REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Is color THAT important

Brad Eden

I was kidding around. Sometimes I get sick of adding emojis. 

stripersonfly

I will certainly compromise on color for $5k-$6K in savings.  There are some colors out there that I could not stand, but red is not one of them.  Some of the lime green and orange vehicles I have seen would be tough for me to take.   Almost all of my autos have been low mileage used vehicles so it usually has been finding the trim level/features I want and be flexible about color.   I have always targeted a silver car, but the last 3 times I have take a candy apple red, and then two blacks autos. 

kgb
1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

This is the red

Red F150.PNG

That'd go over huge here in Nebraska.  

Bullwinkle

Every other farmer around here has a red truck.. You wouldn't stand out

Clueless1
10 hours ago, steveziv said:

There are some good looking reds out there these days so if it was one of those, sure I take the red truck and the $6K savings.

There are some pretty hideous greens and oranges and flesh tone vehicles out there too, and I simply wouldn't consider driving them.

So if it looks OK but just isn't your usual preference, go for it.  If its going to make you nauseous every time you look in your driveway then, no.

If someone gave you a life's supply of free clown shoes would you wear them?  I didn't think so.

If they added $6k as a 'bonus' for wearin em they'd be calling me Krusty here at work. 

WI Outdoor Nut
3 minutes ago, kgb said:

That'd go over huge here in Nebraska.  

I bet!  Down in Madison area in WI as well. 

WI Outdoor Nut
14 minutes ago, max2 said:

Who pays attention ? Nobody gives a Sh**.   I don't think the color is that offensive to be honest........ and guess what nobody cares.

Now if your second guessing it . That's  the fly in the ointment for me.  Could be something else telling you don't buy ? But right now you just can't put your finger on it. It will float to the top give it a couple days before pulling the trigger( pun intended) 

JMHO ~ from my own past personal experiences .  

Appreciate your POV and thinking to myself, these are the real first world problems. 

max2
2 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Appreciate your POV and thinking to myself, these are the real first world problems. 

Around here I have heard tale that some of the locals call me "Old Man Chris"  they don't call me that for nothing.....

casts_by_fly

When shopping for my last truck I was flexible in color since I wanted a particular spec. However I couldn’t bring myself to consider the awful white with gold bottom ram. I just couldn’t have done it. 

rick

bigdog MN

On a used truck I have ignored color. For a new truck I think it would matter. 

If I had to get a new vehicle and it was a $6-7 issue, color likely would no longer matter. But if I could, I would likely put off the purchase.

This coming from a middle aged guy that has only once in his life, over 20 years ago, purchased a new vehicle. Still have it too.

Hub

I got a smoking deal on a reddish maroon F-150 just out of college.  I absolutely hated the paint job.  Every time I squeezed it down some logging road every scratch (red neck pin striping) stuck out like a sore thumb.   After that experience I have bought all silver trucks.  Water spots, scratches and the types of things that just go hand in hand with being a sportsman show up a lot less on silver or white.  I just bought a 2019 F-150 last year.  It was the exact color and configuration as the one before it.  I opted for the 3.5 with e-lockers and a the tow package.  It's a heck of a truck.  The torque to weight ratio took a little getting used to.  You will break the back end loose if you stomp on it even if you are already going 30.  To me the right color is worth it.  I would also never buy a truck with painted bumpers.  I do a lot of driving on gravel and dirt roads, but when I get home I shine it up so it looks like it just rolled off the lot.

Cheesy

For $6k I’ll let the dealer choose my color. 

I also bought a new red z71 in 2003. I liked it. 

jeff88

Couple of things to think about with bright red:

1.  It is a police magnet.  We had a Guards Red Porsche, that is their bright red, it is very noticeable

2.  Bright red, unlike any other red shade or any color, oxidizes faster.  If you keep it exposed all the time, the paint will be fading inside of 7 years.  For some reason, metallic silver seems to stay intact the longest.  

Color is important to me but not the main thing.  I'm more interested in the interior color - I don't want black.  Problem is, many exterior colors that I like come only with black so it lessens my choices.  Also, some types of vehicles wear colors better - to me a truck is best if it's green, blue, silver or brown.  OTOH, that red color on the Ford is really nice!  If you go that route I advise waxing it 3-4x a year to defend against UV rays.  Some waxes are really good with paint protection.  

Not sure if Ford still has this color but my favorite truck/SUV color today is that copper brown Explorer on the right, wonder if they come with a saddle brown interior?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+canyon+ridge+color&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ACYBGNSqwPap_XsFE4SDVNMKxSqJ2MunRg:1579190068286&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=am1UlKq8qHM9NM%3A%2Cn53ol5CoXGi6yM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQhSbrrf7dslHvwfwcMmZ3CQcR0ZQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU7rW4vYjnAhUKnawKHYRSA6kQ9QEwCHoECAgQCA#imgdii=uW2QGuB_yJIAmM:&imgrc=am1UlKq8qHM9NM:&vet=1

RuffChaser

I follow the Henry Ford line of thinking - any color you want as long as it's black. That being said my wife doesn't like black. We have a burgundy GMC Sierra. I bought it used and it had everything I wanted in a truck including the topper. I was OK with that but would have preferred it be black.

kgb
48 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Couple of things to think about with bright red:

1.  It is a police magnet.  We had a Guards Red Porsche, that is their bright red, it is very noticeable

2.  Bright red, unlike any other red shade or any color, oxidizes faster.  If you keep it exposed all the time, the paint will be fading inside of 7 years.  For some reason, metallic silver seems to stay intact the longest.  

Color is important to me but not the main thing.  I'm more interested in the interior color - I don't want black.  Problem is, many exterior colors that I like come only with black so it lessens my choices.  Also, some types of vehicles wear colors better - to me a truck is best if it's green, blue, silver or brown.  OTOH, that red color on the Ford is really nice!  If you go that route I advise waxing it 3-4x a year to defend against UV rays.  Some waxes are really good with paint protection.  

Not sure if Ford still has this color but my favorite truck/SUV color today is that copper brown Explorer on the right, wonder if they come with a saddle brown interior?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+canyon+ridge+color&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS836US836&sxsrf=ACYBGNSqwPap_XsFE4SDVNMKxSqJ2MunRg:1579190068286&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=am1UlKq8qHM9NM%3A%2Cn53ol5CoXGi6yM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQhSbrrf7dslHvwfwcMmZ3CQcR0ZQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU7rW4vYjnAhUKnawKHYRSA6kQ9QEwCHoECAgQCA#imgdii=uW2QGuB_yJIAmM:&imgrc=am1UlKq8qHM9NM:&vet=1

Around here, teenaged drivers are the police magnets no matter the color of their automobile.  I asked a cop about my observations and he confirmed it.  

I do not wax vehicles, a perfectly serviceable finish was the manufacturer's responsibility.  Wife's car is garaged, my '03-built Dakota lives in the driveway and they got that paint right as it's still in great shape.  Except where it's rusting.

Not a fan of black interiors either, add to that I wouldn't want white.

Metallic exterior colors seem about right for trucks, a friend took a lot of crap from people when he bought a copper colored Ranger near the end of their production run, I thought it was a pretty truck.