Pick up trucks two door vs four door

The only trucks i have ever owned were 2door 2wheel drive Rangers. I miss having one. Both were were as basic as a vehicle can get with roll up windows, no ac, and stick shift. I would have one again in a heartbeat but I have kids now so i need room for car seats. I will probably keep driving suvs and have my little utility trailer for when i need to haul a load.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• erik meade

• Brad Eden

• gunsrus

• Lurch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 62 Chevy short bed step side was a two door 4X4. It wouldn't carry many hunters but it sure would take you where ever you wanted to hunt.

Room to spare for my trip this year,  And that was taking two 870's with two different vests (the 20ga vest and the 28ga vest using Eden's gauge specific vest technique.)  And two pairs of boots becau

4 door gives so many options - between dogs and people in the cab, I will never go back. 

Posted Images

erik meade
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Well....you bird hunt out of a Miata, so there is that.

miata-trunk.jpg

Room to spare for my trip this year,  And that was taking two 870's with two different vests (the 20ga vest and the 28ga vest using Eden's gauge specific vest technique.)  And two pairs of boots because the Le Chameaus are new and wasn't sure they would work. And camping gear in case I couldn't sleep in the car with the passenger seat out.

eating-time.jpg

Dang Erik I haul my stuff in a 15 passenger van and it gets cluttered lol

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Trucks are mainstream and largely luxury vehicles now. I see everything from guys in business suits driving them to soccer moms. Good for them. I prefer to utilize my truck bed.

It is not uncommon to see me in a business suit driving my truck. When I do though I have to put a town down on the seat to avoid getting it covered in setter hair. 

I love my 4 door tundra (double cab not the huge crew max) and it serves me better than a regular cab would given that it is my only vehicle. Its not uncommon that I have more than one dog with me, also not uncommon for me to head to the cabin with 2 other guys and 2 dogs so regular cab would just not work for that. There was a time when I also had a 77 F150 as a fun truck, had to sell it in 08 when I moved and didnt have a place to park it any more. 

In an ideal world if I was filthy rich I would have an Desil F250 or F350 4 door with a cap on it for towing, trips, etc. I would have a regular cab short bed 4x4 would be my daily driver, ideally an older one. I would have an SUV likely a 4 runner or land cruiser because there are times where that is useful. And a luxury/sports car,  something like an RS 7 or a Quattroporte, and a taco 4x4 with a cap to leave at the cabin as the grousemobile. 

Sage Hen

My 62 Chevy short bed step side was a two door 4X4. It wouldn't carry many hunters but it sure would take you where ever you wanted to hunt.

quailguy
3 hours ago, erik meade said:

miata-trunk.jpg

Room to spare for my trip this year,  And that was taking two 870's with two different vests (the 20ga vest and the 28ga vest using Eden's gauge specific vest technique.)  And two pairs of boots because the Le Chameaus are new and wasn't sure they would work. And camping gear in case I couldn't sleep in the car with the passenger seat out.

eating-time.jpg

Ahh, the Zen of bird hunting out of a Miata. Something only a philosophy major can do right.  
my Britt would likely chew up something valued.  

2 hours ago, Speaks said:

It is not uncommon to see me in a business suit driving my truck. When I do though I have to put a town down on the seat to avoid getting it covered in setter hair. 

I just hopped out of my 4 door, King Ranch F250 in a sweater to walk into a trendy restaurant for lunch. I forgot my scarf today though. 

There's a Pointer napping in the back seat, I'm getting some supplies for the custom door unit I'm building in my shop, and looked a little bathroom remodel while I was out. 

Looks can be deceiving! 

Wirehair
21 hours ago, erik meade said:

It seems to me it is more like having a workshop without a closet to get all cluttered up.

LMAO!!

Wirehair
11 hours ago, erik meade said:

miata-trunk.jpg

eating-time.jpg

Wow!!  So it is possible to put 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound sack!   :)

Greg Hartman
On 1/7/2020 at 11:16 AM, studdog said:

Why on earth anyone would want a 2 door versus 4 is beyond me.

I'm with you on that, George.  There's no reason a crew cab truck needs to be enormous.

My last truck was an old-style Tundra crew cab.  Rode like a limo.  Plenty of room for what I need (I live in the country and find a truck handy for lots of stuff besides hunting, but I'm not a farmer or a contractor).   Not a behemoth.

Current truck is a new Ford Ranger with crew cab and short bed.  It's very close to the size of the old Tundra.  It rides more truck-like than the old Tundra, but it is truly awesome off-road and it gets much better gas mileage.  Again, it does everything I need (including being towed behind the MH). Not a behemoth.

Jalinkly

Four door Tundra. How do I know?  Wife said I need a truck, (mine is 23 years old). She says perfect for the beach. Crew cab for family of four. Truck bed for sandy beach stuff.  Who am I to argue?

whiskyjack
On 1/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, 406dn said:

You don't need four wheel drive until you do. Two wheel drive trucks are so uncommon out here that you notice them right away.

Holds true here in Alberta as well. Big, 4x4 crew-cabs rule the bush here.

Jeff

Don Steese
On 1/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, gunsrus said:

I started something on another thread . Personally , I like the shortbed two door 4x4 . I've been fortunate to have other trucks , vans , SUV's  for work , home and play . I'm feeling a little nostalgic now because every brand has eliminated the two door , shortbed 4x4 . I think that happened two years ago . 

My Dodge two door shortbed 4x4 is fine and will probably outlast me . I looked online the other day and couldn't find one used for sale . Now I know why everyday someone will approach me to sell mine . 

It seems that this four door 4x4 bus has taken over where the caravan has stopped . Good for the companies that saw the innovation for building this vehicle . I do understand the need for families that gravitate to the 4 door PU but damn , that is one huge truck and living in the city , I know my wife would have a tough time parking it . I get nervous wth her in the Tahoe . 

I know I'm rambling but remember the days of my youth driving the little two door with my honey sitting close to me . I guess It made me feel like I had it all . 

Any others miss that truck ?

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.3076d9edb50d35892fcaaf965d352c87.JPG

whiskyjack

Miss the old 2 door 4x4 with 8 foot box. First one I had was a 72 Sierra w/454. Front bench so the ladies could snuggle up close......

Got married, kids required a truck with a backseat so I ended up with extended cab F150 then GMC 2500 3/4 ton. For some reason, I bought a Dakota w/crew-cab, small box. Didn't pan out so great. Went to crew-cab 4x4 Rams, on my 3rd one now. 2019 1500 Ram Rebel package. Has a crew-cab I could live in, darn thing is massive. It is my hunting/fly-fishing and travel trailer hauler. Plan is to be my last truck so I kept my 14 1500 Sport as a daily driver. I wish the Rebel was avail with the 8 foot box! I do miss that old 72 though.

One of my boys has a 2001 F350 diesel, lifted 8 inches, CC  w/ long box. Folks just get outta his way. It doesn't like to start in the winter when the temp hits -25 to -40 C but, then again, who does??

Jeff

Ahh...for the days when this was all I needed.

And, yes, a floor mounted hi-low light switch and 4 on the floor.

1326624895_Morrisute.thumb.jpg.d357c06d7be93ac53859e44bc432469b.jpg