23444438242_b2e56ef7bd.jpg

A UTV is much lighter. Better ride comfort. Narrower and can get into places a road vehicle can not.

23404942135_d366d04ccb_b.jpg

The antenna to my Taco is someplace down this road, it is 10 miles long. About 10 lbs. of my paint from the Taco is also down it. But has a lot of spurs off from it.

Follow me if you can, but you can't. 2.5 miles down a spur where it ends and I start to hunt. No other tracks except for wolf tracks. Everyone else is parked back at the spur head because they can't go any further.

30834943767_a31cf30a10_b.jpg

Back out at the main spur. 3 of the 4 grouse were shot by @fourtrax57 he was a wild man that day

45049854194_655b539c30_b.jpg

Now that I think about it never mind. Use your full size rigs and hunt where you can go with them. Already too damn many people in the woods and getting worse every year.

WI Outdoor Nut
9 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

A year and a half ago started my search for a UTV, researching on line first and reading forums for most of the vendors. I had decided on the Yamaha Wolverine and was waiting for the 850 to come out. When it was finally released went to a Power Sports dealer that had one of the first in the State when I went to shoot Sporting Clays at Horse and Hunt. Crazy Setter went with me, we stopped after shooting 270 clays.

The new Yamaha Wolvie was an obstacle course getting in and out. And the layout really left a lot to be desired. They worked hard to keep it under 60" but did a poor job of it IMO. And fit and finish left a lot to be desired. Next to it was a Honda P 1K, that was my second choice. We got in it and the layout was better but still left a lot to be desired. And the fit and finish was absolutely horrible. I'm a retired Navy Machinest Mate so maybe a bit picky but don't care who you are, it was horrible. 

Totally deflated my balloon, now what. Can Am owners complain of heat in the cab from the engine and the ones that went from Polaris to Can Am said there was no gain in quality. As we got out of it a salesman, an older guy, came up to us and asked what we thought. I told him what I thought.

He said Honda is not what it used to be. Said a lot of guys come in that owned a Honda 3 wheeler years ago or a quad that lasted forever and expected the Honda quality to be the same. He said it no longer is, even though he sells them. Told me I needed to go up to the showroom and look at some of the Polaris machines. Said no thanks lots of complaints about them on the internet. He smiled and said well there are more Polaris machines sold than all the others put together, at least in Mn. So a larger sample. Took him and Crazy Setter to have me even look at them pretty much had to drag me there.

Before we went into the showroom there was a Polaris NorthStar sitting in the front. HVAC and full cab. I said let me look at it and I couldn't shut the door without slamming it. He said it was too airtight, crack the window. Fit and finish were perfect. Everywhere.

Went home and did some more research trying to talk myself out of it and Polaris. Found out they built the HVAC UTV for the Canadian military in that sand box in hell. And the US Military uses Polaris for Lightweight Tactical All Terrain Vehicles (LTATVs) especially special forces. By Polaris.

dagor-location-2-lg.jpg?v=53b34b39

Hmmm...

No regrets after more than a year.

Agree you have no idea how it was broken in or used and that is a risk buying used. First maintenance for Polaris is 20 hours. I was some where between Duluth and Thunder Bay Canada when I did mine. Babied it for the first 30 hours, lot of moving parts outside of the engine like splines and gear mesh. On the tip of the Arrowhead took it to the gas station in town down on 61. Full oil change kits for Polaris models in the gas station, you see almost as many of them running around as cars and trucks. The mechanic that did the change came out to talk to me and said it was the cleanest grease he had seen on one when he replaced it. Asked me what I did different. Makes me wonder just how hard others run them, too soon.

Great post Cold - and I certainly could be wrong.  It appears you did you your research and found something that is working for you.  Everyone has their own experiences, I shared mine, and glad you shared yours.  From here, the OP can make their own choice. 

Thunder Bay

It’s amazing how versatile they are... between my wife and I we use ours for:

-  sporting clays

-  gardening 

-  snow plowing

-  trail riding

-  hauling firewood

-  get the mail

-  entertainment for kids

-  checking our pond and trail cameras

-  etc.

Basically, bullet proof - have only added gas and oil in > 5 years.  We went with a Honda Pioneer 500 (50” wide for our trails).  Added a bumper mounted winch, snowplow, and rear aluminum cargo box.  Very easy to trailer to the sporting clays course and trails.

You’ll love whatever you decide.

7EA05238-DD02-4815-B354-1E7321558176.jpeg

Craig Doherty

We use this one a lot for roading dogs, planting birds, feeding birds, hauling brush and garden stuff, etc, etc.  It's only a 570 and has plenty of power to haul a full load (just isn't as fast at the top end as the bigger machines).  It's also a crew and will hold four adults easily.

IMG_0368.thumb.jpeg.bb628d9ab712f3abe9a7411b1e877e48.jpeg

Matt D

I’ve got a Polaris crew and it works great for riding down to the marina and towing the Seadoo around and putting in and out of the lake. Recently got a chance to look at the Caterpillar line of UTV’s and was very impressed. They are built more for the work side of things IMO. Depending on what you are looking to do with them I would consider checking them out. They have only been on the market about a year but use the exact same motors as the JD Gators. One of the biggest things I was impressed with was the leg room and how comfortable they were. We have Gators at work and they are good machines but leg room leaves some to be desired. 

fourtrax57

Bought a Honda Pioneer 500 brand new in 2018. Excellent machine in SOME ways.

Manueverable, reliable. DOWNSIDES:

* RODE LIKE CRAP,  it could jar your kidneys lose on the rocky N.E. MN trails.

* Honda offers few extras for that model. You cannot get a hard cab for it from Honda

Dumped it for an older, less expensive far better riding machine. If all I rode were nice trails at sporting clay ranges or civilized two tracks it was fine. In rough terrain it flat beat hell out of me. Ride is everything at least when you get older! It would be great for a ranch etc. Rode more like Kubota RTV machines we had at work.

Hard like the Industrial Kubota units. DRIVE ONE before you buy. If the dealer isn't set up for a real test ride on the type of terrain you live around & won't let you test ride it,............ KEEP WALKING & SHOP ELSEWHERE!

bobman
9 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

Bought a Honda Pioneer 500 brand new in 2018. Excellent machine in SOME ways.

Manueverable, reliable. DOWNSIDES:

* RODE LIKE CRAP,  it could jar your kidneys lose on the rocky N.E. MN trails.

* Honda offers few extras for that model. You cannot get a hard cab for it from Honda

Dumped it for an older, less expensive far better riding machine. If all I rode were nice trails at sporting clay ranges or civilized two tracks it was fine. In rough terrain it flat beat hell out of me. Ride is everything at least when you get older! It would be great for a ranch etc. Rode more like Kubota RTV machines we had at work.

Hard like the Industrial Kubota units. DRIVE ONE before you buy. If the dealer isn't set up for a real test ride on the type of terrain you live around & won't let you test ride it,............ KEEP WALKING & SHOP ELSEWHERE!

you left out what model you ended up with?

DoubleAuto

Have a 2005 Polaris 500.  Has been trouble free.  We live on a mountain bluff.  This Polaris will go up the steep bluff with a load with no problem.