Jump to content

2020 Pheasant Fest Minneapolis


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • bigjohnsd

    7

  • grouse28

    5

  • robp

    5

  • Dave Erickson

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A UJ Ad Sponsor/Member cockerfan will be there.

Hank will be there?  I’ll have to swing by and say hi.  I brought a smoked wild turkey, pheasant, and venison chili (clean out the freezer) to a dinner party a few years ago and he loved it.  He gave

Alot of vendors same old same old. I will be there because it's in my back yard and I can get pass from one of my buddies in the industry. I like b'sing with vendors and Hank Shaw. Also it's cold here

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Larry Brown said:

I remember that, but I don't remember the specific gun.  Do you still have it?  I always try to take all the misses out before I trade or sell a gun. 

 

I've been to them in Des Moines, the Twin Cities, Madison, Omaha . . . did a seminar or two for them years ago.  Living in central Iowa, all of those were reasonable driving distances.  Nothing against Pheasant Fest.  But if it were more than a 10 hour drive, I think I'd look for a preserve somewhere warmer and chase birds.

 

It was one gun from a matched pair of Arrieta 20s. Actually I believe it was the #2 gun. No, I don't have it anymore. I went through quite a few guns years ago before I settled on Beretta Silver Pigeon V O/Us. I had an AyA rounded action 12, that Arrieta, some Brownings, Fanchi's, ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jdligon said:

We should coordinate a UJ pint night 

There are couple nice pubs within a half mile walk of the convention center.  'The Local' is an Irish bar and 'Brits Pub' is an English style pub.  Both have decent food.  Pheasant Fest runs 9am-6pm on Saturday Feb 15th.  If we can get some interest and a rough head count I'll put a reservation in.  Maybe 5 or 6 pm on Friday?    

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been and would go...it is in my back yard but, anniversary weekend so, I'm thinking the wife will have other ideas. I've liked them in the past, but probably not a 20 hr. drive "like".

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Anyone going? Anyone been there?

Worth a 20 hr. road trip?

 

I’ve been to 3 of them, 2 of them out of state. I wouldn’t drive more than 90 minutes for one in the future and I’m always open for a road trip. 
 

There are no seminars on, of all things, pheasant hunting. Some of the fine exhibitors include Cutco Knives, Edge Bowfishing (taking up three booths), JD’s Salsa in Seconds, Leaf Filter gutters, Anderson Windows, Massaging Insoles, etc,etc. Plenty of game farms as well, which I find very ironic. 
 

IMO it has become a convention put on to keep the corporate sponsors happy and an opportunity to hold their annual business meeting. If you are an experienced hunter expecting to learn new info or find products not easily seen at local retail stores or on the web you’ll be disappointed. That’s not the real purpose of this event. 
 

I was in and out in roughly 2 hours last year, including 2 passes around the floor and 20 minutes spent talking with folks I knew. 

They will draw lots of people as it’s Minnesota in February. 
 

JMO,

Dave

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Quindt said:

I’ve been to 3 of them, 2 of them out of state. I wouldn’t drive more than 90 minutes for one in the future and I’m always open for a road trip. 
 

There are no seminars on, of all things, pheasant hunting. Some of the fine exhibitors include Cutco Knives, Edge Bowfishing (taking up three booths), JD’s Salsa in Seconds, Leaf Filter gutters, Anderson Windows, Massaging Insoles, etc,etc. Plenty of game farms as well, which I find very ironic. 
 

IMO it has become a convention put on to keep the corporate sponsors happy and an opportunity to hold their annual business meeting. If you are an experienced hunter expecting to learn new info or find products not easily seen at local retail stores or on the web you’ll be disappointed. That’s not the real purpose of this event. 
 

I was in and out in roughly 2 hours last year, including 2 passes around the floor and 20 minutes spent talking with folks I knew. 

They will draw lots of people as it’s Minnesota in February. 
 

JMO,

Dave

 

Dave has some good points here.  I like attending, but it's for 3-4 hours and it's at most a 30 minute drive for me to get there.  I wouldn't do any significant traveling to attend.  I have been going to them since they had the first one in 2002 in a Bloomington, MN hotel.  Strangely enough the first ones that were pretty sparsely attended were my favorite.  The only folks that had booths or showed up were pretty hardcore upland folks and it was mostly seminars etc.  Now days it has become more like a traditional sportsman show.  I always feel like I get my money out just sitting down in the open forums with a crew of some of the most seasoned dog trainers on the planet and asking questions etc.  I distinctly remember sitting in the RGS booth and getting my first real look into how to use google earth to identify grouse cover.  That was a game changer.  Any time you put that many serious bird hunters in a building there is going to be something to learn if you are open to hearing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hub said:

  I always feel like I get my money out just sitting down in the open forums with a crew of some of the most seasoned dog trainers on the planet and asking questions etc.  

Funny that you mentioned the dog training seminars as that's one things that IMO is the most lacking.  They are not bringing in the most experienced folks who are actively training dogs; they bring in the Purina reps and the Sport Dog reps. It's the same stale content year over year. But to be honest, the best in the business are all down south for winter camp that time of year anyway.

 

Quote

I distinctly remember sitting in the RGS booth and getting my first real look into how to use google earth to identify grouse cover. 

That's great.  Why isn't PF holding a seminar like that?  There's a big focus on landowner habitat development, which is fine but I wonder how many people coming through the door fall into that category?  Ill-fitting guns are a problem for many; why isn't there a gun-fitting booth where someone could get a basic fitting and eye dominance check?  It just strikes me weird that at the PF convention there's seminars on all sorts of things, including CWD in deer, but no seminars in actual pheasant hunting.  It's been a while since I've been to one of the Deer & Turkey expos but years ago they were filled with seminars on actual deer hunting, and not pheasant hunting.

 

When I attended last year's show I asked myself as I was walking in "if I was a new bird hunter what would I get from this event"; I didn't find much to answer that question, to be honest.

 

It is what it is; it's a convention of national staff, chapter leaders, sponsors and media.  Ticket sales generates revenue for PF to fund it.  But it's not designed for the average pheasant hunter to improve their abilities or knowledge.

 

JMO,

Dave

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sat on our local PF Board for many years and have attended a few Pheasant Fests. I enjoyed the seminars and the booths for the various dog breeders. It is primarily an outdoors sales convention.  But that interests me.  Always interested in new innovations and ideas. And the bison chili is pretty awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Erickson

My sister in law lives in downtown Minneapolis, so maybe I can have a couple and flop there. Let us not forget to factor-in cabin fever!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

Let us not forget to factor-in cabin fever!

 

True, true!

 

47 minutes ago, GSPpurist said:

When are they going to be on the West Coast.  Spokane has a few places to through the event!!

 

They didn't get to South Dakota until 2018. Could be a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

 

It was one gun from a matched pair of Arrieta 20s. Actually I believe it was the #2 gun. No, I don't have it anymore. I went through quite a few guns years ago before I settled on Beretta Silver Pigeon V O/Us. I had an AyA rounded action 12, that Arrieta, some Brownings, Fanchi's, ...

I remember those guns.  Sold/traded them separately.  Eventually found a buyer for the case as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...