• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• 1971snipe

• Spiller

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On vacation in Arkansas and I got nominated to make after dinner cocktails for the guys last night. I made some blackberry/honey syrup in the afternoon and cooled it in the fridge. The syrup is made b

Negroni in the backyard with the dogs and some music.  Life is good.

Back to the basics  3 oz Beef Eater Gin  1 oz vermouth  2 blue cheese stuffed olives pint glass of ice  chilled martini glass Pour gin and vermouth into pint glass of ice

Posted Images

On 10/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, 1971snipe said:

I've been reading about best scotch for the money on another forum, (is there a similar thread here somewhere?).  If anyone has a scotch old fashioned recipe they'd recommend, please share.   

Heresy if you are talking Single Malt Scotch! Enjoy the different flavors they offer straight up IMHO.

I love me them Clamato Michelada's. I learned about them on one of my trips to Mexico. Those premade canned ones above are actually pretty good. There is an interesting thing about the cocktails of Mexico.  Probably most gringos think they drink a lot of tequila, they do, but actually the most popular high test in Mexico is brandy.  And brandy and coke is probably the most popular way to drink Mexican brandy.....Brandy and coke has 4 different names in Mexican spanish depending on the recipe, and how you order them at a restaurant or a bar....unfortunately, I can't remember any of those names as my spanglish had deteriorated without usage over the years....

Here is how it works...

Brandy and Coke, that specific cocktail had one unique name. Presidiente con Coke works but I Vaguely remember they had something unique....btw the coke in Mexico is made with sugar cane....and still comes in returnable glass bottles....

Brandy and coke with a splash of soda water had another specific name  for some reason I remember it is something like a chimichata

Brandy and half coke and half soda water had another name

and finally,  Brandy and soda water with a splash of coke had the fourth name....

If anyone who spends anytime south of the border can refresh those names for me I'd appreciate it.....just a curiosity....

2 hours ago, Spiller said:

I love me them Clamato Michelada's. I learned about them on one of my trips to Mexico. Those premade canned ones above are actually pretty good. There is an interesting thing about the cocktails of Mexico.  Probably most gringos thing they drink a lot of tequila, they do, but actually the most popular high test in Mexico is brandy.  And brandy and coke is probably the most popular way to drink Mexican brandy.....Brandy and coke has 4 different names in Mexican spanish depending on the recipe, and how you order them at a restaurant or a bar....unfortunately, I can't remember any of those names as my spanglish had deteriorated without usage over the years....

Here is how it works...

Brandy and Coke, that specific cocktail had one unique name. Presidiente con Coke works but I Vaguely remember they had something unique....btw the coke in Mexico is made with sugar cane....and still comes in returnable glass bottles....

Brandy and coke with a splash of soda water had another specific name  for some reason I remember it is something like a chimichata

Brandy and half coke and half soda water had another name

and finally,  Brandy and soda water with a splash of coke had the fourth name....

If anyone who spends anytime south of the border can refresh those names for me I'd appreciate it.....just a curiosity....

Not sure about the brandy drinks, I don't remember running across those.  But I've posted about Micheladas before somewhere here.  I saw an elderly lady at a table next to ours at Goode's Seafood in Houston drink several during her meal, and before we left I noticed that her last couple of them contained a raw oyster.  The waitress brought a glass with salted rim, containing the spicy-looking tomato juice cocktail concentrate to the table, dropped an oyster straight from the shell along with its' juices into the glass, stuck a large lime wedge onto the rim, and then left a bottle of beer (Modesto, perhaps) on the side.  The lady casually poured the beer into the mix and gulped almost half the concoction before she resumed eating her dinner.  

• 2 months later...

So I'm awfully lucky to have several bottles of different whiskey given to me this time of year.  In an effort to open some space in the liquor cabinet I made myself a whiskey sour (x2) last night.  Was easy to do and super yummy.

Scar's Whiskey Sour:

2 oz of any decent whiskey (I used something called Chattanooga Whiskey last night)

3/4 oz lemon juice (mine came from a little plastic bottle by way of the grocery store)

1/2 oz raspberry simple syrup (this is the secret!  recipe below)

stir with ice and serve in a rocks glass with half an orange wheel and a cherry for garnish.

Raspberry simple syrup: equal parts water and sugar simmered in a sauce pan.  Add a handful of frozen raspberries and simmer for at least 5 minutes.  Strain off fruit and cool.  Wonderful stuff and a perfect complement to the lemon juice in this recipe.

• 2 weeks later...
1971snipe

We forgot last night that we had a bottle of champagne, and I posted about on another forum.  Have it today at lunch?  Tonight?  Or wait til next new years eve.  Someone suggested mimosas, for brunch today perhaps.  Too late now for brunch, but I still may get some orange juice for tonight.  Never had a mimosa, as far as I can remember anyway.  

3 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

We forgot last night that we had a bottle of champagne, and I posted about on another forum.  Have it today at lunch?  Tonight?  Or wait til next new years eve.  Someone suggested mimosas, for brunch today perhaps.  Too late now for brunch, but I still may get some orange juice for tonight.  Never had a mimosa, as far as I can remember anyway.  

If you like old fashions you may enjoy a Seel Bach hotel cocktail

• 1 ounce bourbon
  • ½ ounce triple sec or Cointreau
  •  Angostura bitters
  •  Peychaud’s bitters
  • 5 ounces  sparkling wine or Champagne
  • Orange twist, for garnish

Chill Chamagne coupe in freezer

Mix whiskey, triple sec,bitter in glass with ice

Strain in to coupe

Top with Champagne

add orange twist to garnish

1971snipe
23 minutes ago, robp said:

If you like old fashions you may enjoy a Seel Bach hotel cocktail

• 1 ounce bourbon
  • ½ ounce triple sec or Cointreau
  •  Angostura bitters
  •  Peychaud’s bitters
  • 5 ounces  sparkling wine or Champagne
  • Orange twist, for garnish

Chill Chamagne coupe in freezer

Mix whiskey, triple sec,bitter in glass with ice

Strain in to coupe

Top with Champagne

add orange twist to garnish

Thanks, very interesting, and worth a try.  If I can locate some Peychaud's.  HNY.  

• 4 weeks later...
Millriver

I haven’t read every page yet but for those of you using simple syrup in your mixed drinks try substituting maple syrup instead. You’ll never go back and will probably find yourselves bidding on some in the UJ Auction this year! 😊