Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

Which Full-sized truck?

Recommended Posts

Guest
4 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Looking for a new truck as we speak.  I pull on a regular basis 6500#'s.  Having pulled with the 1/2 ton NA gas motors, to make power, they all need high RPM.  I have a 2012 F150 ecoboost and love the motor.  Overall this truck has been trouble free, minus the normal Midwest rust.  For a gas truck, it will be the ecoboost again.  I am also looking at the Duramax as an option and I have a source to get these in crew for under $50K. 

 

From a dog hauling rig, we easily get three medium crates inside the cab of the F150 with the flat floor.  Can get 4, but need to insert the 4th one through the front seats. 

 

 

It takes cylinder pressure to make power. Low RPM power is a lot more internal stress on an engine's rotating assembly than high RPM power. 

 

I drive diesels, because I love low end grunt. But RPM is nothing to be afraid of, if that's where the engine makes power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
1 minute ago, NECarson said:

It takes cylinder pressure to make power. Low RPM power is a lot more internal stress on an engine's rotating assembly than high RPM power. 

 

I drive diesels, because I love low end grunt. But RPM is nothing to be afraid of, if that's where the engine makes power. 

Yup, don't disagree, but I personally don't like it.  Hate the slamming down two or three gears to make it up a big hill.  Or always downshifting when going into a headwind.  I drove the GM 5.3 for years.  Nothing ever went wrong with the motor, just did not like the way it pulled.  My new truck will either be the ecoboost again, or a 3/4 ton diesel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Yup, don't disagree, but I personally don't like it.  Hate the slamming down two or three gears to make it up a big hill.  Or always downshifting when going into a headwind.  I drove the GM 5.3 for years.  Nothing ever went wrong with the motor, just did not like the way it pulled.  My new truck will either be the ecoboost again, or a 3/4 ton diesel. 

Oh, it's incredibly annoying for sure! 

 

Just pointing out that it's not any easier on the engine. And frequently harder on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zhtrainer

Had a 2013 Ford 3.5 ecoboost with the 6.5 ft bed. Was a very good truck, had only 70,000 miles, but I trade every six yrs. I used the truck for crop insurance work so it saw all kinds of off road use. Now have a 2019 Ford 2.7 ecoboost, crewcab with the 5.5 ft bed. My three hole dog carrier just fits on the back. An essential item for me is the step and handle on the tail gate. Of course that's an option.

ZZZNew Ford Truck.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheesy

I bought a 2020 Tundra back in August. I bought it because it’s an old design with low tech. No cylinder deactivation engine. No turbo. Big knobs for air conditioning control versus tiny buttons or a touch screen.  It’s got a few bells, but not every freaking whistle that will fail in a few years. I fully plan on driving it 250,000 miles. 
 

TqyjZ4N.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacksdad
On 1/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, zhtrainer said:

Had a 2013 Ford 3.5 ecoboost with the 6.5 ft bed. Was a very good truck, had only 70,000 miles, but I trade every six yrs. I used the truck for crop insurance work so it saw all kinds of off road use. Now have a 2019 Ford 2.7 ecoboost, crewcab with the 5.5 ft bed. My three hole dog carrier just fits on the back. An essential item for me is the step and handle on the tail gate. Of course that's an option.

ZZZNew Ford Truck.JPG

Beautiful truck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Santa dropped this one off just before Christmas 🎄 

CA43884A-0F62-4B19-9146-48928BBB1D7B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
On 1/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Looking for a new truck as we speak.  I pull on a regular basis 6500#'s.  Having pulled with the 1/2 ton NA gas motors, to make power, they all need high RPM.  I have a 2012 F150 ecoboost and love the motor.  Overall this truck has been trouble free, minus the normal Midwest rust.  For a gas truck, it will be the ecoboost again.  I am also looking at the Duramax as an option and I have a source to get these in crew for under $50K. 

 

From a dog hauling rig, we easily get three medium crates inside the cab of the F150 with the flat floor.  Can get 4, but need to insert the 4th one through the front seats. 

 

Looking at prices, if one wants a truck but does not need the bigger motor in the fords, there are some great deals out there.  F150 Super Crew 4x4 with 2.7 eco for $35K.

https://www.hudsonford.com/new-Hudson+WI-2019-Ford-F+150-XL-1FTEW1EPXKKF03039

You could get a 5.0 and probably get better mileage when you are pulling, plus it’s cheaper than a 3.5 motor and gets about the same mileage when not towing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
River19
14 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

You could get a 5.0 and probably get better mileage when you are pulling, plus it’s cheaper than a 3.5 motor and gets about the same mileage when not towing. 

 

From what I have seen of Ford maint techs over the years they largely prefer the 5.0 as well.......not because the 3.5 is a bad engine, but from a simplicity, maint. and "V8 Tradition" standpoint.  Point being, the 5.0 V8 should not be overlooked as an option.

 

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to score a Ram 1500 if I were in the market again.

 

Again, there are many great options.......find the configuration that works for you and then play the price game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolawson

How soon one forgets on what manufacture took a government bailout as the CEO's lined their pockets. Correct me if I am wrong, but Ford did not. That will be my next purchase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kgb
1 hour ago, rolawson said:

How soon one forgets on what manufacture took a government bailout as the CEO's lined their pockets. Correct me if I am wrong, but Ford did not. That will be my next purchase. 

 

I ran into your soul mate in Denver several years back.

 

Are you sure it was CEO's lining their pockets?

IMG00597-20140914-1855.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

You could get a 5.0 and probably get better mileage when you are pulling, plus it’s cheaper than a 3.5 motor and gets about the same mileage when not towing. 

I have pulled my 6500# boat from my home in NE WI to the islands in Erie with my neighbors 5.0 Ford F150, and my truck, 3.5 ecoboost.  When pulling, I really don't worry about mpg, they all pretty much suck, but I did get about 1 mpg better than the 5.0.  And it pulled it way better - no downshifting 2 gears, cranking up the RPM's just to maintain speed on a hill or pass as needed.  I don't have anything against anyone who has the 5.0, but from a pulling standpoint, I greatly prefer the 3.5 ecoboost.  If I don't go that route, I will be buying a diesel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Drives any further down the political road and it's put up on blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaFlyfisher
On 1/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

 

That new Honda is not a pickup truck. And we like Honda's, on our 3rd Pilot.

In what sense? Because it is not body on frame? It has a bed. It has non-trivial towing and payload, especially relative to what trucks were capable of historically and what most people would use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
On 1/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I have pulled my 6500# boat from my home in NE WI to the islands in Erie with my neighbors 5.0 Ford F150, and my truck, 3.5 ecoboost.  When pulling, I really don't worry about mpg, they all pretty much suck, but I did get about 1 mpg better than the 5.0.  And it pulled it way better - no downshifting 2 gears, cranking up the RPM's just to maintain speed on a hill or pass as needed.  I don't have anything against anyone who has the 5.0, but from a pulling standpoint, I greatly prefer the 3.5 ecoboost.  If I don't go that route, I will be buying a diesel. 

Not sure what year 5.0 you drove but in 2018 they gave the motor more hp/torque plus the 10 speed trans.   It is a big difference now plus a bunch of different shifting options on the  column, defiantly a big improvement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×