Wild Turkey Schnitzel

IMG_1340.JPG

UJ Member and good friend Mike Stenstrom put together a wild turkey schnitzel when we were deer hunting out of my camp last fall. I decided to give it a go last night. 

I pretty much winged it with recipe and used what a I had on hand, so probably not a traditional schnitzel recipe.

-Took one breast from a fall Jake and pounded it out to tenderize and cut into pieces.

-Mixed regular flour, Italian bread crumbs, paprika, garlic powder, parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

-Beat two eggs with about a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and splash of milk.

-Heated a good half cup+- of vegetable oil with a tablespoon or so of crushed garlic in a pan.

-Dredged turkey in egg mixture and then bread crumb mix and fried on both sides til nicely browned.

-Served with mashed potato and garden salad.

No complaints from the front desk.

Looks great! Might try that with a hen I have from last fall. The dark meat is going into enchiladas along with Pheasant thighs.

Place breast filet between two pieces of seran wrap or wax paper before you swing the hammer or coke bottle or whatever you use to tenderize.  If you don't you will quickly understand why you should have...SelbyLowndes

22 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Place breast filet between two pieces of seran wrap or wax paper before you swing the hammer or coke bottle or whatever you use to tenderize.  If you don't you will quickly understand why you should have...SelbyLowndes

I used seran wrap.

8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_1340.JPG

UJ Member and good friend Mike Stenstrom put together a wild turkey schnitzel when we were deer hunting out of my camp last fall. I decided to give it a go last night. 

I pretty much winged it with recipe and used what a I had on hand, so probably not a traditional schnitzel recipe.

-Took one breast from a fall Jake and pounded it out to tenderize and cut into pieces.

-Mixed regular flour, Italian bread crumbs, paprika, garlic powder, parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

-Heated a good half cup+- of vegetable oil with a tablespoon or so of crushed garlic in a pan.

-Dredged turkey in egg mixture and then bread crumb mix and fried on both sides til nicely browned.

Made a lot of Stitzel in my time, mostly from pork loin, your process is as good as any.  I like a lighter covering on the meat especially when using fowl, so I put the meat in seasoned flour and then the egg-wash and then the oil.  Grouse and pheasant breast is done this way pretty much every time.   I like to add a little parmesan cheese and milk to the eggs.  The key is to cut the pcs of meat even, that way one side is not over done or under done.

Barna   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_1340.JPG

Sounds great Brad. I was Watching Meateater on the outdoor channel and Steve Rinella said to dredge in flour first as it gives the egg something to stick to. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, paul frey said:

Sounds great Brad. I was Watching Meateater on the outdoor channel and Steve Rinella said to dredge in flour first as it gives the egg something to stick to. Makes sense.

Makes sense. This worked pretty good though. I think dredge in four, then egg, then flour again might be the best bet.

• 10 months later...

865E5D40-5FC5-4C95-AEAA-FD10B9D12116.jpeg

Went and did it again...pounded out and tenderized Wild Turkey schnitzel...yum. 

That definitely looks tasty! Looks like a meal I made with pheasant breast a few weeks ago. I did make a gravy for the spuds with the pan drippings.

I do it with pheasant breast, just about the same process, however, I roll the flattened breast in seasoned flour, dip in egg and then in Panko crumbs