REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
charlo slim

GPS collar help for tech-averse geezer?

Chukarman

Does the 550 allow you to mark the truck?

And BTW... Happy New Year!

NJ_Springer

No. You would have to leave an extra collar in the truck like tut mentioned in post above

Matt D
49 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Does the 550 allow you to mark the truck?

And BTW... Happy New Year!

15 minutes ago, NJ_Springer said:

No. You would have to leave an extra collar in the truck like tut mentioned in post above

another option would be To add a basic hand held GPS which would be cheaper than a collar just to leave in the truck. For where I hunt I’m not worried about the truck finding component. 

Remo

What is the difference between the TT 15 & the TT 15 mini ?

Edit: Youtube to the rescue.   

NJ_Springer
35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

another option would be To add a basic hand held GPS which would be cheaper than a collar just to leave in the truck. For where I hunt I’m not worried about the truck finding component. 

I have an old hand held GPS that I’ve had from years ago that I use for deer hunting. I use that to mark my Jeep and also use my phone to mark the location 

charlo slim
On 12/31/2019 at 6:16 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Joe, did you take the plunge?

Yup, finally.  Called the order in this morning and also left a thank you for vendor support as UJ Sponsor.  Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone for guidance. 

Cooter Brown
6 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Yup, finally.  Called the order in this morning and also left a thank you for vendor support as UJ Sponsor.  Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone for guidance. 

I think you'll like the peace of mind it gives you.

SARGENT

My old ecollar, tri tronic sportsman that lasted two dogs, finally gave up the ghost on my last winter hunt.  After doing some research and listening to the guys here I am going to go 550 paired with my Garmin Instinct watch.  I think using the watch to to locate the dog will be great for me and the watch can also mark the van on its own gps mode if it is needed.  I used it to mark the van on a grouse hunt this year and it worked great.  

Speaks

I kind of wish I had got the 550 pro plus rather than the alpha. All I ever use is the compass mode anyway....

WPG Gizmo

A lot of people get more collar than what they need like the Alpha it is a great collar but 90% of the people never use the functions in it they track their dogs and find the way back to the vehicle that is about it same with the Astro 430 I use. 

All I need in a unit is the ability to track the dogs, know when they are on point and get back to the Jeep if I was designing a unit it would be that basic the only other function I would like would be one that would also track the people I am hunting with so I know where they are when we go off in different directions.

If Garmin came out with a very basic unit that just did what I mentioned at a low price point they would sell more than they could make.