REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OutlawTorn

What do you do?

browndog
What I do is inconsequential.

I have recently dedicated my remaining miserable existence to the investigation into exactly HOW Jim McCann manged to steal my life.

now that there's funny ..  :D  :D

and how did you manage to steal my "line"?

sdgord

I sell boats from mid Jan to the middle of August.Then I try to get the dogs in shape for hunt tests field trials and their true job, keeping us all safe from marauding game birds.

If I could convince my wife to get a part time job I could quit the boat gig. Although she has told anyone that will listen that in thirty two years of marriage I have only had a real job for about five years. She has a somewhat limited view of what constitutes a real job. SDGORD

calgaryrookie

I work for a large Canadian company that owns and operates gas and oil pipelines and powerplants throughout Canada, the US, and Mexico. I am in Human Resources and handle acquisitions. That means I help kick the tires when we are considering buying a company, and help negotiate the deal and integrate the new employees when we do purchase.

Right now I'm working on the final stages of a deal that will result in the purchase of a power plant that will have us be the largest electricity producer in New York City. Been there 4 times in the last 6 months. I do love the travel in my job.

bntsetter

Work in a viral immunology research lab -  People are great and it was the first job I got coming out of college - Other perk is that it is a state job so -  I'm a state employee with all the benefits i.e. become Roy when I turn 50 (25 years in state service)....

Keith

I'm a bartender. Been working a bar most of my life. Started as a bouncer and just moved my way up the old fashioned way until I was managing. I did take about 6yrs off for a while. Did some repo work and managed a small motel, worked in a gas station, but I missed the bar. It's nice just being a bartender again.

calgaryrookie
I sell boats from mid Jan to the middle of August.Then I try to get the dogs in shape for hunt tests field trials and their true job, keeping us all safe from marauding game birds.

If I could convince my wife to get a part time job I could quit the boat gig. Although she has told anyone that will listen that in thirty two years of marriage I have only had a real job for about five years. She has a somewhat limited view of what constitutes a real job. SDGORD

You live my dream!!!! Work at something I like 8 months a year (boats are cool) and work at something I love the rest!

Rex Hoppie
Raise the big $$ for a private college.

Commissions?

Tango2

An officer in the Cdn Navy....and am just hitting 25 yrs.

Joined as a young fella and spent the first few yrs being a radioman (ie. Morse code & all that stuff) followed by a scholarship to a Cdn Military College. Following grad, I spent the next number of yrs navigating warships around the world and am now at a stage now where I'm pretty well out of the "warship game" and now doing some static jobs as well as various UN missions all over the world.  

Even after 25 yrs, I still can't wait to get to work each morning.

During one of my/our postings in Canada, I (..with another fellow bird hunter/fanatic) was able to get perimission fm the Cdn Military Base we were on to start a pheasant preserve/hunting operation....where I/we quickly learned that you don't do things like that (ie. it was a pure wknd venture/hobby for about 3 yrs) unless you truly love just being around birds, dogs and bird hunters.  After you factor in all the work in running the preserve, raising birds, planting, guiding, etc., etc., you need to see the renumeration in things like meeting new friends, sharing laughs/experiences with fellow bird hunters, etc.  In fact, many nights, I would just go down to our pheasant pens and watch the pheasants...that was pay enough.

Can retire anytime now but we can't decide how we'll split our time...between our villa in France, our cabin in Alaska, or our log home in B.C.  Nah, too many decisions, I'll just keep working and keep trying to pay some bills each month.

Cheers,

T2

Rex Hoppie
I kick rocks.

Jack L
Judge

tmoneysju

good evening, thought this would be a good topic for my first post on this board.  May as well introduce myself, I'm fairly new to hunting and dog training, I have a 1 year old brittany, a member of my local navhda chapter and having a blast so far.  As far as what I do, I work in IT Risk Mgmt. for a bank, I tend to see a lot of bouncing orange balls in my dreams if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot here as well as sharing what I can.

GANGGREEN

I'm constantly amazed at the interesting people on this board and their backgrounds.   In addition to being interesting characters, I've come to realize that there are some very smart dudes and dudettes on this board that really know their stuff, both in regards to dogs and hunting and in their chosen career fields.  

I haven't been around much of late so perhaps some of the newer members don't know my background.  I've worked as a wildlife conservation officer for 20+ years.  Though I love my job, there are times (they're becoming more frequent lately) that I look forward to retirement, which I'm hopeful will occur within 10 years.

I also spend a lot of time taking care of my "hobby farm" so I guess that qualifies as something that I do.  Presently, the only crops that I'm harvesting are a bit of hay and a few pumpkins for the kids to sell roadside but I have a small herd (presently 11 head) of beef cattle as well.  In the future I'd like to add fruit (the orchard is already started but has a long way to go), some chickens for the family meat/egg supply and perhaps a couple of hogs a year.  Work on the fields and the buildings is never ending, even though I'm only a hobby farmer and I could easily envision spending 40 hours a week working the land and caring for my animals.

Longrifle
Work on the fields and the buildings is never ending, even though I'm only a hobby farmer and I could easily envision spending 40 hours a week working the land and caring for my animals.

My old man used to say he had to have a job to support his farming habit.

Briarscratch

What's that old joke?

A farmer was asked what he'd do now that he hit the mega million..

"I guess I'll just keep on farming until the money runs out."

wcpeabody

Currently I am an Evil Consultant, IT.  I currently work in search technologies.  In the past I have worked a lot in the IT Security world.  It pays the bills.  

I do not really have something in mind I would rather do that could support my habits.

10 + years ago I worked in Water Quality & Monitoring, stream bed restoration and such.

As far as what I do, I work in IT Risk Mgmt. for a bank, I tend to see a lot of bouncing orange balls in my dreams if you know what I mean.

Welcome, my last job was with a start up specializing in Insider Threat, primarily within Banks.

And I have no idea what you mean with the orange balls unless you dream of basketball????