Who loves their job?

bennelli-banger
26 minutes ago, Dick Sellers said:

My career as a wildlife biologist had some rough going early on, but my final 25 years with the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game were the stuff dreams are made of.

If you haven't before, many of us would probably love to read bits and pieces of that quarter century!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• Dick Sellers

• Zoli 16ga.

• Tim Frazier

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the trick to contentment is not to be defined by what you do for a living. If what you do is who you are, your not going to be very happy when you retire.  Do your job, take the money, go home

Work is a four letter word.  Some of you guys have watched me post on this board for 15 years or more, I'm a ruffed grouse honk and not apologetic about it one bit.  I just left a job at the

I will advise my children to stay away from corporate america.  It is soul sucking, and takes from you much more than it gives.  While I am good at this, its not something that "means" anything in a b

Posted Images

1971snipe

I graduated with chemistry/environmental science degrees in '75 and spent the next 40 years in industry/corporate life.  I wish I'd kept a journal, I could easily write a book.  I was blessed, and loved what I did, but was very ready to retire when I did.  I'd go back if I could, and would only do a few things different.  

Jacquidog

I spent almost 50 years working as a tool/ die maker and then as a designer.  All good, especially working with/ teaching new people.  The trade was always moving forward, started with old belt driven machinery and evolved into CNC WEDM.  My employers were always straight shooters, as were the majority of the associates I worked with.

gaberdeen

My job as an RN for the last 25 yrs has had its ups and downs. There are some things I like about it such as self scheduling so if I need a day off I just don’t put myself on. Pretty good amount of vacation time. Things I don’t like being short staffed all the time, patient loads increasing every year due to budget crunches/ corporate bottom line. Working 12 hr night shifts for the better part of 20 yrs( and day shift is even worse). Bottom line is it’s a means to an end and pays the bills. 

I was a corporate accountant for38 years . I love being retired. Nuf said

WPG Gizmo

I do what I do as it pays the bills I dont like nor hate the job but there are some people I would not mind running over they are the ones that mess up a good job. 

But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel it gets closer each passing day.

I took this job knowing that the money was not going to be that great but the benefits were beyond compare one thing I have recently found out is that they will include my military service in my retirement package that is a huge plus.

I look at the kids today they have no concept of staying with a job long term the sons GF works for the Town Planning Dept she graduated same as he did 5 years ago and has had 4 different jobs in 4 different towns. 

Don Steese

I know people who've had several jobs since I've known them and complained about every one. Their boss and co- workers were always jerks who didn't know what they were doing etc. etc. I'm tempted to tell them they need to look in the mirror. I also agree that far too many people are defined by their job. If you're constantly dwelling on work related stuff, you have a pretty empty life. 

erik meade
6 hours ago, walt lister said:

Two great jobs, first, 14 years at North American Rockwell working on various airplane, Apollo capsule and Saturn rocket tooling.

My grandfather spent his entire career - as a apprentice out of high school, right until retirement in 1988 with Rockwell.  Most of it as a machinist at Rocky Flats.

erik meade
6 hours ago, Flairball said:

Currently I am getting my crew accustomed to enjoying a little freedom from the firehouse while working.

At my brother's old house in a Denver suburb, the fire house was across the street from his back yard fence.  They had a huge grill constantly going and neighbors, including my brother would bring their food over to cook in the evenings instead of firing up their own grills. It was great. Got to know the neighbors and he got to know the firemen. 

At a wedding I was telling my wife's cousin, who is a fire fighter in Kansas City, about that. He said it would never fly with his department.  They are not supposed to be outside in uniform unless they were cleaning the trucks or looked like they were being productive. He said the attitude was that taxpayers don't want to think they are paying for someone to just sit around.   It was quite a contrasting philosophy.

I do  ! ......... I just can't get used to it.

FlyChamps

After 44 years in the CPA business, the last 34 self-employed, I must say I enjoy my "job" (it's really much more than a job) but the end is coming.  At 71 I've decided that the time for me to retire has arrived and will be doing so at the end of this year.  

I'm quite sure that I'll be able to keep myself busy fly-fishing, shooting, hunting, traveling, etc. for the rest of my life but I will miss assisting my clients in the future - I have several grandparent, parent, grandchildren client groups I work for and other clients who are almost family.  We'll stay in touch but it won't be the same relationship as being their CPA.

Now it's off to a 3 day weekend with our Vintager group at Back Woods Quail Club in Georgetown, SC - tax work postponed until Monday.

12 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I never could understand how anyone could get up every morning ( in my case 4:00 AM) and go to a job they didn't like. I know money and benefits play a role but fear of the unknown also plays a big part of why people stay in jobs they hate. I looked forward to going to work every day.  If some fool with more money than brains hadn't come along I'd probably still be doing it!

I do it, since 1998 

Kansas Big Dog

After graduating with a degree in accounting, I went to work for a small electric utility company. Worked in the general office accounting dept 2 months and got promoted to a district accountant responsible for all the accounting functions in a local office. At 25 years old I supervised 25 people in 4 offices. They were all older than me. After 3 more promotions and transfers, they were paying my way through an executive MBA program. That all ended when the president of the company passed away and a new management team took over. The new team layed off 30 managers such as myself (all white males) and I never went back to Corp life. Had small business and was a stay at home dad after that.

Steve Hunts

Love my job. Hate the lousy pay though.

ccavacini

Taught high school English for forty years, coached football for 28.  Loved it.  Never had two bad days in a row.  No two days were alike.

I went from teaching senior comp to teaching freshmen at our Freshman Academy my last ten years.  Frosh are goofier than hell, but I had a blast.  

Still in contact (on Facebook) with many former students and players.

Retired in 2011.  I know this. I'll never wake up one day, look in the mirror, and ask what I've done with my life.