REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Cedar Swamp

Bell, not electric chair

Cedar Swamp

I am looking for an "electronic bell." When I have searched for "beeper collars," I get lots of hits offering products that have the little probe thingies to deliver "stimulation."

I'm not here to condemn such collars; it's just that stimulation is not a feature I require, so I'm unwilling to pay for it.

I simply want a compact beeper — don't really need a "hand-held transmitter," either, but I'd buy a unit that included one if that's the only thing available — that will beep every 10 seconds, say. Can anyone suggest a candidate? Thanks.

Salt Creek GSP

Check out Lovett’s beeper collars.

finsfurfeathers

For the life of me can't remember then name of the beeper but I picked it up at Basspro. Works well enough for woodcock/grouse hunting that I do. Like it as still can run a bell underneath Ya I like the bell for active motion but when the dog locks up easier to find 'em  when the beeper goes off.

49009503131_0a4f471fff_z.jpg

EB&Me

Garmin upland beeper might work well for you. It has several settings.

E6F38F5B-AABE-4C9C-BAA9-9E67AF6D48E8.jpeg

tnduxcaller

finsfurfeathers, that is a Sportdog brand from Knoxville, TN.  Cedar Swamp I use the black tube models like finsfurfeathers has on his dog.  They have another one that is like 1/4 moon shaped and a friend uses that type.  I would get the 1/4 moon type, because it has  push button to turn it on.  The black one you have to tighten  up an end cap to turn it on.  Good luck.

Cedar Swamp
21 hours ago, tnduxcaller said:

I would get the 1/4 moon type, because it has  push button to turn it on.

Does this look like what you're talking about?

762729481_SDBAO.thumb.png.b791d5474350f41d7882212a2d79b4ba.png

Ridge Runner

Mike,

Sent you a PM.

Allen McCallie
33 minutes ago, Cedar Swamp said:

Does this look like what you're talking about?

762729481_SDBAO.thumb.png.b791d5474350f41d7882212a2d79b4ba.png

I have use this model for years with complete satisfaction.

Allen

Cedar Swamp
1 hour ago, Allen McCallie said:

I have use this model for years with complete satisfaction.

Allen

Allen, thanks for the reply. The unit pictured in your post has no counterweight. The manual I found online advocates for a counterweight to keep the beeper on pup's neck. What is your experience in this regard?

Thanks, Michael

mccuha

Ive never used the electronic beeper. I ran into a guy hunting last week that used one on his dogs. It made an owl screech sound. This was out west and he said he could here it go off 1/2 mile away. Not sure about that but I guess it's possible but not with my ears.  Any way  Do you have a problem with birds getting jumpy or getting up when they here the bell/sound go off. We never had problems with real bells spooking birds when we used to run them.   I've thought about getting one but just never have .

Allen McCallie
10 minutes ago, Cedar Swamp said:

Allen, thanks for the reply. The unit pictured in your post has no counterweight. The manual I found online advocates for a counterweight to keep the beeper on pup's neck. What is your experience in this regard?

Thanks, Michael

My counterweight is the companion stimulation unit in the SportDog 1875 model, but the two can operate as separate units. I reckon any type of weight set opposite the beeper would do the trick, but even if the beeper slides around to the side I can usually still hear it.

One thing I like about this model is that it can be set to silent; beep on point; or beep once every ten seconds (maybe five?).

In the interest of full disclosure, when hunting I use this model in conjunction with my Garmin satellite collar.  The collar tells me generally where the dog is, but if I want the dog to turn, or to pay attention to me, I then give a brief "beep" and it almost always gets the desired result (rather than e-stim.)

When I just let my dogs run outside my house during the day, I just use this unit to generally let me know they are where they are supposed to be.

Mccuha, I do believe birds learn what beepers mean, so I usually run mine on silent.

Allen

Pomoxis

I have been wondering if a beeper would do this for me, so maybe one of you can answer. There are times early in the fall when ferns and other underbrush, or late in the year when there is snow on the ground (white dog) makes my dog invisible when I am walking up in point. My Alpha may say near but I cant see the dog. Could I just hit the button to beep once so I can get a quick location of the dog?

DTB

You can do that with the SportDog.You will need a transmitter though.

That is what I use on my cockers. We can hunt for days and never hit the beeper one time.When I do lose track of them for longer than I am comfortable with I hit the beeper and locate them. They seem to come back in on a beep also.

The good spaniel trainers will say that is unnecessary with a well trained dog. The remote beeper is my safety net and a safety measure that makes me more comfortable.