REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

Which Full-sized truck?

john mcg

Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, or Toyota

Heavy duty versions not required. 4x4 is.

I want the option of being able to fit two 'Intermediate' crates in the back seat.

2017 or 2018

Jacksdad

Tundra back seat (crewmax) is massive.  It was my choice based on reliability and lack of cylinder cutoff BS. 

Tundra.jpg

chilly460

You'll get a myriad of opinions, I really think all the modern choices are pretty good, the competition among them has made for great products.  I ended up with a 2017 F150, the Ecoboost was the difference maker for me as I do a bit of towing and the turbocharged V6 makes a ton of torque at 2000rpm that others just don't have.    

CheckCord

They are ALL so nice, The crew cabs are enormous and nice for putting kennels behind the drivers seats.  I personally think the "mini" diesel offerings are really cool, but I doubt I would ever pay the premium for them.  

Im a fan of the GMC styling, but I don't like the cylinder deactivation.  Its not a huge issue but it feels like the trucks transmission is searching when switching from 4 to 8 cylinders. 

quailguy
19 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

You'll get a myriad of opinions, I really think all the modern choices are pretty good, the competition among them has made for great products.  I ended up with a 2017 F150, the Ecoboost was the difference maker for me as I do a bit of towing and the turbocharged V6 makes a ton of torque at 2000rpm that others just don't have.    

Agree. Mine is 2014 F150 eco boost.  
one of the wife’s relatives is a garage manager who said “all the modern choices are pretty good”.  I simply prefer Fords until my ship comes in and I get that Maserati. 😎

john mcg

My last was a '14 F150--but I sold it a couple years ago thinking I was done with a truck.

Price wise for low mileage 17-18s, Fords and Nissans seem a bit less.

I have never owned a Dodge, so I tend to lean away from them.

The Tundras are a good bit more and the Chevy a little more on average.

Didn't someone recently say that the Chevy had more back seat room than the Ford?

dogrunner
6 minutes ago, john mcg said:

My last was a '14 F150--but I sold it a couple years ago thinking I was done with a truck.

Price wise for low mileage 17-18s, Fords and Nissans seem a bit less.

I have never owned a Dodge, so I tend to lean away from them.

The Tundras are a good bit more and the Chevy a little more on average.

Didn't someone recently say that the Chevy had more back seat room than the Ford?

You had the last year of a steel body truck, in 15 then went to aluminium.  I also had a 14 plus a 16, 18 and now a 19.  Plenty of back seat room in a Supercrew Ford. 

DonT
20 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Plenty of back seat room in a Supercrew Ford. 

Yes and a flat floor in the back seat area but I can't fit 2 intermediate Ruff tuff crates end to end on the FLOOR of my 16 Supercrew, they may fit on the seats though.  

OutlawTorn

You'll get as many opinions as responses - you'll get ones from someone who's had the same brand across 5 trucks without an issue and the next has tried all of them and every one except the one in his driveway gave him problems.

Full disclosure, I fall into the latter category.  I bought a 2011 Ford F-150 in about 2014 and it was without a doubt the absolute worst truck I've ever owned - poor gas mileage, terrible rust issues, always needed $500-700 worth of something in the few years I owned it.  And across all the Silverado's and pre-2010 Suburbans I owned before that (I was a Chevy guy for a long time), I never had one where the tranny wasn't out at 80k miles and didn't develop some weird electrical issue that multiple service visits couldn't resolve.  I've been exceptionally happy with my 2016 RAM 2500 - durability, mileage, looks, low maintenance and trim quality for price...although it's had 5-6 recall visits in 3.5 years.

Point is, everyone has their story - go to a dealership for each and take them for a spin.  One will stand out to you and you won't be wrong - your chances of a bad experience are about the same across all the major brands.

On the other hand, if I could find a 2006 Suburban sitting in some old guys garage down south with about 50k miles on it, I'd pay a stupid price to have it.  Mine like this wasn't without it's issues, but it was my absolute favorite hunting rig ever.  

gunsrus

Nah nah nah nah , nah nah nah nah , Hey hey hey , Good Bye !

Gotta love that add and think the tailgate is awesome . Had a GMC years ago and it was fabulous .

Now I've got a Dodge two door , 4x4 , shortbed that they don't make anymore and I love it . Damn 4 doors are imitation buses ! Sad that the shortbed two door has been eliminated in every brand . I get people coming up to me every day wanting to buy it .

Jacksdad

Al body kept me from F150.  I like the V8 in it for light duty but enough paint flaking off tailgates on Ford/Lincoln SUV's that I'm never gonna own an Al vehicle. 

MAArcher
4 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

Al body kept me from F150.  I like the V8 in it for light duty but enough paint flaking off tailgates on Ford/Lincoln SUV's that I'm never gonna own an Al vehicle. 

Its so much easier to repaint aluminum though than it is to repaint steel that rusted away and isn't even there anymore.  

Lurch

I'm 2 months into a 2018 F150 crew eboost/10spd - loving it. TONS more interior room than the chevy diesel crew it replaced, and my Medium Dakota283 fits perfect behind my seat, even when adjusted for my 6'6" body, but I don't think you'd fit two in there width-wise. I've heard the D283 T1 kennels will fit end-to-end in both ford & chevy, but can't confirm or deny.

My AL body won't rust out like my 07 chevy did (at least not in the same places).

lee sykes

I asked my most excellent mechanic the same question about a year ago.   He owns a Dodge and really likes it.  He says Chevys are easiest to work on.   Toyotas, rugged and reliable  which we all know...  I decided an open bed truck was not the best choice for me so now it s a moot point.  

bobman

I rent pickups from Enterprise every other week and have for the last three years

fords chevy Nissan (titan) and Ram

I was a ford guy for the last 25 years

I recently bought a Ram 1500 with the hemi for my wife 4x4 crew with the shorter bed and the bigger back seat

Ram is in my opinion a cut above the rest and very competitively priced

January is normally the best month to buy prices are competitive 

Two of my salesman drive tundras they both are moving to Rams