REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

Which Full-sized truck?

dogrunner

Well this setup has been in many of our Ford Super-crews for a good long time. Pointers, Setters  and Britts have rode many miles and they have no complaints. 

River19

Getting the popcorn........

I clearly have thoughts here but this is like asking about Pheasant loads for Pete's sake.....

Brad Eden

Big surprise. My next truck will likely be another Tundra. Likely this summer. I'm on my second Generation 1 Tundra and it has 208,000 miles and is still doing more than I should ask of it. I'll be looking for a late model low mileage traded back Lease truck. My local dealership gets those in on a regular basis. Maybe it's familiarity, but the cab ergonomics of Toyota trucks, big or small just seem to fit me. I feel awkward and out of place sitting in other brand trucks.

CheckCord
36 minutes ago, bobman said:

I rent pickups from Enterprise every other week and have for the last three years

fords chevy Nissan (titan) and Ram

I was a ford guy for the last 25 years

I recently bought a Ram 1500 with the hemi for my wife 4x4 crew with the shorter bed and the bigger back seat

Ram is in my opinion a cut above the rest and very competitively priced

January is normally the best month to buy prices are competitive 

Two of my salesman drive tundras they both are moving to Rams

The new Ram's are awesome.  I do believe all the brands are good, but Ram is making a play for more market share and it is showing with some very nice features. 

RayB

I traded my Ram 1500 4x4 for a 2wd Chevy, Ram had the 5.7 Hemi and the lie-o-meter said I was getting 21 mpg on the high way (80 mph)my Chevy can't do better that 19 mpg per it's lie-o-meter but it has a lot less get up and go!! if your into that.

topdog1961

A lot may have changed in 22 years, but based upon my experience with my 98 F-150 4x4 (knock on wood), I’d have to seriously consider Ford for a newer truck. Of course I got lucky 7 years ago and found one well maintained by the original owner, garage stored and never driven in  snow. He had a work truck for that. 

dogrunner
43 minutes ago, bobman said:

I rent pickups from Enterprise every other week and have for the last three years

fords chevy Nissan (titan) and Ram

I was a ford guy for the last 25 years

I recently bought a Ram 1500 with the hemi for my wife 4x4 crew with the shorter bed and the bigger back seat

Ram is in my opinion a cut above the rest and very competitively priced

January is normally the best month to buy prices are competitive 

Two of my salesman drive tundras they both are moving to Rams

In my experience December is the best month to buy, usually the most rebates because they want to inflate there sales for the year end totals. 

max2

I wouldn't suggest a truck as to me that seems like a very personal opinion.  Kind of like picking your pup. That said I can't believe a company like weather tech doesn't offer tricked out components for behind the seat . I would think it would be as popular as the phone cup holder thing they always advertise. They could laser fit a nice couple dog box's for sure I would think . 

River19

John, it sounds like you have some specific fitment specs you want, probably need to narrow the list down to those that meet that criteria.  Hopefully that leaves you with some decent choices/configurations.

As everyone said, all are pretty solid products these days, especially compared with 15 years ago.

While I'm a Toyota guy for the most part, I've enjoyed the Ford diesel I had (2001) and I love the 2500 Ram I have now (2014).  I second that the more modern Rams aren't the ones of old people tend to think ill of.  Most of my friends with rigs have "3/4 or 1 tons" so different beasts.

Jacksdad

The Ram looks to be most luxurious inside.  I did really like that F150 could have heated cloth seats. 

john mcg

I figured this would be a fun thread.

LOL

I have owned a few Chevys, a GMC, 2 Fords and the Nissan Frontier.

If it weren't for the tool and material carrying capacity, I'd go back to a small truck--either the Taco or another Frontier.

Unfortunately, I need to take on some work, if we are ever gonna make it back to NH.

So far this thread has informed me of one thing---perhaps I should consider more carefully a Dodge.

Whichever way it goes, I am looking forward to building another drawer system for it---that was fun and darn convenient.

I am not sure if my fragile psyche can handle a Dodge, but we will see.

john mcg
2 hours ago, River19 said:

John, it sounds like you have some specific fitment specs you want, probably need to narrow the list down to those that meet that criteria.  Hopefully that leaves you with some decent choices/configurations.

As everyone said, all are pretty solid products these days, especially compared with 15 years ago.

While I'm a Toyota guy for the most part, I've enjoyed the Ford diesel I had (2001) and I love the 2500 Ram I have now (2014).  I second that the more modern Rams aren't the ones of old people tend to think ill of.  Most of my friends with rigs have "3/4 or 1 tons" so different beasts.

Ya---for cold winter days in the frozen north, I would like two kennels in the heated cab--whether for a second dog of mine or a friend.

This opens up more possibilities.

oldleo

2016 Ram 1500 crew cab. I took one back seat out, the small single one. The other is folded up. I have one intermediate crate on that side slid in long ways in back seat on a platform. I have a side load intermediate on a platform facing the front. I can email pics or text them. 

blanked

Chevys are well known to have the best ride but the first to fall apart if you drive off road often.  

john mcg
1 hour ago, oldleo said:

2016 Ram 1500 crew cab. I took one back seat out, the small single one. The other is folded up. I have one intermediate crate on that side slid in long ways in back seat on a platform. I have a side load intermediate on a platform facing the front. I can email pics or text them. 

Thanks—that would be great.