Pick up trucks two door vs four door

erik meade
7 hours ago, studdog said:

Why on earth anyone would want a 2 door versus 4 is beyond me.

Because I know me, and that back cab space would just collect crap. You other people are, I am sure, reasonably disciplined and probably do not have ADHD and would never let stuff pile up behind the seat.  But that is what I do when I am using an extended cab truck. 

Last May my dad sold his 2004 Extended cab 4x4 Toyota Tundra. He offered to give it to me - since we live in the same town and I used it about as much as him. If he gave it to me then I would have to store it and maintain it and he could still use it...

I thought about it, but finally concluded that if I am going to take care of a truck it should be a truck I want, and I would rather pay for one I want, than get a free one that I do not quite want.

What I want is regular cab, short bed, stick shift, 4x4. I have been halfheartedly looking for one a while now.  I can tell you this, they do not last long on the used market. That configuration brings a premium price, especially when you consider that they were cheaper to begin with.  There were not many short bed, regular cab, 4x4 manual trucks made to begin with, I suppose, but there appear to be more buyers for the ones that were made than there are people. I have asked a couple of people if they were interested in selling, I have been told that they get tired of people asking them.

Eventually the right truck will come along. If anyone comes across what seems a decent deal on one let me know (I am allergic to Dodges,)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• Brad Eden

• gunsrus

• Lurch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 62 Chevy short bed step side was a two door 4X4. It wouldn't carry many hunters but it sure would take you where ever you wanted to hunt.

Room to spare for my trip this year,  And that was taking two 870's with two different vests (the 20ga vest and the 28ga vest using Eden's gauge specific vest technique.)  And two pairs of boots becau

4 door gives so many options - between dogs and people in the cab, I will never go back. 

Posted Images

john mcg

My trucks are kept pristine and regularly spritzed with pleasant aromas.

All gear and misc items properly contained in airtight containers according to type and use frequency.

Marc Ret
9 hours ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

The dimmers on the floor were a PIA. After a while they got rusty and would stick from the wet and sand. I think the dimmer on the column is one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

I only had them on one vehicle, an '89 Bronco. I never experienced any issues with them in the 100,000 miles I put on that truck and found myself missing the feature when I moved to a '97 F250. At least that truck still had the wing window.🙂

WhatsDaPoint
2 hours ago, erik meade said:

What I want is regular cab, short bed, stick shift, 4x4. I have been halfheartedly looking for one a while now.  I can tell you this, they do not last long on the used market. That configuration brings a premium price, especially when you consider that they were cheaper to begin with.  There were not many short bed, regular cab, 4x4 manual trucks made to begin with, I suppose, but there appear to be more buyers for the ones that were made than there are people. I have asked a couple of people if they were interested in selling, I have been told that they get tired of people asking them.

Eventually the right truck will come along. If anyone comes across what seems a decent deal on one let me know (I am allergic to Dodges,)

Reg cab. Diesel. Stick. But a Ram. 
I love my ram 2500 manual transmission. This is a nice looking truck. 

27852BF6-36C9-4BE8-9D5C-64DADB648BE0.jpeg

Samuel Hoggson
5 hours ago, 406dn said:

Bit bit off topic from the thread, diesels wouldn't sell like they do if this was true.

While yes the cost of the diesel engine is expensive, however you can get the bulk of your money back if you decide to sell.

Not sure where I could go to pay  $0.70/ gallon more for diesel. Around here diesel is a bit cheaper than premium gasoline.

When I pulled a horse trailer with my half ton suburban,, I could expect about 8mpg,,, unless I was bucking a bad headwind. The worst I ever remember was 6.2mpg. With a diesel loaded with a camper and pulling horses, I get 13+mpg if the wind isn't hurting me. Each of the diesels I've had got 20+mpg down the highway running empty and obeying the speed limits.

While diesels have a far larger oil crankcase, they also can go quite a bit longer between changes.

The glow plugs make getting a diesel started on a cold morning, no tougher than a gasser in my experience. Although I've only tested this to -20something.

If you don't tow regularly, you don't need a diesel. Once you tow a big load with a diesel,,, it would take one 4ell of a salesman to convince you to go back to a gasser.

Different uses, fuel prices, years kept, etc.  Kinda like in our choke and shot size threads.  When you know the variables, turns out folks are usually making the smart calls.

Here are my variables. 

I don't tow, don't regularly carry heavy loads.  Just occasional loads - like firewood, lumber, etc.  16.5 mpg around town and highway year-round avg so far with the 6.2.  The 7.3 got me an average 18.5 mpg.  The '89 was more like 17 even.  Friends with the new Superduty diesel tell me they get about the same 18.5 mpg figure doing the same type of driving, ie., not just cruising empty down the highway.  Apples to apples.  

Recovering the diesel engine premium?  Maybe if I traded in each year.  But I zero stuff out.  Sold the '01 over a year ago.  Friendly sale, but I ran the numbers first.  Gasser would have translated as about $1.5k less to me.   

Around here fuel differential has been around $0.70, though it fluctuates.  In fact when I bought the new truck diesel was $3.20, 87 E10 was $2.40. 

Never extended my diesel oil change interval beyond 6k miles.  Pretty dirty at that point, though never got into crank oil testing.  Doing 5k for the 6.2.  So a partial offset for the extra 1k miles.  Which doesn't cover all the extra oil costs.

Glow plugs have been a chronic problem IME.  Maybe bad luck.  Maybe the new engine does better.  Have only owned 7.3s.  Will say this re both trucks - if even one glow plug wasn't working things got real iffy in Dec/Jan/Feb. 

Then there's annual mileage.  Now averaging just 12,000 miles/year.  Artifact of retirement.  That doesn't help sell me a diesel.    

Finally, as you note, "if you don't tow regularly"..........guilty as charged.  

Wirehair

Having a 2 door truck would be like having a workshop without a work bench.  

erik meade
45 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

Having a 2 door truck would be like having a workshop without a work bench.  

It seems to me it is more like having a workshop without a closet to get all cluttered up.

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, erik meade said:

It seems to me it is more like having a workshop without a closet to get all cluttered up.

Well....you bird hunt out of a Miata, so there is that.

quailguy
19 hours ago, studdog said:

Why on earth anyone would want a 2 door versus 4 is beyond me.

Agree^^^.   
I’ve had the “extra cab” trucks with just 1/2 a back seat, one 8 ft bed F150 regular cab, one Chevy regular cab and 3 F150s with the full 4 seats. I will never have anything but the full four door deal again. All my stuff in the back seat is in fully enclosed packages except the dogs water container. And even my big German farm boy BIL fits in the back seat. I have a bad back and my F150 XLT crew cab front seat is the most comfortable chair I own. And that includes a very damn expensive Lazy Boy electric lounger. 
And all my hunting crap that can stay outside (decoy bags, dead deer etc) fits in the 6.5 ft bed no problem.  

Al is really into nostalgia these days, I suppose??

dogrunner

Al you need this one by the sounds of it. 😁

AB7A5A0C-BC2C-409E-AE9F-3621C2BEC029.jpeg

DD03E63D-4187-4818-9A74-3020DA9F92B7.jpeg

12 hours ago, erik meade said:

Because I know me, and that back cab space would just collect crap. You other people are, I am sure, reasonably disciplined and probably do not have ADHD and would never let stuff pile up behind the seat.  But that is what I do when I am using an extended cab truck. 

Last May my dad sold his 2004 Extended cab 4x4 Toyota Tundra. He offered to give it to me - since we live in the same town and I used it about as much as him. If he gave it to me then I would have to store it and maintain it and he could still use it...

I thought about it, but finally concluded that if I am going to take care of a truck it should be a truck I want, and I would rather pay for one I want, than get a free one that I do not quite want.

Finally !  My thoughts exactly .

4 door is more versatile and allows you to do more if needed.....

9 hours ago, WhatsDaPoint said:

Reg cab. Diesel. Stick. But a Ram. 
I love my ram 2500 manual transmission. This is a nice looking truck. 

27852BF6-36C9-4BE8-9D5C-64DADB648BE0.jpeg

Me like !!!!

I do see the need for the "bus" 4 door . Big family , lots of travel . A pick up bed . 

But , in reality , how many suburbanites need a pick up bed ? Half my suburban neighbors have those buses and the bed never gets used , NEVER. 

My wife's boss bought one . He wanted a new Tahoe or Suburban but settled on the high end truck , still $20,000 less than the SUV's . He's happy with the truck , plenty of room and luxury for the family and saved a bunch of $$$ . 

I like a truck being a truck . My Ram still has plenty of room behind the seat so the seats really kick back . I'm 6' , 220 and it's like a living room . I am lucky having the '99 Tahoe "grousemobile" to put the three Setters in and my wife and daughter both have a newer Tahoe LTZ . 

My daughter also has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that stays up in Maine . 

I'll admit my truck is just a toy for me . 2005 , 30,000 miles , never seen snow . I'm just nostalgic . 

Brad Eden

Trucks are mainstream and largely luxury vehicles now. I see everything from guys in business suits driving them to soccer moms. Good for them. I prefer to utilize my truck bed.

IMG_0536.JPG