Who loves their job?

bennelli-banger
13 hours ago, nutmeg grouser said:

Been blessed for the passed 30 years. Was a hack framer for my younger years. Worked hard and long hours and loved it. One day in a February with a Nor- Eastern bearing down on us a builder asked us to get a roof sheathed before the snow hit. He had been good to us,me and my bro, so we hammered it out with sleet , ice and snow flying while we were running around on the roof of a walk out basement home.Got it done by noon and he paid us for the whole day with a little bonus that was appreciated. We went to our nearest watering hole. At the time my wife was 6 months pregnant with our first child. I was 29 and I never thought about this in the past but all i thought about on that roof was becoming a statistic.

Behind the bar we went to was a friend who was there on a part time basis. Out of casual conversation he happened to ask me if I would be interested in a sales job as his other job was working at a masonry supply yard and they were looking for another sales guy.  I said yes and he arranged the interview. I immediately got the job. It started as a small salary to get me going and then turn into 100% commission. Daunting to say the least but I put my nose to the grind stone and all worked out. I got off of the small salary within 6 months and the 100% commission kicked in and I loved the job beyond belief. I did well and eventually my buddy and I sold out he companies manufacturing capabilities. I found myself doing well and some time on my hands. The housing market was good back then so we , we being my wife and i, decided to build some houses. She had a full time job so I would look for land and get them built as a GC and do my sales job as well. I loved it. Kids, now 2 of them, were young. I worked  mornings,day and evening selling and building. Absolutely loved it. 12-14 hour days - fantaaaastic! Fun stuff. This thread brought back this memories. I remember my wife at dinner one night saying to me, " most people hate their job. You have 2 that you love. That's not fair! I All I remember is saying yes i do.

She was right. I remember letting it soak in. I couldn't understand not loving my job(s). I was /am lucky to have had those years in my life.

uplifting post!  thanks!:D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bennelli-banger

• Dick Sellers

• Zoli 16ga.

• Tim Frazier

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the trick to contentment is not to be defined by what you do for a living. If what you do is who you are, your not going to be very happy when you retire.  Do your job, take the money, go home

Work is a four letter word.  Some of you guys have watched me post on this board for 15 years or more, I'm a ruffed grouse honk and not apologetic about it one bit.  I just left a job at the

I will advise my children to stay away from corporate america.  It is soul sucking, and takes from you much more than it gives.  While I am good at this, its not something that "means" anything in a b

Posted Images

bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, spring said:

For many people their faith, family, and their health are the most important things in their lives. Every day, the work I do influences these things; for my clients, who are also my friends.  Helping kids go to college, retire gracefully, and often, young families move into their first home. Helping businesses get started, sold, or transitioned to the next generation is special, while helping charities accomplish their goals of helping neighbors and communities, in part, because of the work that I do. I get invited to weddings, graduations, and also funerals. Holding a client's hand as they consider their next chapter can be tough, but it's part of being a friend. I've helped people shoulder the burden, and the joy, of dealing with an older mom and dad.  I try to make complicated things clear so people can understand them, and I do a lot of listening. Hearing of problems and finding solutions is what I get to do every day.  People need someone to put their interests first, and for many people, that someone is me. Helping people live the life they want, and in some cases, one that was only a dream, is rewarding. 

That's why I love my job....  🙂

well stated...I think we have the same job, basically...I just signed a contract yesterday to transition my business to a terrific, young Financial Advisor in my office...the transition can be as short as 1 year, or as long as 5...there is an additional financial incentive paid by our employer if I stay 3 years, which is my plan...that will go quickly...been doing this for 31 years as of May, 34 years when the expected "walk out the door" date arrives in 2023.  Very satisfying job, certainly some negatives, but really not sure what else I would have done...always had an interest in $...making it, saving it, investing it...spending it, too...don't know that I'm really skilled at anything in particular, but I do  feel like I connect with people very quickly and create trust...never met my biological father until I was 51 (a couple years ago)...learned shortly before I met him that he did one thing career-wise....Financial Advisor for 36 years...ironically, I have several coworkers that know him, worked for him (he was a branch manager as well for about half that time), or know him socially...small world, funny chit...

2 hours ago, bennelli-banger said:

well stated...I think we have the same job, basically...I just signed a contract yesterday to transition my business to a terrific, young Financial Advisor in my office...the transition can be as short as 1 year, or as long as 5...there is an additional financial incentive paid by our employer if I stay 3 years, which is my plan...that will go quickly...been doing this for 31 years as of May, 34 years when the expected "walk out the door" date arrives in 2023.  Very satisfying job, certainly some negatives, but really not sure what else I would have done...always had an interest in $...making it, saving it, investing it...spending it, too...don't know that I'm really skilled at anything in particular, but I do  feel like I connect with people very quickly and create trust...never met my biological father until I was 51 (a couple years ago)...learned shortly before I met him that he did one thing career-wise....Financial Advisor for 36 years...ironically, I have several coworkers that know him, worked for him (he was a branch manager as well for about half that time), or know him socially...small world, funny chit...

A good idea to have a transition plan in place. I brought my son in 10 years ago and he's exceptional at all this.  Definitely the "new and improved" version of me!  He got his CFP in the months following college and clients love him.  

I've been the Branch Manager at a major firm, but we started a new firm that retained all of the resources of our large one while gaining the efficiency of  local business decisions. It is a dramatically better business model as it cuts out the corporate bureaucracy and leaves the truly fun part of focusing on clients and relationships. It's simply a blast to come to work to every day!  

Quite a story about your dad; unfortunate that you haven't known him longer, but even as things worked out, I'm sure he's very proud of you. 

I would say I have days that I truly enjoy my job. Lately I think alot more about the dangers of what I do than I use to. I can't really say its age as I'm only 31. I think having children  caused it. I'm a journeyman lineman, working with high voltage electricity every day (up to 19,900 volts). The money is great and the benefits are awsome so I cant complain. 

I like my job.  Never aspired to love it, never will.  

I used to like my job. Now my new job is...….tough. I'm basically taking on hell with a bucket of water, it doesn't seem like I'll win but I just keep fighting until I finally loose and have to move on or by some miracle I win.

My daughter is 14 and just trying to figure out what her career will be...…..my advice has been very generic so far, mostly discussing what she wants and how to get it. (money) She doesn't love school but she is plenty smart. She is an engineer in her head and I hope she goes that direction in some way.

I would like to revise my answer.

My job is fine but I kinda like the paycheck.

Saw a bumper sticker once that read "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I really just wanted a paycheck."

There are much worse careers to have than mine.....no regrets.

Wisconsin

Tim,

You said and asked, "If I found a second career, that I loved doing every day,   I might not need to retire. So who LOVES what they do?"

My reply,

I'm retired. But not out of a job. Get up at every day at my leisure, without an alarm clock and go to "work". Retired a hundred yards from home to a pension financed boarding/breeding gun dog kennel with a large office to write whenever the mood strikes. 

Planning to continue "working" here until the day I die. As I envision, the move from here to the hereafter will be an uneventful transition. 

I love what I do.

Ken

kennel.jpg

kennel1.JPG

kennel2.JPG

Stage technician for SF Ballet and SF Opera since 1982. Beautiful Dancers, music, scenery and changing shows almost daily and I'm well paid. Short fall is many days I leave home at 6 am and return as late as 11:00 pm. Positive is my boss takes care of me. Walked up to him and said " having vision problems Ken can't see myself working till 6 pm" his response was "see ya at 8 am Charles, say hello to Irene" And paid me for the whole day.

Dick Sellers

Sort of like Ken's post above, I could write a book about my last job, but I don't know enough words.  For the last 22 years of my career with ADF&G, I was the biologist for the area from Lake Clark out to the Aleutian Islands.  The game animals most important (from an economic standpoint) were brown bears, caribou and moose.  Caribou were the most important as a subsistence resource (though well below salmon - which were in other biologists' realm), but brown bears were the highest profile species with an annual harvest of over 300 per year.  During the last several years of my time, we conducted 2 very large studies to compare the population dynamics of a protected (unhunted) population in Katmai National Park with a hunted population further down the peninsula near Chignik. These results were paired with similar studies in interior Alaska (protected population in Denali National Park and hunted in the Susitna region).  Results from these paired studies were published to refute claims that regulated hunting was very disruptive to brown bear population dynamics.  During the very end of my tenure we tried a new "capture/recapture" survey technique to census brown bears on the whole Alaska Peninsula.  Below is a map of relocations of radio collared bears in the hunted Chignik area.

284282232_Picture083-001.thumb.jpg.df0048da6eb9338c560b6efb4c13f2db.jpg

Wisconsin
7 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

Sort of like Ken's post above, I could write a book about my last job, but I don't know enough words.  For the last 22 years of my career with ADF&G, I was the biologist for the area from Lake Clark out to the Aleutian Islands.  The game animals most important (from an economic standpoint) were brown bears, caribou and moose.  Caribou were the most important as a subsistence resource (though well below salmon - which were in other biologists' realm), but brown bears were the highest profile species with an annual harvest of over 300 per year.  During the last several years of my time, we conducted 2 very large studies to compare the population dynamics of a protected (unhunted) population in Katmai National Park with a hunted population further down the peninsula near Chignik. These results were paired with similar studies in interior Alaska (protected population in Denali National Park and hunted in the Susitna region).  Results from these paired studies were published to refute claims that regulated hunting was very disruptive to brown bear population dynamics.  During the very end of my tenure we tried a new "capture/recapture" survey technique to census brown bears on the whole Alaska Peninsula.  Below is a map of relocations of radio collared bears in the hunted Chignik area.

284282232_Picture083-001.thumb.jpg.df0048da6eb9338c560b6efb4c13f2db.jpg

Dick,

Was your study area anywhere near Dutch Harbor?

Ken

Dick Sellers

Ken, no - all my work was on the mainland out the Alaska Peninsula and Unimak Island - the first of the Aleutian Islands which is very close to the end of the mainland. 

23 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

I'm retired. But not out of a job. Get up at every day at my leisure, without an alarm clock and go to "work".

I love what I do.

Ken

Nailed it Ken.
My goal is MTHGA 2020 (Make This House Great Again)
Love where we live!

Steve Hunts

Love the way you retired guys chime in about how you love your "jobs". Not much for reading comprehension.  😆

Retirement is not a job. In fact, it's the exact opposite by definition.

Now you can go back to whatever it was you were doing while NOT at work.

*Maybe we need a separate sub-forum entitled "Retired Guys". There you can read about how great being retired is, how long you slept in today, new yoga moves you've mastered, the many wonders of Spam,etc.