REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
chilly460

New Bronco

chilly460

Car and Driver just did their forecast write up on the new Bronco.  Of course it’s all conjecture still, but they have industry info and gather every bit of data available.  They think it’ll be body on frame with removable doors and top, with turbo 4 and 6, and some talk of a manual being offered.  So basically leaning to a Wrangler format.  This would be a dream come true for me personally, I just can’t get along with the crossover type suvs.  I have the 2.7l ecoboost in a full size truck, it would be an amazing combo in a midsize SUV, and pull decent mileage.  Highly doubt it would come with a stick, but if it did that would be a great combo.  Looks big enough for two kennels in back plus plenty of gear, but small enough for trail work.  

Greg Hartman

Look pretty cool!  Apparently, it's going to be based on the new Ranger.  If so, that would make for one very serious mid-sized SUV, because the Ranger has amazing off-road capabilities, truly surprising power with the 2.3 liter turbo engine/10 speed tranny combo, good gas mileage, plus very good towing and hauling capacity.  The only things I really don't like about it is the cost - but I guess all decent new vehicles are expensive these days.

Where a Ranger-based SUV may fall down is on ride comfort, because the Ranger rides, well..., like a truck.  Also, I don't see how a manual tranny could begin to do as well as the 10-speed auto.  The Ranger's transmission seems to always be magically in the right gear.  As much as I enjoy the 6-speed stick in my two-seater, I wouldn't want a manual tranny in the Ranger.

bobman

I’d rather have a manual in a vehicle I go out in the boonies in so it could be pushed or rolled to start in a pinch

Curt

My niece and her husband own a Ford dealership near here and I was talking to them about the new Bronco and when it's coming to market just last week.  According to them it's due in the 4th quarter of this year and does use the new Ranger frame.

Ruger1

I read the article and accepting their predictions at face value ..... I vowed years ago that I'd never have another vehicle with a spare mounted on the rear off the vehicle. I had such a set-up on a Scout II (aftermarket - to save room inside) and what a royal pain in the a-s. It seemed no matter how I parked it- especially  just off a two-track when bird hunting - the angle was always wrong, gravity took over and the spare would swing back into its default position blocking access. Never again.

Ruger 1

Lurch
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 2:36 PM, Ruger1 said:

I read the article and accepting their predictions at face value ..... I vowed years ago that I'd never have another vehicle with a spare mounted on the rear off the vehicle. I had such a set-up on a Scout II (aftermarket - to save room inside) and what a royal pain in the a-s. It seemed no matter how I parked it- especially  just off a two-track when bird hunting - the angle was always wrong, gravity took over and the spare would swing back into its default position blocking access. Never again.

Ruger 1

Had the opposite problem - Very first pheasant hunt (age 7, carrying an empty H&R 12 single) I remember me, dad, and two other guys sitting on the back of a bronco dirivng down the road.  They decided I'd go with the driver to block, so Dad and the other two guys bailed, and I remained on the tailgate hanging on to the spare tire swingarm to keep it in place.  We started on down the road, not going fast - 20-30mph or so, and and the swingarm started to swing back away from the tailgate. I hung on for all I could, but my weight wasn't enough to keep it  back. I yelled, the driver looked in teh rear view mirror and didn't see me anymore, then he looked out the side mirror and saw my legs dangling from the spare tire swingarm out behind the vehicle.

I read teh C&D article last night, will be interesting to see how close their renderings are to reality. I liked it but the color choice had me thinking it Toyata FJ. I like the tool-less remvoable doors...

chilly460

I really don’t like automatics but concede the new many gear, computer controlled deals are very good.  They’ve gotten the shift/throttle configuration much better in the last few years, I test drove a BMW 550i just a few years ago and even the Germans hadn’t gotten it right, but my 2017 F-150 is pretty good.  That said, I’d still want a stick, just for the fun

dogrunner

I doubt it will be a stick and would rather have a regular motor without the turbo. 

Windrider

I saw something recently that had spy photos.

independent front suspension.

Looks like coils springs in that back instead of leaf springs like the Ranger.

Should  ride better than the Wrangler and the Ranger.

Here’s to hoping for a wheel base that’s good off road.  Like 103-106 inches.

Dogwood

Manual tranny would certainly add to the cool factor.

tomturkey2x2

This manual transmission you speak of? Is this where you have to mash that second brake pedal looking thing and move a stick around?

terrym

If Ford can bring to market a Wrangler competitor with Ford dependability it will sell like hot cakes. Although I wish they wouldn’t stick a turbo in it. I consider them a solution to a non existent problem. 

Mike da Carpenter
5 hours ago, tomturkey2x2 said:

This manual transmission you speak of? Is this where you have to mash that second brake pedal looking thing and move a stick around?

It’s also known as a Millennial anti theft device.

RookieEP
5 hours ago, terrym said:

If Ford can bring to market a Wrangler competitor with Ford dependability it will sell like hot cakes. Although I wish they wouldn’t stick a turbo in it. I consider them a solution to a non existent problem. 

Ford dependability lol that was a good one. Ask the poor Ford Focus & Fiesta owners about their transmissions.  Ford and Boeing deserve a reckoning. 

john mcg
55 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

It’s also known as a Millennial anti theft device.

Thank you for a good chuckle.