Who loves their job?

Tim Frazier

I have long believed that any job becomes a job no matter how great it starts out.  That said I know some people who really do love going to work.  I thought when I became a Flight Nurse I had reached the top of the mountain and for sure it was a good job, but reality hit when after a few years I realized crap can roll up a mountain too.  For the last decade I have been in a job that pays well, is honorable (whatever that is), and gives me a decent amount of time off.  I can't wait to retire but that's still a few years off and I can't help but remind myself that most of it is attitude.  If I found a second career, that I loved doing every day,   I might not need to retire.

So who LOVES what they do?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• Dick Sellers

• Zoli 16ga.

• Tim Frazier

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the trick to contentment is not to be defined by what you do for a living. If what you do is who you are, your not going to be very happy when you retire.  Do your job, take the money, go home

Work is a four letter word.  Some of you guys have watched me post on this board for 15 years or more, I'm a ruffed grouse honk and not apologetic about it one bit.  I just left a job at the

I will advise my children to stay away from corporate america.  It is soul sucking, and takes from you much more than it gives.  While I am good at this, its not something that "means" anything in a b

Posted Images

I loved my work as a self-employed fisheries biologist even though my boss was a jerk.

I retired for medical reasons. I really love being retired. It is the best job ever.

bennelli-banger

No, for sure not, but after a long holiday weekend, for example, I am excited to get out of the house and go to the office...then, once there, I can't wait to leave!  I am formally entering into an arrangement to sell my book of business to a younger coworker, and it means that I will be obligated to stay at least 15 months from right now, and realistically, 39 months from now, though I could leave anytime after 15 months.  Having said all that, it makes me appreciate my job and all that comes with it...namely, the people...both coworkers and clients.  Even if I stay the  full 39 months, it will fly by, especially since the valuation of my business is basically already done, so my production over the next few years doesn't factor into the sale price.  I'm at 30 years this September, it will be around 32.5 when I walk out the door...it is enough.  I like serving my clients...they need and appreciate the help.  I don't like the compliance/regulatory aspect of the industry I am in, the government has inserted itself into it to a crazy degree...I am 100% supportive of making my industry better/safer for the customer, but the pendulum has swung too far, IMO.  Starting this fall, I plan to set up shop in the prairie country starting in mid-September for a good chunk of time...have been doing that for a few years now, but I have been commuting back and forth and doing 3-4 trips...hopefully this will be one long trip.   Kind of the beginning of my retirement activities...

Don Steese

I never could understand how anyone could get up every morning ( in my case 4:00 AM) and go to a job they didn't like. I know money and benefits play a role but fear of the unknown also plays a big part of why people stay in jobs they hate. I looked forward to going to work every day.  If some fool with more money than brains hadn't come along I'd probably still be doing it!

I play with big trucks in the sandbox trying to break them - just like a kid, only bigger.

If I didn't like what I was doing, I'd find something else to do, but it's kept me happy for 20 yrs so far.

Every place has it's own disease and politcs.

CheckCord

I will advise my children to stay away from corporate america.  It is soul sucking, and takes from you much more than it gives.  While I am good at this, its not something that "means" anything in a broader sense. 

chilly460

I loathe every single day, just the way it is.  Looking for an escape clause but it's easier said than done.  

RuffChaser

I wouldn't say I love it but I'm as close to that as I can get. There are still too many things out my control/I don't like to actually love it. When you look at the basic thing I do as an Engineer which is design parts then I love it. The other stuff not so much. I will say this. I have generally liked every place I've worked at as an Engineer but I haven't always liked who I work for.

ScottGrush

Work is a four letter word. 

Some of you guys have watched me post on this board for 15 years or more, I'm a ruffed grouse honk and not apologetic about it one bit. 

I just left a job at the Ruffed Grouse Society. Go figure eh? 

Before that for 22 years I had my own gold-smithing shop repairing jewelry. I had a lot of day to day satisfaction and a flexible schedule i.e. hunted when I wanted to for the most part. 

I'm not sure where I'll land next, still need to work because as my wife tells me I am not retired I am just unemployed. Lol. 

I loved being a petroleum exploration geologist. That said, while I loved my job I hated the corporate culture of the company I worked for. I was finally laid off during one of the oil industries downturns (they seem to happen about every 7-8 years) and for the next 18 years I worked in environmental, the last 15 years in my own business until cancer reared its ugly head and I went to work for Halliburton so I could move back to Houston and my wife could go to MD Anderson Cancer Center for treatment. Believe it or not the two years I spent at Halliburton wasn't too bad until I lost my job to yet another oil industry downturn.

Steve

ScottGrush
4 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

I will say this. I have generally liked every place I've worked at as an Engineer but I haven't always liked who I work for.

People don't leave jobs they leave people. 

steveziv

To one of the OP's original points.  While attending college I worked 5 summers as a charter captain on Lake Erie, mostly walleye fishing.  It was a great job that paid well for a young man but there were still cold, rainy days and hot, buggy days and days when my crew were jerks and days when I was tired or hungover and days when I would have rather been on the beach or in town.  And then there was the business side of thing that I had to deal with.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't miserable but it did become routine and "work".  I like to fish and be out on the water but there are lots of guys out there who are obsessive about it, maybe its their dream job.

Since then I've worked in sales from home, which I've come to realize is a pretty sweet set up.  My current set up being the sweetest yet.  I worked in an office environment for a couple years.  It was an exceptionally bad situation and it was soul crushing.

RuffChaser
7 minutes ago, ScottGrush said:

People don't leave jobs they leave people. 

I absolutely agree with this. As I've gotten older I tolerate it more but speak about it more as well. Well, maybe I'm just smarter about how I speak up or phrase things differently. I know I use the word asinine a little less. I'm guessing one day I'll probably get fired for my mouth but if it comes to that I'll probably be OK with it because it means I probably should have left on my own by that point😊

john mcg

For many years while working for myself as a builder/remodeler guy, during hunting and fishing season it was easy for me to schedule around any trips and to take off early to hit local covers. I was fortunate to have plenty of them within an hour or so.

The real close ones were dear to me. I wouldn't shoot a lot of birds as they became kind of friends, but it was great to be able to spend so much time with my dogs.

I got to know the magic hour pretty well.

🙂

If you love what you do for a living, you never have to work a day in your life. After years of service calls in the middle of the night and humping cast iron body compressors, I work for a manufacture and all I do now is tell folks what they need to do to make it work. So, yes, I love my job.