cocktails

19 hours ago, Scar said:

You are probably in a different part of the country than I but where would I most likely find "Fever Tree" tonic on the shelf?

Fever Tree can be found at Wally World and at Target where I live in Maine. I ain't a big G and T guy but that is good tonic water...I think Schweppes tonic is probably the better of the supermarket types...

It seems like many here like G and T as a summer drink. FWIW, my favorite summer drink is a Michelada which really isn't a cocktail since it is made from beer and not booze. (I guess you could call it a Beer Cocktail)

Many people I know, think it sounds disgusting and to many folks it is, but I slurp them down in frosty mugs when it is hot out.

To start making one, you "rim" a frosty mug with Tajin which is a Mexican off the shelf seasoning that is made of ground Chili peppers, salt and dehydrated lime juice. I can buy it at Wally World where I can also get the Fever Tree.

Into that frosty mug, squeeze in the juice of half a key lime, not an India (Persian) lime and throw it in.  Key lime is a key ingredient, they are also called Mexican limes or West Indian limes...I can buy them any time I want at the same Wally World believe it or not.

Then add a few dashes of Tabasco and then add another key ingredient, this is where most people decide they ain't in.  Two ounces of Clamato Juice.

Then fill 'er up with cold lager beer and then add some freshly ground pepper on top..... hhhhmmmm hhhhmmmmm

My wife gags watching me slurp them down.....one of my son's has developed a taste for them....the other one?...nnnnaaahhh......

BTW making a Bloody Mary with Clamato juice instead of Tomato juice, is called a Caesar cocktail (sometimes a Bloody Caesar) and it is basically the National Drink of Canada, I like them too.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• 1971snipe

• Spiller

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On vacation in Arkansas and I got nominated to make after dinner cocktails for the guys last night. I made some blackberry/honey syrup in the afternoon and cooled it in the fridge. The syrup is made b

Negroni in the backyard with the dogs and some music.  Life is good.

Back to the basics  3 oz Beef Eater Gin  1 oz vermouth  2 blue cheese stuffed olives pint glass of ice  chilled martini glass Pour gin and vermouth into pint glass of ice

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Scar said:

You are probably in a different part of the country than I but where would I most likely find "Fever Tree" tonic on the shelf?

Most stores (grocery) have their tonic water in the soda sections.  We sometimes buy a case through Amazon.  Fever Tree makes about 4 or 5 different types of tonic. They make India styles intended for gin.  They make Mediterranean style for vodka. They have a light India version for those on a diet.  The best one in my opinion is the elderflower version. It goes equally well with vodka or gin.

Gin and tonic year round for me--on the patio in the summer or winter--fire in the fire-pit in winter. I usually go with regular Bombay but love to try others too.  Unlike most folks, I don't like Hendricksons--I mean really--really--cucumbers?? 

A couple recommendations:

Old Raj Gin--saffron is added to it and gives it a terrific flavor and a yellow color. 

Gale Force--nice pepper finish

I usually mix with Schweppes diet tonic but will check for the light "Fever tree" online--love the name.  I read somewhere the Gin and tonic was "invented" as a way to treat malaria by making it easier to take quinine.  Purely for medicinal reasons.....

I don't like Hendricksons either, highly over rated IMHO...Fever Tree at Wally World and Target is not stocked with the Coke, 7-up, ginger ale, club soda and root beer, it is over where they have the pre made mix for Bloodies and Margies, the Coco Lopez for Pina Coladas, the bitters, simple syrup and cherries and stuff like that....usually they have some good brands of ginger beer in that section too...behind the wine aisle....

I’m no fun. I basically quit all alcohol a few months back. Beer just wasn’t doing anything for me anymore after the one beer buzz. After two I just feel like crap. My days of tying one on are over. Maybe I’ll start drinking beer again in the heat of the summer.

When I do have a cocktail it’s typically a vodka and tonic with a slice of lime. On rare occasions  I’ll go back in time and order a Tequila Sunrise. When my daughters are visiting in summer we usually have a lot of tropical type drinks that my youngest concocts. Flavored rums and pineapple juice, Mango juice etc., etc. She worked as a bartender in Dover NH while an undergrad at UNH. 

I’m not much of a drinker. Got nothing against it but if it was banned tomorrow it wouldn’t bother me. If I’m gonna have a mixed drink it will be Rum. If I’m gonna drink beer I want it to taste like beer so usually keep Heineken in the fridge. Just thinking about it now, New Year’s Eve was actually the last time I drank anything with alcohol in it. I guess I’m no fun either. 

23 hours ago, WAGinVA said:

Black Russian:  Equal parts good vodka and Kahlua.  Be careful they can be deadly.

Don't forget to add some half and half to make a Caucasian -The Dude

Mike Connally

I almost never take a drink. But when I do it will be bourbon, occasionally mixed with an ice cube. 

My current favorite is Belle Meade Reserve. A cask strength bourbon that handles ice very well. 

So yes...I do have a mixed drink occasionally. 

Over the holidays the cocktail of choice in our house was the Maple Syrup Old Fashioned. Basically substitute maple syrup (the real stuff, ideally from a nearby tree) for the simple syrup with a couple dashes of bitters and a bit of orange.  Tried it with a few different bourbons and other whiskeys. Favorite was ironically, Canadian whisky (Crown Royal as I recall). 

Very little booze anymore.  But . . . 

Sunday afternoon 4:30 pm.  Either a Perfect Manhattan ; Wild Turkey Rye 2 oz with 1/2 oz each Dolin red and white vermouth with a lemon twist on the rocks. OR Dry Martini with Bombay Red Gin 4 parts to 1 part Dolin dry vermouth with anchovie olives super ice cold. I like gins that are heavy on the juniper!

On 1/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, Spiller said:

I drink Martinis.  

My ratio is 4 units Beefeater to slightly less than 1 unit Martini and Rossi Extra Dry with a twist. The precise ratio is 3.7 to one....hahahahahahah

served cold, very cold...

I drink wetter Martinis now then when I was a kid.

I don't mind gin other than Beefeater but they should be about 94 proof like Tanqueray, Seagram's Distillers Reserve or Bombay Sapphire. 80 proof gin screws up the ratio....and as far as gin drinks, I'm not a fan of tonic water at all....but if that is what we're all drinking then I'm in.....

I don't mind a slug of whisky or whiskey.

Honestly, I usually drink cheap beer.

Brings back some fond memories of my drinking days. Beefeater martinis were my faves, but I indulged infrequently. I always had a bottle of M&R extra dry vermouth handy because I used so little of it. The Beefeater didn't last as long. No idea why??  😄

On 2/1/2020 at 4:57 AM, Spiller said:

Fever Tree can be found at Wally World and at Target where I live in Maine. I ain't a big G and T guy but that is good tonic water...I think Schweppes tonic is probably the better of the supermarket types...

It seems like many here like G and T as a summer drink. FWIW, my favorite summer drink is a Michelada which really isn't a cocktail since it is made from beer and not booze. (I guess you could call it a Beer Cocktail)

Many people I know, think it sounds disgusting and to many folks it is, but I slurp them down in frosty mugs when it is hot out.

To start making one, you "rim" a frosty mug with Tajin which is a Mexican off the shelf seasoning that is made of ground Chili peppers, salt and dehydrated lime juice. I can buy it at Wally World where I can also get the Fever Tree.

Into that frosty mug, squeeze in the juice of half a key lime, not an India (Persian) lime and throw it in.  Key lime is a key ingredient, they are also called Mexican limes or West Indian limes...I can buy them any time I want at the same Wally World believe it or not.

Then add a few dashes of Tabasco and then add another key ingredient, this is where most people decide they ain't in.  Two ounces of Clamato Juice.

Then fill 'er up with cold lager beer and then add some freshly ground pepper on top..... hhhhmmmm hhhhmmmmm

My wife gags watching me slurp them down.....one of my son's has developed a taste for them....the other one?...nnnnaaahhh......

BTW making a Bloody Mary with Clamato juice instead of Tomato juice, is called a Caesar cocktail (sometimes a Bloody Caesar) and it is basically the National Drink of Canada, I like them too.

I once watched an elderly lady at the table beside us at Goode Seafood restaurant in Houston down 4 micheladas.  And she was still going strong when we left.  If I'm not wrong they were dropping a raw oyster in the glass prior to pouring the beer into it.