Pick up trucks two door vs four door

I much prefer a 4-door crew cab "regular bed" vs. a 2-door 4×4. At the very least I want an "extra cab" type but the crew is far more preferable IMO.

I have 4Runner now but before that I owned Chevy Colorado crew cab. It definitely wasn't a bus and even the full size trucks with crew cabs don't need to be buses. Just get a regular bed instead of long. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• Brad Eden

• gunsrus

• Lurch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 62 Chevy short bed step side was a two door 4X4. It wouldn't carry many hunters but it sure would take you where ever you wanted to hunt.

Room to spare for my trip this year,  And that was taking two 870's with two different vests (the 20ga vest and the 28ga vest using Eden's gauge specific vest technique.)  And two pairs of boots becau

4 door gives so many options - between dogs and people in the cab, I will never go back. 

Posted Images

Samuel Hoggson
41 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Is a bench seat even available anymore in a new 2-door Super Duty, Samuel? Funny the little things that go away that one misses. Wing windows and the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch are on that list for me. 

No, just the split 40/20/40.  Was gonna get rollups, too, but my mechanic looked at me funny, said "aren't you too old to be reaching over to the passenger side?".  Power windows/doors was the single option I took. 

2 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Funny the little things that go away that one misses. Wing windows and the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch are on that list for me. 

My cousin has newer vehicles but a few years back bought a '70 Dart to take to the drags.  His son thought the quarter windows were the coolest thing, and the hurricane winds from the ventilation system near the floor delight with all of the things that blast out of it.  

Our first Dakota was an xtra cab, current is a 4-door.  For mid-sized trucks like this I really like the 4 doors.  A friend drives a Silverado 2500 with clamshell type rear doors to get to the back bench, and for a full size it's the right option given the size of those beasts.

OutlawTorn

I'd love one of the new Rangers with the xtra cab (not crew) and rear seat delete for hunting.  Put some Duratracs and a small lift on it, there's not many forest roads or section roads that would stop two guys and a couple dogs from getting around in a pretty nimble, fuel efficient package.

My RAM 2500 6.4L gets 17 mpg on a good day and it's an absolute pain in the ass to turn around on a two lane dirt road, let alone a forest road.  But, as long as my requirements include hauling kids, dogs and trailers (for more than just hunting) I'll want the bigger truck with the crew cab and deal with the inconveniences that go along with it.  Unless of course I'm ever in a position to have two trucks...

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, but...the late model (big) Tundras have a decent sized backseat/area in their extended cab models. And that makes for a longer bed than the full 4 door models. We are thinking of maybe getting a camper top which will need a longer bed, so I'm on the fence on which Tundra to get if that's the way I go on next vehicle.

I have owned a double cab and much prefer them to the crew max. I would hate to give up the 6.5 foot bet and the back seats of the smaller one work just fine for all my needs. Just a shame I cant get some of the nicer trim packages without going to crew max though. 

4 hours ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

I remember my first new truck, a 79 Chevy straight six, three on the tree,  bench seat, and  eight foot cart. Thought it was the best thing in the world.

Boy was I ever wrong. It was good for then, but I'll take what I have now.

I like the terminology 8 ft cart.Makes perfect sense. When I started in the trades the company I worked for had what sounds like this truck. It was a yellowish /gold color.  

Now to the original question Regular cab 8 Ft cart would be perfecto for me .  I chose the extended cab with the shorter bed because it is a car and a truck. 

4 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Gas, though.  Diesel doesn't make sense anymore.  $11k premium paid up front, ongoing 70 cents/gal more for fuel, all for 2mpg better fuel mileage.  Never mind winter starting/block heater, two batteries, doubling the cost of an oil change, etc. 

Bit bit off topic from the thread, diesels wouldn't sell like they do if this was true.

While yes the cost of the diesel engine is expensive, however you can get the bulk of your money back if you decide to sell.

Not sure where I could go to pay  $0.70/ gallon more for diesel. Around here diesel is a bit cheaper than premium gasoline.

When I pulled a horse trailer with my half ton suburban,, I could expect about 8mpg,,, unless I was bucking a bad headwind. The worst I ever remember was 6.2mpg. With a diesel loaded with a camper and pulling horses, I get 13+mpg if the wind isn't hurting me. Each of the diesels I've had got 20+mpg down the highway running empty and obeying the speed limits.

While diesels have a far larger oil crankcase, they also can go quite a bit longer between changes.

The glow plugs make getting a diesel started on a cold morning, no tougher than a gasser in my experience. Although I've only tested this to -20something.

If you don't tow regularly, you don't need a diesel. Once you tow a big load with a diesel,,, it would take one 4ell of a salesman to convince you to go back to a gasser.

4 hours ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

The dimmers on the floor were a PIA. After a while they got rusty and would stick from the wet and sand. I think the dimmer on the column is one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

Took me a while to get used to them - kept getting my foot stuck in the steering wheel trying to activate it.

Single cab? You mean race cab! 

I've never owned one. At least a small back seat is a requirement of mine. More for stuff than people. 

I sometimes miss the days of extended cab trucks. 4 real doors is just so much more versatile for my daily life. 

john mcg

The 4 door makes for an SUV and a truck all in one...much more useful for my needs.

Put a cap on it and an opening rear window, build a drawer storage system and voila!

Hunt, fishing and working perfection. Rocket box on top and a towing package rounds it off.

= vehicle happiness for dog, man and an occasional wife.

Just sold my trashed F-150 extended cab that I pulled the back seats out of for hunting. Bought an E-150 mid-roof pass. van and pulled all the bench seats out. I'd been contemplating going to a van for a few years. Took the van to Idaho for a couple of weeks and wish I would have gone to a van years ago. More room, more secure, more comfortable to drive, better vision and the same gas mileage. Ordered a rear and front hitch and spare tire carrier. Will put an ox lock on the differential and be good to go. I don't expect to miss the 4x4 as I doubt that I used it five times in the 16 yrs. I drove the truck hunting all but three states west of the Mississippi R. and never required a pull. Always lived by the adage that 4 wheel drive will likely get me more stuck. 

Bluegill68

This is the best setup I have ever owned!

7B131B47-0D6F-4BA5-BA3D-77CEA9F47B28.thumb.jpeg.bac45c164a63098d613ed154c3e8252f.jpeg

Birdcountry70
6 hours ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

The dimmers on the floor were a PIA. After a while they got rusty and would stick from the wet and sand. I think the dimmer on the column is one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

I have a hard time getting my foot up high enough to run the dimmer switches since they moved them to the steering column.😉 Dang it, just noticed lurch beat me to it!  Someone else with a sense of humor as twisted as mine!

Edited by Birdcountry70
Add
1 hour ago, Randy S said:

Just sold my trashed F-150 extended cab that I pulled the back seats out of for hunting. Bought an E-150 mid-roof pass. van and pulled all the bench seats out. I'd been contemplating going to a van for a few years. Took the van to Idaho for a couple of weeks and wish I would have gone to a van years ago. More room, more secure, more comfortable to drive, better vision and the same gas mileage. Ordered a rear and front hitch and spare tire carrier. Will put an ox lock on the differential and be good to go. I don't expect to miss the 4x4 as I doubt that I used it five times in the 16 yrs. I drove the truck hunting all but three states west of the Mississippi R. and never required a pull. Always lived by the adage that 4 wheel drive will likely get me more stuck. 

You don't need four wheel drive until you do. Two wheel drive trucks are so uncommon out here that you notice them right away.