REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Keith

Garmin watches and Astro, Alpha etc compatibility?

Keith

Wondering which of the Garmin watches are compatible with the Garmin training/tracking collars. I know the Fenix is but I see several others out there for sale like the Forerunner, Epix, Vivoactive, etc

Wet Dog

I have the Instinct. There's a thread on here about them. 

airmedic1

I found this on the Garmin website

• D2 Bravo
  • D2 Charlie
  • D2 Delta series
  • Descent Mk1
  • fenix 3 series
  • fenix 5 series
  • fenix 6 series
  • fenix CHRONOS
  • Forerunner 935
  • Instinct
  • MARQ Series
  • Quatix 5
  • tactix Bravo
  • tactix Charlie
  • tactix Delta

Ridge Runner

The Alpha and Astro 320 and newer series, from personal experience, work well with the Vivoactive HR and the Vivoactive 3.    There are numerous Garmin watches and devices that work well with the Astro 320 & Alphas.  These watches get and display the data directly from the Astro 320 (and maybe later Astros) and Alphas, not from the dog collars direct.  

Below is a link to the Garmin site where a more complete list of compatible devices is found.  Think there are over 70 models and variants!   Many are very, very reasonably priced.  (Cheaper than most listed above in preceding post)   

After following the link below, directly under the watch shown, there are 3 tabs.  Select the "Compatible Devices" one and scroll down thru the complete list to view devices that work.  The list of watches above in the preceding post are ones I believe come preloaded with the official Garmin hookup app.  The other watches under the "Compatible devices" tab and not listed above need to use the FREE "Dog Tracker" app by Eric Kutter on the Garmin site below to hook up.  Actually, Eric had his apps up and running quite long before Garmin, as you can see by the older watches he has listed that do work, yet Garmin still won't acknowledge they will.  Gee imagine that.  (New ones are more $$$)  And, Eric gives fantastic support if and when any issues arise.  Eric is a very proficient Retired Programmer who continually keeps his apps updated, seemingly as Garmin throws him curves with their updates.  Simple, quick, painless, foolproof.  Work fantastic.  Gives direction, distance on the screens.  Multiple dogs compatible.  You can easily program alerts such as start & or stop movement alerts, perimeter or boundary/geofence type alarms, etc.  Wouldn't be without it.  Really makes the Astro/Alphas work to the fullest.  Now you can concentrate on the dog, any 2 legged companions, and just the overall experience rather than juggling a gun, a transmitter without alarms, and trying to watch where you are going.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/2b0019e1-38c9-4b51-9c02-f077cbc9227b

Just picked up a Garmin Vivoactive 3 last week on sale at Walmart for  $106.   Nice watch, well built ie. Gorilla Glass, waterproof, heart rate monitor, gps, fitness tracker, ...  Hooked right up to the Alpha after downloading the app.    No brainer.  Currently using an older Vivoactive HR for 2.5 years with no issues.  Bought from Garmin (Reconditioned) for $50 when I smashed the glass on its predecessor (No shame on watch, quite a hit.  Glad was on, bone might have smashed if not.).  You can leave the Astro/Alpha in your protected pocket if all you are doing is tracking.  No need for any case.  Couldn't pass this watch up, at that price.  They started over $300 when first came out.   So, now I have a backup for when the VA HR gives out.  

Keith

Ridge Runner.....thank you!! That's the info I was looking for!

Speaks
On 1/24/2020 at 7:19 PM, Ridge Runner said:

The Alpha and Astro 320 and newer series, from personal experience, work well with the Vivoactive HR and the Vivoactive 3.    There are numerous Garmin watches and devices that work well with the Astro 320 & Alphas.  These watches get and display the data directly from the Astro 320 (and maybe later Astros) and Alphas, not from the dog collars direct.  

Below is a link to the Garmin site where a more complete list of compatible devices is found.  Think there are over 70 models and variants!   Many are very, very reasonably priced.  (Cheaper than most listed above in preceding post)   

After following the link below, directly under the watch shown, there are 3 tabs.  Select the "Compatible Devices" one and scroll down thru the complete list to view devices that work.  The list of watches above in the preceding post are ones I believe come preloaded with the official Garmin hookup app.  The other watches under the "Compatible devices" tab and not listed above need to use the FREE "Dog Tracker" app by Eric Kutter on the Garmin site below to hook up.  Actually, Eric had his apps up and running quite long before Garmin, as you can see by the older watches he has listed that do work, yet Garmin still won't acknowledge they will.  Gee imagine that.  (New ones are more $$$)  And, Eric gives fantastic support if and when any issues arise.  Eric is a very proficient Retired Programmer who continually keeps his apps updated, seemingly as Garmin throws him curves with their updates.  Simple, quick, painless, foolproof.  Work fantastic.  Gives direction, distance on the screens.  Multiple dogs compatible.  You can easily program alerts such as start & or stop movement alerts, perimeter or boundary/geofence type alarms, etc.  Wouldn't be without it.  Really makes the Astro/Alphas work to the fullest.  Now you can concentrate on the dog, any 2 legged companions, and just the overall experience rather than juggling a gun, a transmitter without alarms, and trying to watch where you are going.

Just picked up a Garmin Vivoactive 3 last week on sale at Walmart for  $106.   Nice watch, well built ie. Gorilla Glass, waterproof, heart rate monitor, gps, fitness tracker, ...  Hooked right up to the Alpha after downloading the app.    No brainer.  Currently using an older Vivoactive HR for 2.5 years with no issues.  Bought from Garmin (Reconditioned) for $50 when I smashed the glass on its predecessor (No shame on watch, quite a hit.  Glad was on, bone might have smashed if not.).  You can leave the Astro/Alpha in your protected pocket if all you are doing is tracking.  No need for any case.  Couldn't pass this watch up, at that price.  They started over $300 when first came out.   So, now I have a backup for when the VA HR gives out.  

I just went and bought the viveoactive 3 at target for $130, looks like Eric has multiple dog tracker apps compatible with it. I had held off on a fenix for along time but at $130 this is a bargin to pair with my alpha. 

Speaks
On 1/24/2020 at 7:19 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Looking at his 3 apps for this any specific reason you prefer that one?

Ridge Runner

Speaks. 

Only reason I chose the 2 (1 app & 1 field) is those were the only ones that were compatible with my VA HR at the time.   When you go the the app "store" and do a search, if your watch is hooked up to the computer, it will normally bring up what apps/fields/widgets that are compatible with you phone.  Only 2 showed for the VA HR.  When I was setting up the VA 3, I think 5 came up.  Downloaded all to the watch.  Just haven't checked them out yet.  The VA 3 is more advanced than the VA HR, so he probably added some things to the app/field to make use of the improvements.  The last one looks like it has mapping built in by the pic.   

The field is different than the app as fields can be embedded into some of the other apps.  I combined it with a walking or hiking app that had some other features I find useful.  Been too long since I did it  and don't remember what app I coupled to the field, nor do I remember the procedure.  It wasn't tough, as I just did a google search and followed one that came up.   You can only either embed fields into Garmin Apps or 3rd party apps.  One or the other, and I forget which.    Toughest part was to find and pick the app to combine the field with.  

So, load all 3 and give them a whirl.  There is plenty room on the watch.  Then, pick the one or ones you like and have fun.  And, if any issues pop up, get ahold of Eric and he'll get you fixed up.