REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WAGinVA

Instinct Question

WAGinVA

So I got a Instinct to pair with my 320.  My problem is that the Instinct routinely shows the location of the dogs 90 to 180 degrees off, the 320 is showing the correct direction and the distance on both match.  Any suggestions?  I have updated software on both.

Jim Vander

I noticed similar when I first set mine up , I think its a timing issue between the collar updates and the watch refreshing the data. When you say routinely showing 90-180 degrees off I assume its not always off by so much? If you watch do you see it update correctly? I have no definite technical knowledge of the link between them and how it works but I have played with settings a lot and led me to this conclusion.  I believe there is a polling time between the watch and and the handheld and that updates between these cycles don't get displayed until next polling cycle. This almost has to be the case to provide good battery life, if the connection and updates were constant the radios in both units would be on and transmitting and receiving constantly.  I increased my update rate for the dog collar on the alpha to 5 seconds and it solved the problem for the most part.  I assume  the 320 has the same function. hope this helps

WAGinVA

Thanks Jim.  I already had my update rate set to 5 sec.  I contacted Garmin and they suggested unpairing and repairing the two.  I did this and it seemed to help for a couple of hours.  Hunted all day yesterday and for a extended time (hours) the Instinct read the same distance as the Astro but a significantly different direction than the Astro.  Since it is updating the distance I do not think it is a radio connection problem.  Back to the drawing board, contacting Garmin again this am.

grouse28

Probably a update timing issue. Check your handheld for update rate. 
Just to clear up how the GPS system works. The collar has a gps chip and a radio.

The handheld has only a gps chip and a radio receiver and a Bluetooth type transmitter.

The collar knows where it it by benefit of the gps chip, it then transmits it’s coordinates to the handheld.

The hand held also knows its position by benefit of its own gps chip, hence it’s coordinates.

The handheld then computes the direction and distance to the collar using simple trigonometry.

If your dog is moving fast and your update is set say for 5 seconds the dog can travel quite a distance in that time.

if the dog is out 200 yards that distance traveled will appear less of a direction than if your dog is 50 yards away.

Think of it as if you are at the corner of a checkerboard. The angle created by one square at the other side of the board will be smaller than one square next to you. So you can see that your directional arrow can be quite different.

The refresh rate creates a like a dot to dot kids drawing, the longer the refresh the further apart the dots are.

The refresh rate is only the sampling rate of the location coordinates. Nothing to do with the communication time between between the collar and the handheld or the calculation of the position of the collar, both of which are practically instantaneous as long as there is good gps reception. As another misconception about gps. GPS is transmit only from the satellites, and a very low wattage signal at that. There is never any two way communication to the satellites.

Other than that I have no idea what is causing your problem.

WAGinVA

Thanks Grouse28.  My handheld has always been set to 5 seconds.  My problem is that something is wacky with the communication between the Astro and the Instinct.  For long periods of time (minute to hours) the direction shown on the Instinct will be 90 to 180 degrees off from the correct direction shown on the Astro.  I have contacted Garmin twice, there first suggestion was to unpair and repair the two units and there second suggestion was to manually calibrate the Instinct.  I will update this thread as I go forward but I suspect I have a faulty Instinct.

blanked

i have this same problem with my 430 astro.    let me know what garmin says.   thanks

Illini

I also just bought an Instinct for use with my 320; seemed to work just fine.  However, I only used it twice then the dog got injured so very little useful experience.

If the 320 is basically correct with direction then it almost must be the Instinct; at least it sounds that way to me.  I do have experience with Garmin's customer service over the years and I have had very positive experiences.  They have not been shy about replacing products that don't function correctly.  Good luck and keep us posted.

WAGinVA

Update,

I calibrated the compass on the instinct:  No improvement

Based on Garmin's recommendation I made sure that the Astro was set to "track up" and made sure both units were set to the same north reference:  No improvement.

Have another e-mail request in to Garmin..

Speaks

I could imagine being 90 degrees off on a moving dog especially closer in but 180 is a bit crazy. I could also imagine the watch lagging behind the handheld a touch but again 180 degrees makes no sense. 

I bought a viveoactive this morning and used it with my dog today and while it was not perfectly in synch with the alpha it was pretty darn close. 

WAGinVA

Got an e-mail from Garmin today, they are replacing the Instinct.

Jazz4Brazo

👍👍🙂

Nice to see customer service is alive and well with some companies!!