REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
charlo slim

GPS collar help for tech-averse geezer?

charlo slim

Well, I may finally break down and buy a tracking collar. Slogging around yesterday in very large cattail marshes trying to find the dog on point was such a PITA that I decided to "bite the bullet" (probably).  It's either that or just quit hunting the habitats where most of our pheasants reside this time of year.  

All I really want/need is reliability, direction and distance to dog, plus point alert.  Simpler is better, much better, for this techno-dunce.  Cheaper is better, so long as reliability is not compromised.  Use would be primarily pheasant and dusky grouse habitats --- dog is almost constantly in sight during my hun, sharptail, and BWQ ventures.

Any suggestions toward what to buy are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Joe

CheckCord

The Garmin Pro 550 Plus has been getting rave reviews from its simplicity.  Its exactly what you said, and e-collar with a simply display that shows direction of the dog and how far. 

No other screens to navigate through... 

Not cheap but not crazy either.

MDash2

Garmin 550 Plus is an option and on sale. 

Cooter Brown

Like the other two said you've pretty much described the Garmin 550.  I don't think it has mapping or navigation but the fact that you posted this morning indicates that you've been able to find your way back home so far.  Or at least to a smart phone.

BirdDog307 (Allen Davis) and Tut are both using it and they seem to like it a lot--shoot 'em a PM, unless you've pissed 'em off lately with your twisted sense of "humor".

If it's on sale now snag one and let us know what you think!

charlo slim
On 12/20/2019 at 1:06 PM, Cooter Brown said:

....., unless you've pissed 'em off lately with your twisted sense of "humor".

Moi??  Check your PM's, Dude 

tut

Big fan of the Pro 550 Plus.  Simple as simple can be.  I actually have a T5 mini collar left over from my old Astro 320 and have it also linked to the Pro 550 Plus.  I leave it at the truck and thus I can find my way back there if a sudden snow squall or fog bank moves in (both have happened to me).  I find it very easy to use.  It has a point function and if the dog goes on point I get a vibration in the unit and can also hear the point alarm.  It also shows you on the screen of the hand held that the dog is on point.  The unit also provided you due North on the unit as all times, so if you only have one collar you can at least determine what due north is.   PS.  It of course also provides you distance to the dog and an arrow to follow to that dog.  It will accommodate up to 3 dogs, but you have to toggle from dog to dog.  Not a problem with me as I only run Princess Sophie. 

The only thing I miss from the old 320 is the ability to know how many miles Sophie has covered in a day.   Not a big deal, but its good information to have available.  I still much much prefer the Pro 550 plus to the Astro.   For me simple is better.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Moi??  Check your PM's, Dude 

I don't speak Greek, and I don't have a 550

Already checked PM.  Just more bills!

Matt D

I run Springers and have never really thought about a tracking collar before.  Obviously don't need the on point component just thinking if was ever not able to find them would be nice to have that option.  Have never had it happen but would suck to not be able to locate them.  Sounds like the 550 Plus would fit what I am needing?  Anything I'm not thinking of that would say I should look at the Alpha?  Thanks

bobman

The alpha is unnecessarily complicated and a PITA I’m planning on trading my alpha for a 550 plus

even with a flusher it will tell you where the dog is, if it’s moving and in what direction which would be useful in heavy cover or recovering an injured dog, a dog in a trap or chased a deer etc

Cooter Brown
On 12/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, charlo slim said:

Well, I may finally break down and buy a tracking collar. Slogging around yesterday in very large cattail marshes trying to find the dog on point was such a PITA that I decided to "bite the bullet" (probably).  It's either that or just quit hunting the habitats where most of our pheasants reside this time of year.  

All I really want/need is reliability, direction and distance to dog, plus point alert.  Simpler is better, much better, for this techno-dunce.  Cheaper is better, so long as reliability is not compromised.  Use would be primarily pheasant and dusky grouse habitats --- dog is almost constantly in sight during my hun, sharptail, and BWQ ventures.

Any suggestions toward what to buy are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe, did you take the plunge?

tut
1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I run Springers and have never really thought about a tracking collar before.  Obviously don't need the on point component just thinking if was ever not able to find them would be nice to have that option.  Have never had it happen but would suck to not be able to locate them.  Sounds like the 550 Plus would fit what I am needing?  Anything I'm not thinking of that would say I should look at the Alpha?  Thanks

I had an Astro and moved away from it and went to the Pro 550 Plus.  The only negative I personally have with the Pro 550 Plus is you can't mark the truck location.  I solved that by having an extra collar turned on back at the truck so I can always get back there if I get lost (it happens).  I found the Astro too complicated for me and frankly more then I needed.  I'm a big fan of the Pro 550 Plus.  Only wish I had bought mine when there were on sale. 

Matt D

Thanks for the quick replies guys.  I will go with the Pro 550 Plus then.  I usually hunt with just one dog at a time but don't like switching collars so will almost always have the one at the truck as a "marker".  

bobman

A compass will get you back to the road your truck is on so keep one in your pocket

electronics are great until they fail

tut
9 minutes ago, bobman said:

A compass will get you back to the road your truck is on so keep one in your pocket

electronics are great until they fail

True.  I have one on my lanyard as well as a backup.  I had the batteries on my GPS fail one time during a snow storm.  Almost had to stay on top of a mountain with 2 dogs to keep me warm.  Thank goodness the snow let up enough that I was able to see a landmark and walked out to the truck.  Compass will keep you from getting turned around for sure. 

NJ_Springer
13 hours ago, Matt D said:

Pretty much same boat here. Did not use one with my prior Springer. Even though Springers hunt close and in sight, I’m still worried about if she were to run a deer, or get lost in thick cover. Got the Pro 550 plus with TT 15 mini collar for Christmas and have been messing with it with my Springer pup. Super easy to use and simple. I like it a lot so far, and it’s good peace of mind. I have it linked to my Garmin Fenix 5x watch. Get it with the TT 15 mini collar for a spaniel.

13 hours ago, bobman said:

The alpha is unnecessarily complicated and a PITA I’m planning on trading my alpha for a 550 plus

even with a flusher it will tell you where the dog is, if it’s moving and in what direction which would be useful in heavy cover or recovering an injured dog, a dog in a trap or chased a deer etc

Exactly why I got one